0w vs 10w starting properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I have an old 05 GMC Sierra 6.0 as a work truck and it has 323k from when I bought it new and it has never had an engine or transmission component replaced other than the alternator. The internals are all original. The engine has developed a small tick about 4 months ago that does goes away when at operating temp.

Would it be a good idea to switch from 5w-30 what I've always used to 10w-30 or 15w-40 universal?. I don't think 20w-50 is necessary but if any of you recommend it I'll try it.

Would the thicker oil at cold temps provide better protection and help the small tick since the coldest it was this year was around 35f. Now it's around 50-70f in jan-feb but the extra thickness couldn't harm could it? and is it possible that too thin oil is bad when it isn't needed? I always thought the thinner the cold oil the better but now I'm not sure since it's not even that cold to begin with.

A high mileage engine might have some stretch on the timing chain (is it running rough?). I'd probably ignore it unless it gets a lot worse. A thinner oil will get to poorly lubricated areas first, but at 35deg, a 0w or 10w will likely make no difference. You might want to try a different brand of oil and/or oil filter.

Last edited:
For one thing, have a look at your exhaust manifold bolts. The end bolt on both ends of the manifold can bust off allowing an exhaust leak that sounds like a tick. I used Permatex Ultra Copper to seal the leak and it helped.

If it's not that it, you could always start out by trying a 10w30 first.

Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
I would look for broken exhaust manifold bolts if the tick goes away when it gets up to operating temp.

Haha. Great minds think alike.
laugh.gif

I changed the timing chain 28k ago and the tensioner is fine. I thought it could be the valve clearance and I think I'll check that this weekend if I have time The engine does run smooth and quiet though. Doesn't feel tired honestly I just don't want it to get worse over time.

Originally Posted by NO2
A high mileage engine might have some stretch on the timing chain (is it running rough?). I'd probably ignore it unless it gets a lot worse.

Sometimes, you can find evidence of this in your oil filters if you are cutting them open after an oil change.

Originally Posted by JavierH19
I changed the timing chain 28k ago and the tensioner is fine. I thought it could be the valve clearance and I think I'll check that this weekend if I have time The engine does run smooth and quiet though. Doesn't feel tired honestly I just don't want it to get worse over time.

The timing chain is not a engine component?

My engine had a tick, when the valve clearances were done, it went away.

The exhaust manifold might be cracked if it's ticking when cold. You won't see the crack unless you take the heat shield off.

Another possibility is a lifter starving for oil on start-up. If it's the furthest lifter away from the oil flow route, that may be it.

In the meantime, 10W-30 won't hurt anything. People think that 10W-30 is twice as thick as 5W-30 when cold. Don't let the numbers play tricks on your mind.

Originally Posted by dave1251

The timing chain is not a engine component?

I was thinking the same thing. LOL.

You could try a thicker oil and see what it does to the ticking sound.

How much does it cost to change a timing chain?

I get the impression you think that the number in front of the W is a viscosity number and that a 5W-xx is "5 thin" when cold and a 10W-xx is "10 thin" when cold. Is this correct? Because if so, that's not how it works.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I get the impression you think that the number in front of the W is a viscosity number and that a 5W-xx is "5 thin" when cold and a 10W-xx is "10 thin" when cold. Is this correct? Because if so, that's not how it works.

Very true. Having said that, I'm sure there is a linear correlation between the "W" rating and an oil's thickness at a particular cold temp. It's probably just less exaggerated than the OP expects.

Of course it's a blunt tool. However, given similar formulations (i.e. comparing the same brand/line), a 5W-30 should be thinner than a 10W-30 at most ambient temperatures.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46

Very true. Having said that, I'm sure there is a linear correlation between the "W" rating and an oil's thickness at a particular cold temp. It's probably just less exaggerated than the OP expects.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

Of course it's a blunt tool. However, given similar formulations (i.e. comparing the same brand/line), a 5W-30 should be thinner than a 10W-30 at most ambient temperatures.

Gentlemen:

There are folks out there that think a 0w-xx is "like water" when cold and thickens up as the temperature increases. That was the potential impression I got from the OP, and what I was trying to clarify as per his perception as to how this worked. Hope that clears that up.

I see what you were getting at now. Be curious to know the KV of 0/5/10/15W-xx oils at 0C temp.

You can use a visc calc, they work down to around 0C, but lose accuracy significantly when you get below that.

I see what you were getting at now. Be curious to know the KV of 0/5/10/15W-xx oils at 0C temp.

You can use a visc calc, they work down to around 0C, but lose accuracy significantly when you get below that.

Even with the amount of VII in 0/5W oils? I thought the operational viscosity calculator only really worked well for monogrades to any real accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back