0W20 shortage at Walmart

Went in yesterday to buy what I need to change my oil. I could not find any 0W20 oil except some high mileage and a few small quarts. I had to settle for SuperTech 5W20.

Thought that was strange.

Went in yesterday to buy what I need to change my oil. I could not find any 0W20 oil except some high mileage and a few small quarts. I had to settle for SuperTech 5W20.

They were setting up to do inventory at my local Walmart last night. They rolled out all the new API SP formulations of Mobil1 including multiple kinds of 0W-20; regular, extended performance, and extended performance high milage. Maybe they were clearing shelves to make room for the rollout in your neck of the woods.

You should include your location and even the specific store to the subject. Local WM has Edge, Penzoil Platinum, M1 EP, ST Full Syn and HM Full Syn, QS UD, and so on.... many more in fact.

I don’t see our stock as low … but always see some Mobil 1 EP 0w20 row missing a couple jugs when the others are full. My guess is as some slowly move forward on range of OCI … based on owners manuals, friends, mechanics, the oil company claims, whatever … it’s like a safety factor for almost the same price. (they might be running half or 75%).
My boss for example is not really a car guy … but runs it 15k in an older Lexus … or his newer Tahoe OLM down to 5% … and buys the EP for both …

You can order online for free in-store pickup. You might try Autozone if you have them there, they had Idemitsu 0W-20 for $15 jugs and $4 qts here. The 5W-30 was same price...

Our local stores went through that but now it is appearing, as others have said, in GF6/SP formulation. The M1 EP and EP HM took awhile, but it is finally showing up. So I think the transition did indeed have something to do with it.

Plenty of 0w-20 here in Raleigh, most brands. I stopped running 0w-20 when I moved here thanks to the mild winters.

Not really. The demand for 0w20 is increasing as more DIYers are getting vehicles calling for 0w20. This will catch a manager off guard, who knows nothing about the vehicle world.

Reactions: JC1
Some WM stores are just crappy with lazy managers, that's about. Here too in MD we have almost empty oil shelves. Had to order M1 0w40 and it's arriving Sat.

This will catch a manager off guard
I think they took the local personnel out of ordering standard stocked items a long time ago. Sure, a manager can special-order an item here or there but they're not (manually) ordering engine oils, wiper blades, TV, etc, etc.

I think they took the local personnel out of ordering standard stocked items a long time ago. Sure, a manager can special-order an item here or there but they're not (manually) ordering engine oils, wiper blades, TV, etc, etc.

The Wally’s close to me uses a robot to scan for items that need restocking.

Back