0w20 full syn. vs syn. blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what are the gains to using the blends offered by Honda, Toyota etc. over the full synthetics like Mobil 1 and others are advertised as? Knowing M1 isn't a true synthetic of course, but still.

Mobil 1 isn't a true synthetic?
36.gif

It's up to you and your car's lifestyle.

I am Mr. Honda. Welcome!

I use 5w20 PP in my CR-V which now has 210,000 in it. It really didn't like M1 EP when I put that in at 187k. It leaked and burned. It has since fixed itself regarding those issues since I put the PP back in. This car is mostly highway and has been since day 1. To be fair, I've done 2 UOA's on it and I ran this oil for 13k. Flawless. PM me for the report. I usually go 10k on PP.

I run M1 0w20 in my 2008 Pilot exclusively because the wife drives about 5 feet (exaggeration) and shuts it off. I need the "cold" protection for this reason. Zero issues. I run this oil until the MM says 5%.

Your proverbial mileage and experiences may vary.

As they say on this board

I cant think of any advantages of using a blend over a synthetic. The only reason I used the Honda Blend 0w20 for my last OCI was because I got all 5 quarts shipped to my door for under $10 on Amazon, now they are $13 per quart. Keep using the M1 and Fram Ultra, exact same combo that I have on my Accord now. Runs great on this combo. Might have a winner!

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
"Well they aren't doing it to be nice. They are doing it so they don't get sued when people get shrapnel in the face."
----silverrat, 10/16/14

So you discovered time travel and you used it to check out BITOG 10 days from now?

So sad. You should have done it to see how your UOA turned out.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
"Well they aren't doing it to be nice. They are doing it so they don't get sued when people get shrapnel in the face."
----silverrat, 10/16/14

So you discovered time travel and you used it to check out BITOG 10 days from now?

Did you get two threads mixed up?

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
So what are the gains to using the blends offered by Honda, Toyota etc. over the full synthetics like Mobil 1 and others are advertised as? Knowing M1 isn't a true synthetic of course, but still.

As far as I am concerned, M1 is a synthetic oil. As is PP, PU, Castrol Edge etc.

^ nope that's Chris Meutsch's signature at the time I posted.

Oh I see now. He quoted a post from my other thread, my bad.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
From what I hear it is mostly group III oils. I am sure there 0w20 is better though.

From what many say on here, the AFE line of oils uses a good chunk of PAO base oils.

I use syn blend sometimes on my high mileage vehicles that i use high mileage oil in the summer and syn blend in the winter pennzoil says its syn blend is at least 50% synthetic. (synthetic is a tricky word) But i believe its good oil anyway.

On my other cars i use our bulk which is now gulf i think

I'm a big fan of M1 AFE 0W20 oil ...Previous fill was various 5W20 dino and synthetic oils.

----silverrat, 10/16/14

So sad. You should have done it to see how your UOA turned out.

I may have had a drink before I changed my signature......fixed now!

many oils are "synthetic" only in USA, technically i like to say group III oils. yes they are quite good for a highly purified dirty petroleum product. since the word "propriety" where manufacturers hide info so we can't compare we really do not know whats used in them. some group IV PAO or group V oil may be necessary to meet the 0W spec. some specs can be "propped up" with cheap short lived additives as well. a low pour point for instance should have a good HTHS otherwise its prolly "propped up" comparing to Amsoil specs for their top line PAO group IV oils is a good guideline IMO

You sure know a lot about severe hydrocracking, where did you learn so much?

Originally Posted By: benjy
many oils are "synthetic" only in USA, technically i like to say group III oils. yes they are quite good for a highly purified dirty petroleum product. since the word "propriety" where manufacturers hide info so we can't compare we really do not know whats used in them. some group IV PAO or group V oil may be necessary to meet the 0W spec. some specs can be "propped up" with cheap short lived additives as well. a low pour point for instance should have a good HTHS otherwise its prolly "propped up" comparing to Amsoil specs for their top line PAO group IV oils is a good guideline IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back