0W20 Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up some API SM 0W20 @$1.50/quart. Will this be OK for my 2001 Civic spec'd for 5W20? Summer and winter?
dunno.gif

Is this 0w20 Honda brand? Is it full synthetic or dino? Where can I get some for $1.50/quart?

It is Honda brand. My local distributor had it. If it is OK for )! Civic, what would be a good OCI??
cheers.gif

Depends on how you drive. Lots of highway driving, or mostly city? I'd save it for the winter if youre in a colder climate. But it should do just fine all year round.

Buy a hundred quarts of the stuff, then sell it to guys like me with Honda Civic Hybrids. My car calls for 0W20 but can use 5W20 if the other is not available. Mobil 1 is available for $8.50 a litre and Penzoil plat was in our local WM but only briefly and they won't get it back in. It sold for $6.50 for the month that they had it.
Is the 0W20 that you received a dino? That would be a very rare creature!!

I do not think a 0/20 can be dino. It has to be synthetic to get to that low a weight.
5/20's can be dinos but all oils with 0W have to be synthetic. This is what I remember reading on here.

Well I wipmed out. I called two dealers and both said they wouldn't run it in a 01 Civic. So i took it back and exchanged the 7 quarts for 1 qt. M1 5w30 and six of Mobil synthetic blend High Mileage 5W30. I'll use it in the Caravan. Maybe I should buy up th 0W20 and post for sale!
cheers.gif

These dealers don't know squat. And you should be ashamed of yourself for listening to them. 0W-20 is perfectly acceptable where a 5W-20 is called for, summer or winter. At $1.50/qt it's a steal and probably the best deal ever next to free. It's most likely a full PAO syn, gawd what a bargain.

quote:

Originally posted by lyle:
These dealers don't know squat. And you should be ashamed of yourself for listening to them. 0W-20 is perfectly acceptable where a 5W-20 is called for, summer or winter.

worshippy.gif
x2

Absolutely. I have been running 0w20, and it has 33,000 miles, after the factory fill changed at 10,000 miles. MPG in a daily 54 miles R/t is between 37-42 mpg.

I've run 0W-20 Mobil 1 since the second oil change in my 2004 Honda Accord 4cy.

Mobil confirmed to me via email this oil can be run year long.

Remeber the engine is water cooled and is held to fairly consistant temps regardless of outside air temp.

I have never heard of 0w20 DINO. Does anybody know who makes this oil? If this is rebadged Mobil 1 0w20 then it is a steal at 1.50 a quart.

Did you find out if it was synthetic or not? If you don't get any more could you please get the email address of the place you got it from. I need to see if they will ship to Canada!

quote:

Originally posted by lyle:
These dealers don't know squat. And you should be ashamed of yourself for listening to them. 0W-20 is perfectly acceptable where a 5W-20 is called for, summer or winter. At $1.50/qt it's a steal and probably the best deal ever next to free. It's most likely a full PAO syn, gawd what a bargain.

x3!

I was checking that oil out at the Honda dealer last year, but all their stock was the old SJ-rated stuff and it was $5/quart, so I passed on it and used M1. I would have stocked up if it was SM at $1.50 a quart!

With so many different possible oil groups and combinations of oil groups used to make an oil that meets grade and specs, why does everyone get so concerned over whether an oil is labelled as "synthetic"?

Hey 1bioguy, where are you? You can't leave us hanging the way you have. Where did you get this oil, is it dino, is it SM. Please pass on this info. Thanks!!

For some reason, my 2001 Civic starts every day and gets 36mpg on 0w20 M1, even after 7k. Something must be awfully wrong with it and I better get the dealer's opinion because they're obviously smart enough NOT to know their own product.
Why can't we purchase direct from the factory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back