0w20? Trying something different this winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 focus st with the 2.3 with 86000 miles. I've been using QS ultimate duribility 5w20 for a few changes. I've been wondering about M1 0w20 and edge 0w20 which the 0w20's seem to be showing up more at wally world. I don't understand all the [censored] on the product data sheets so i ask you guys. School me on why i should use a 0w20. Is it just cold start performance in really cold conditions?

It doesn't get cold enough in Illinois to worry about the difference between a 5w-20 and 0w-20. Your Walmart has Edge 0W-20?

If I could get Edge in a 0W20, I'd use it, despite the fact that I rarely see temperatures under freezing. Its operating viscosity is lower @ 40C and slightly higher at 100C according to this thread , so I really don't see any downside. Based on the specs at least it just seems like a better oil.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen it out here anywhere. I certainly don't think 5W20 is going to kill my engine or anything, but if this were readily available I'd certainly try it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chuck wood
It doesn't get cold enough in Illinois to worry about the difference between a 5w-20 and 0w-20. Your Walmart has Edge 0W-20?

It was either walmart or advance auto parts. I was at both yesterday but am drawing a blank now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JCM35
I have an 05 focus st with the 2.3 with 86000 miles. I've been using QS ultimate duribility 5w20 for a few changes. I've been wondering about M1 0w20 and edge 0w20 which the 0w20's seem to be showing up more at wally world. I don't understand all the [censored] on the product data sheets so i ask you guys. School me on why i should use a 0w20. Is it just cold start performance in really cold conditions?

I'd go for the 0W20 it won't hurt, and in extreme cold flows better than 5W20. If you are using a synthetic and paying synthetic prices go for the 0W20. I tried M1 0W20, Amsoil 0w20, and I am now using Edge 0W20, which I like the best of the three. My engine is the quietest running with the Edge. Does that matter? Maybe, maybe not.

It doesn't get cold enough in Illinois to worry about the difference between a 5w-20 and 0w-20.

How cold is 'cold enough'?

It was -38°C in Rochelle last year and even in Chicago we routinely get several days in a row during winter of -28°C nights that don't get above -17°C during the day. The west/northwest suburbs tend to be the coldest parts on a regular basis.

Personally I see no reason to switch away from 5w20 in this application - especially considering the added cost of 0w20 - but citing climate doesn't resonate with me.

Originally Posted By: JCM35

It was either walmart or advance auto parts. I was at both yesterday but am drawing a blank now.

Advance definitely has it. I got some when EDGE was on oil change special. I wouldn't pay full price for it though.

It's supposed to save you some gas when the oil is cold on start up but the general consensus seems to be that you'll end up spending more on the added cost of the oil than you'll save from any gas savings. Honestly, the only reason I got some was because I was curious. It's nowhere near as cold in Maryland as it is in Chicago for you

If it's on sale and the same price as the 5w-20 go ahead and get some. It wont hurt and you'll get to see any difference for yourself. Both are good, go with which ever is cheaper, I've heard several people say their vehicle ran smoother with Edge, but I've got the M1 in my car right now (but in a 0w-30) and I have no problems with it.

Both will work for your climate, if you can find a good deal on the 0w20 I definitely don't think it will hurt to use it. The best cold flow you can get, the better for your engine.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
When it's about 15 deg F or colder, the '0' version will be better.

More like -25F. 15W-40 starts fine until down around +15F. A synthetic 0W vs a 5W @ 15F would be indistinguishable.

Edge 0W-20 has the best low temp pumping viscosity around and a viscosity index of 220. Some true space age stuff.

In the real world, at about 10-15 F and below is where you can start to see/feel the difference.
Of course at 25 below zero, it is much more so.
You don't have to be in the worst possible circumstances to have a benefit.

I live in Buffalo, we are nowhere as cold as you guys in the Midwest. Temps rarely stay at single digits for long.

I'm sticking with cheap 5w30 dino (Peak) for this winter. The previous years have usually been Quaker state 5w30.

I don't see the need for 0w30 in this climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back