0W oils; is the fear eligible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by fdcg27
It may be that these Euros are looking at the trees but not seeing the forest and many here are the same in their thinking.
We have many engines here for which 0W-20 is the recommended grade.
They run many miles on this grade without issues.
Prior to this, low HTHS 5W-20 and 5W-30 grades were the norm for decades here.
Guess what?
The engines did just fine on these fuel efficient oils.
Speed?
If the average German really wants to experience higher speeds for more than a few miles at a time and not in the dead of night, then they should visit West Texas or Montana. Plenty of wide open spaces with few interruptions.

Problem are third world country roads, not open space.

Not sure what you're trying to convey here.
Did you mean to imply that the EU has roads in the sticks that are third world, to use your no longer current term?
The interstates through West Texas and Montana, the two states that I cited, are on a par with anything you'll find anywhere in Europe for more than a few miles or kilometers and they are very lightly trafficked, especially in Montana.
Get out a bit in this country and you'll see what I mean.
Lots of pristine interstate miles in flyover country where you can run really fast for hours on end.

I go to Montana often and was twice in West TX this year. Quality wise they are FAR BEHIND anything in the EU. I am talking about quality of roads, not whether one can drive for hours fast.
On US roads, if I am driving really fast, I want first to have absolute knowledge of every inch of that road (I am talking about illegal speeds, not 85-90mph. That is not fast). In EU, and even countries outside EU, low quality autobahn style roads are exception, not a rule.
American interstate system is still where German was when Ike rolled his tanks and copy/pasted it here.

I have never driven in west Texas but I have driven all over the western US, including Montana, and all over southern Central Europe. Italy, Switzerland, Slovenia, Croatia, etc. The roads in Europe are basically glass. You can drive for days before finding a pothole.

Originally Posted by Zolton
I believe 0w-40 (and Euro 0w-30) were developed for this very reason; 5w-40 is too thick in cold to lube a turbo quickly ,or for VVT, or even for short-hop driving. 5w-40 is 3-4x thicker than 5w-30 in extreme cold.

How do you know that number? And what is extreme cold? And which 5W-30?

Are you sure it is 3-4X thicker?

I have never driven in west Texas but I have driven all over the western US, including Montana, and all over southern Central Europe. Italy, Switzerland, Slovenia, Croatia, etc. The roads in Europe are basically glass. You can drive for days before finding a pothole.

When one goes to the West TX, one goes bcs. he/she must go, not because one chooses to go.
Last year I was driving to NOLA, and going through OKC on I35. I hit such pothole, my wife said: can you check Yakima on the roof? I am afraid we lost it.

Last edited:
Gonna throw this right here...

BMW TwinPower Turbo Longlife-12 FE 0W30.
--VI 203.
--HTHS 3.21 .
--SA 0.4 .
--TBN 7.8 .
--NOACK 9.9
--FP 220 .
--100 degrees C 9.711 .

All suggesting significant Group IV and or Group V content.

We have a thin, stable 0W30, with a very low SAPS.
Suitable for turnpikes, Bundesautobahn, and the race track, eh ?

Originally Posted by Zolton

I believe 0w-40 (and Euro 0w-30) were developed for this very reason; 5w-40 is too thick in cold to lube a turbo quickly ,or for VVT, or even for short-hop driving. 5w-40 is 3-4x thicker than 5w-30 in extreme cold.

Let's look at some available data from Pennzoil ... using the Euro oils. It appears that yes, the 5w40 is thicker, but not 3 - 4 x ... more like 30 - 50 %.

PP Euro L 5w30 :

CCS Viscosity @-30C cP

MRV Viscosity @-35C cP

PP Euro 5w40 :

CCS Viscosity @-30C cP
6 300

MRV Viscosity @-35C cP
19 500

When one goes to the West TX, one goes bcs. he/she must go, not because one chooses to go.
Last year I was driving to NOLA, and going through OKC on I35. I hit such pothole, my wife said: can you check Yakima on the roof? I am afraid we lost it.

So you failed to avoid a massive pothole in an urban area expressway and this should somehow signify that US roads are generally bad?
I've driven across this country more than a couple of times using both northern and southern routes and found the roads to be pretty good.
The roads in Europe are certainly not better maintained in every case even though the larger US states rival the land area of the larger EU nations.

In MN it can be -10 regularly for weeks on end so what synthetic would you recommend for those cold mornings? Last year we had -27 for about a week. Very short trips too- 5 miles.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection

--VI 203.
--HTHS 3.21 .
--SA 0.4 .
--TBN 7.8 .
--NOACK 9.9
--FP 220 .
--100 degrees C 9.711 .

Well, IV and V are not IV and V... 9.9 Noack is horribly high. IV and V in better oils like Ravenol RUP have Noack of 6%. "Group IV and V" mean seemingly nothing about the oil...

LOL. Never. In the country of "Bundesautobahn" people having already problems with wear and LL-FEs at ~45k miles. Also Ford-EU with his deep and deeper HTHS delusion have such problems.

