0W20, 5W30, 5W40 and 10w30 for Honda Civic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But no 0W20 for the TYPE R.
Its nice to see Honda's viscosity recommendations when not bound by CAFE rules and fines.
Check page 388 of the Japanese Civic Owners Manual.
Click my link above, the instruction manual link, it agrees, and the ninth PDF down. Once the 10 page PDF loads click over to the 7th page of it to see the oil chart.
hornets_nest.gif
hide.gif
popcorn.gif

There is no evidence though that there is any problem with using a 0W20. Lots of people have had great UOA using it

Actually, because of government regulations in the US (CAFE), manufacturers have to list in their owner's manuals the viscosity they used to obtain the mpg figures they advertise. Most engines will run just fine and last just as long on many different viscosities. My 1980 Pontiac's owner's manual lists 9 different viscosity combinations that are acceptable, depending on the ambient temperature. It lists oils all the way from 10 weight single grade to 20W50 multigrade. A Honda Civic engine will be just fine with any of the viscosities listed in this thread at any temperature likely to be encountered in this country.

Both the Current US Civic Si and the Acura RSX, Same basic engine - roughly 200 hp, call for 5w-30.

I'm currently running Delo 400 15w-40 with a auto-rx rinse on my 93 Civic, however I have no intention of keeping it in there when temps drop into the 20's.

Regarding the American spec's for the Honda Si/Acura engine, I was wondering if they allowed use of a 10W-30 in hotter climates? Or if they mention the use of synthetics?

Last edited:
Exactly Jon,
It’s MY OPINION which I don’t have to justify to you with any “evidence.”
I didn’t make any “claims”, say anything negative about 0W20, or “That 0w-20 isn't good for any engine that makes peak power at 8000rpm.” I said that “I wouldn’t use it in an 8000 RPM engine.” I did say in my first post that Honda doesn’t recommend it for the “TYPE R” and the “evidence” is there if you follow the link.

Now I’ll get flamed for quoting the Japanese owners manual, but guess what? This board has plenty of American owner’s manual quotes about straying from 5W20. The point of my first post was and still is: “It’s nice to see Honda's viscosity recommendations when not bound by CAFE rules and fines.”

Quote:

Exactly Jon,
It’s MY OPINION which I don’t have to justify to you with any “evidence.”
I didn’t make any “claims”, say anything negative about 0W20, or “That 0w-20 isn't good for any engine that makes peak power at 8000rpm.” I said that “I wouldn’t use it in an 8000 RPM engine.” I did say in my first post that Honda doesn’t recommend it for the “TYPE R” and the “evidence” is there if you follow the link.

Now I’ll get flamed for quoting the Japanese owners manual, but guess what? This board has plenty of American owner’s manual quotes about straying from 5W20. The point of my first post was and still is: “It’s nice to see Honda's viscosity recommendations when not bound by CAFE rules and fines.”

I agree with you on the point that it is interesting that the JDM/EDM manuals recommend different viscosities than the USDM manual but I disagree that it is all down to CAFE. The only real way to prove anything would be to run UOAs on all the different viscosity oils, which I would be happy to do if someone would present me with a free JDM Type-R.
laugh.gif

Jon

Who knows why? Honda has always exceeded CAFE requirements and I don't see them needing CAFE credits. Environment issue? Interestingly enough, no domestic manufacturer is on the list of collected CAFE fines either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back