0w20 recommendations 2012 Forester, FB25

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to look for some UOAs, but with a limit on the search dates, I seem to be coming up empty. Wife got a 12' Forester (20,000 miles) with the FB25 2.5L Engine. OM calls for 7500 mile OCIs with 0w20 oil. Anyone found an off the shelf 0w20 that is trending with good results in this motor? I don't mind sticking to the factory 0w20, but I see Castrol and M1, etc offer 0w20 flavors.

Thanks

Mine seems not to care at all what oil I use, so pick your favorite.

Wal Mart has some really good choices:
Mobil 1 AFE and Mobil 1 EP are now in 0W-20. I have seen the EP the same price as the AFE (which blew my mind).
Valvoline Synpower 0W-20.
QSUD in 0W-20.
PP in 0W-20.

The QSUD is something near $21 per 5 quart jug. PP was not that much more, nor were the Mobil options. Valvoline Synpower was $24 or so.

You are going to need a +1 quart for the change, hope you don't mind having a "growler" around to make up the difference.

There are a lot of people with high oil consumption on the FB equipped Foresters, so check your oil at every fill up (you probably do anyway, being a BITOG memeber). I have found mine to be hyper-sensitive to inclination angle. I can "gain" a quart by turning mine around at the same gas pump.
You might want to mention the potential oil consumption to your wife before the engine is two quarts low in a spring snowstorm, across town from you.

I'll have a Pennzoil Platinum 7,500 UOA in a few months. Stay tuned!

Regarding oil use, I saw a half-quart disappear before 7,500. It's since stabilized and I'm not noticing any use. I'm at 16,200 now.

Last edited:
M1 AFE seems like a good performer in a variety of applications.
There's also PP, QSUD and Synpower at Walmart.
All seem to work pretty well in their current formulations.
There are a lot of 0W-20 choices and any of them would work well in your Forester.
You might go to the Pennzoil and Quaker State sites and register your car for their engine warranty promos.
This will yield you twenty dollar MIRs on jugs of PP and QSUD, both available at Walmart.
This will give you a couple of cheap oil changes using good oils in the correct grade.

I have used M1, PP and QSUD in the wife's '13 Legacy with the FB engine. No big difference in any three except I have seen a slight amount of oil usage (1/4 quart?) on the latest change with QSUD. I know this seems to happen sometimes when you switch between brands of synthetics and attribute it to that. All have served the purpose well and I'd recommend any. Go with your favorite label.

Mobil 1 always appears to be the most popular 0w20. For my own application, it is the only 0w20 I know of that meets Ford specs.

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan

You are going to need a +1 quart for the change, hope you don't mind having a "growler" around to make up the difference.

There are a lot of people with high oil consumption on the FB equipped Foresters, so check your oil at every fill up (you probably do anyway, being a BITOG memeber). I have found mine to be hyper-sensitive to inclination angle. I can "gain" a quart by turning mine around at the same gas pump.
You might want to mention the potential oil consumption to your wife before the engine is two quarts low in a spring snowstorm, across town from you.

Yeah I don't mind. I typically stock up on 30-50 quarts of oil at a time, so I don't have to fiddle with buying it.

I've read about the FB25 consumption problems, and thought that was the 2011 models, and most if they had the problem got new rings. I'm still keeping an eye on it though
smile.gif
Looking through the service records, I don't see any notes about it being low on oil.

Anyone messed with the Castrol 0w20?

I have a 2013 Outback with same engine and a manual transmission. I have used Amsoil in all vehicles and engines since the 1970s, so I chose their Signature 0W20 oil. The Subaru branded synthetic is also supposed to be pretty good.

My experience with oil usage is a little disappointing. The car seems to use a quart about every 4,000 miles. Except for my rotary engined Mazdas (which are designed to use oil), I can't remember adding oil to anything I have owned for many decades, and I change oil at 7,500 mile increments. No oil was used until the third oil change, but I know why that was. Upon delivery and the first free oil change at the dealership, the oil level was grossly overfilled. The oil level was up past any markings on the dipstick. When I change it myself, it is always exactly at the full level. I hope they did no damage by overfilling it. I never saw any indication of foaming.

I've used M1 and PP 0W-20 in my FB25, both with good success. I switched from M1 to PP because of some nice $10 rebates on the PP. But I have liked it. My engine runs very quiet and smooth. I had easy starts during the cold winter months. My oil consumption is about .25 - .3 quarts per 7,500 mile OCI with PP.

I'm expecting UOA from Blackstone any day now, from my 22,500 mile (7,500 mile OCI) PP OC. I'll post it when I get it.

Reading on the Q&A section that Penzoil gave us about their new oils, I saw that they will be offering 0W-20 in the new Penzoil Ultra Platinum. I also recently saw that 0W-20 can now be had in M1 Extended Performance. Although I am going to stay with the 7,500 mile OCI until the warranty is over, since the M1EP is the same price as M1 Advanced Fuel Economy, I may try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back