0w20 vs 0/5w30 (yes I know another viscosity thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Gebo
. . .

My Son In Law goes by the book and runs a 0w-20 in his newer 4Runner. I shudder every time I walk by it while its idling.
It is so noisy. Rattle, rattle, rattle.

I run 0w-20 in the small-ish 1.8L I-4 in my Prius, also per the book. While driving at slower speeds, I often have to look at the panel and/or my Scangauge to tell whether the gas engine is even running. It's that smooth and quiet. Of course, if you really get on it, it sounds like any other engine winding up without a fuss.

From outside the car, even when cold, when the ICE lights-off, it idles quietly, with only slightly more noise then the robo-humm you hear when the car is in READY mode ("on" in hybrid speak), but without the ICE running. No rattling from 20wt oil -- or anything else for that matter...

I have a 2014 JK, in 2014 the 3.6 was spec'd with 5w20 while previous years were 5w30, as I'm sure you know. People say they're the same engine and that's mostly true but they did redesign the oil filter and switched to a higher volume oil pump because some of the early engines were having valve problems. A lot of guys run PP 5w30 because it's quite a thin 30. I don't know if they made more changes when they switched to 0w20, but I doubt it.

I have used nothing but 20 weight in mine without any issues at all. Lots of wheeling as well.

Last edited:
My KIA Sportage sounds as equally smooth or noisy on 5W-20 (oil cap) or 5W-30. As did my Sonata, Corolla and Veloster. Not a decibel of difference.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
We heavily overthink oil here! Either will work well in DD situations.

Amen

Originally Posted by wemay
... Not a decibel of difference.
Could be, in many cases. However, the placebo effect is alive and well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back