0W20 shortage at Walmart

The Wally’s close to me uses a robot to scan for items that need restocking.
I think those do physical restocking, yeah ? They don't need a person or a robot to check/confirm inventory levels. While the stock count in their "computer" may not be 100% accurate, down to the exact number of pieces, it will be close enough for re-ordering purposes, showing trends, and so on.

I bought 0w20 and 5w30 oil a week ago for oil changes and the local WM was fully stocked with all oils.

I think those do physical restocking, yeah ? They don't need a person or a robot to check/confirm inventory levels. While the stock count in their "computer" may not be 100% accurate, down to the exact number of pieces, it will be close enough for re-ordering purposes, showing trends, and so on.

I think it views the shelf and if it looks empty it scans the tab below. Probably not a exact science.

They also have security bots and floor cleaning bots too. It gets interesting to watch sometimes.

I think it views the shelf and if it looks empty it scans the tab below. Probably not a exact science.

They also have security bots and floor cleaning bots too. It gets interesting to watch sometimes.
Wally World is the most computerized store in the world. Big data algorithms running on huge data farms crunching numbers constantly by so many parameters. They hire Data Scientists tight outta school for $150K and up, $200K, more.

Last edited:
Plenty here in AZ, none in Rotella Gas truck. My two preferred brands of aftershave are RGT, and Mobil 1, seems that Wally World only gets Mobil 1 0w20 in afe formulation no Mobil 1 filters at all which was surprising, had to go with a K&N for my last change.

Last edited:
Wally World is the most computerized store in the world. Big data algorithms running on huge data farms crunching numbers constantly by so many parameters. They hire Data Scientists tight outta school for $150K and up, $200K, more.

It's my experience when they are out of stock of an item-it takes several days-even weeks for it to get back on the shelf. I have seen this on numerous occasions.

Saw this at Wally World the other day.

1E8F9998-6556-4641-920E-10AFA1C71BF2.jpeg

It's my experience when they are out of stock of an item-it takes several days-even weeks for it to get back on the shelf. I have seen this on numerous occasions.
That's why I don't bother hasseling with the store. Click-click-click and i have it in 2 days. Easy peasey.

I've often wondered if enough DIY/at-home oil-changers or even if repair shops come in and buy "all" bottles they have off the shelf. Algorithms can't compensate for this until it happens often enough that they substantially adjust their on-hand quantity or quantity and order frequency.

Saw this at Wally World the other day.

View attachment 31828

yeah. I posted a VOA of it a couple weeks ago in the virgin oil forum. It’s Super thin but my wife has made comments about how much quieter the engine is. We will stick with it in her car, but I don’t know about running that thin in my Tundra since I tow with it a ton.

I think the “carbon neutral“ advertising fits right in with the typical marketing driven approach of all oil companies. We have oils for “Advanced Fuel Economy“...”Gas Trucks”...etc. “Carbon neutral“ is one of those keywords that resonates with some buyers.

I've often wondered if enough DIY/at-home oil-changers or even if repair shops come in and buy "all" bottles they have off the shelf. Algorithms can't compensate for this until it happens often enough that they substantially adjust their on-hand quantity or quantity and order frequency.
I have seen guys wearing shop issued shirts doing exactly that. Some on here have said that small shops can actually buy oil a little cheaper at Walmart then oil distributors.

my local tire shop also does oil changes. They send a runner down the road to pick up oil at Walmart. The owner said that so many different cars have such different oil requirements that it’s cheaper for him to send a runner than to keep stock. His ”standard“ oil change is super tech.

The owner said that so many different cars have such different oil requirements that it’s cheaper for him to send a runner than to keep stock.
Completely believable. I mean, people here go absolutely livid when a shop puts in a different oil than their car specs (while 9 out of 10 people know it's a non-issue) but this is why shops have bulk tanks, 250-gallon, or 55-gallon containers of 5W-30 that will be just fine for almost any car. If they have to use oil other than what they buy in bulk, they're losing money on an oil change. $15 ST, $4 bulk filter, labor, overhead, etc on a $29 oil change. There's no profit margin there...

... If they have to use oil other than what they buy in bulk, they're losing money on an oil change. $15 ST, $4 bulk filter, labor, overhead, etc on a $29 oil change. There's no profit margin there...
More likely they're using a $3 filter and charging $69.

Back