I says, it WWOs. Wee-Wee-Oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer

--VI 203.
--HTHS 3.21 .
--SA 0.4 .
--TBN 7.8 .
--NOACK 9.9
--FP 220 .
--100 degrees C 9.711 .

Well, IV and V are not IV and V... 9.9 Noack is horribly high. IV and V in better oils like Ravenol RUP have Noack of 6%. "Group IV and V" mean seemingly nothing about the oil...

LOL. Never. In the country of "Bundesautobahn" people having already problems with wear and LL-FEs at ~45k miles. Also Ford-EU with his deep and deeper HTHS delusion have such problems.

You did not like my Deutsche ?
Or my Canadian ?

I was particularly impressed with the low Sulphated Ash in the TwinPower,
as far as that ostensibly leading to fewer deposits and less piston ring coking.

Do you believe that it is possible to create an oil with lower viscosity,
say less than 3.5 HTHS,
that can hold up on the Autobahn ?

I have used Ravenol EFE 0W16 in a PriusC hybrid for 10k mile OCIs and 60k total miles. No UOAs were conducted, but I liked this oil a lot.

Do you have concerns with Ravenol quality control, like the Russkies ?

I have also used Castrol Professional 0W20 508 oil in a 4 cylinder Tacoma with VVT,
and liked it better even than the Ravenol.
It has an HTHS of only 2.5 .

A lot of Bimmer folks seem to not be enamored with genuine BMW oils,
especially the FE spec'd oils.

So you failed to avoid a massive pothole in an urban area expressway and this should somehow signify that US roads are generally bad?
I've driven across this country more than a couple of times using both northern and southern routes and found the roads to be pretty good.
The roads in Europe are certainly not better maintained in every case even though the larger US states rival the land area of the larger EU nations.

Do you live in fantasy land.
Autobahn style road sin Europe are simply not comparable to to interstate system. To compare them means one does not want to see reality or never drove on those roads.
Local roads are more in line, but still are falling behind European roads simply bcs. they spend more money per mile.
I gave an example. That cannot happen on German autobahn, otherwise they would have all section closed in the matter of hours after it happened. Currently I25 running from Colorado Springs to Denver in some areas is so bad that maintaining above 50mph is simply impossible. They are leaving it until they finish expansion of 13 mile stretch, but that stretch does not have anything to do with section that deteriorated so bad. I crisscrossed this country numerous times from coast to coast, and North-South, I do road trips every year that amount to 6,000+ miles, and with few exception, interstate system looks more like Albanian attempt to build 4 lane hwy in 80's than anything in EU.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer

--VI 203.
--HTHS 3.21 .
--SA 0.4 .
--TBN 7.8 .
--NOACK 9.9
--FP 220 .
--100 degrees C 9.711 .

Yes, the engine will explode, promptly.

Last edited:
I was particularly impressed with the low Sulphated Ash in the TwinPower,
as far as that ostensibly leading to fewer deposits and less piston ring coking.
On other hand: You have see few engine inside, that was driven with Redline 0W-40? His SA-values are...? Those engines looks like on the production line, waiting in the factory, for assembly in the car.

Know you several Toyota engines than having problems with ring coking, with Toyotas 0W-20? I do it.

Do you believe that it is possible to create an oil with lower viscosity, say less than 3.5 HTHS,
that can hold up on the Autobahn ?
Is that only a question of oil? With plasma coated parts you can drive with peppermint oil on Autobahn
56.gif
But parts of ordinary engines (and transmissions) are not plasma coated.
I mean 0W-30 504/229.5(1) is enough to down wee-wee in the engines. More (down) is a false solution for the problem. Because all the butcher dont build-in parts for such oils.
Porsche, have in actually GT3 reduced engine own friction (mechanically), than the car is 0-300 (kmh) a litltlebit faster than factory fresh GT-R (!) And as GT3RS before.
M1 0W-40 FS in actually GT3. Not a 2.6 HTHS & Co. piddle.

Do you have concerns with Ravenol quality control, like the Russkies ?
And like the Germans... I mean the problem child was always VST. And this also for first since USVO. But I hear also, its past.

A lot of Bimmer folks seem to not be enamored with genuine BMW oils, especially the FE spec'd oils.
Intelligible. This folk have a keeness of technology and entrails of bimmer cars. They are not a "the eingine will explode" fullquote classclowns.

edit:
"0W" (subject) was and is for me ever ok. Two of the world best oils are 0W. Redline 0W-40 and Amsoil SS 0W-40. And M1 0W40, before NewLife, was absolutly unrivalled.
Also Rowe Synth RS 0W-40 have in gasoline engines without LSPI-risks - a self-made problem of bungler engine engineering - ALWAYS AND EVER excellent wear values. Always. Until now, I have never see a analysis with more than 15 ppm of iron. All the rest is always single-digit.

Last edited:
"In the age of lowered HTHS oils, and (only a one example) clearly announces from manufacturers: With your engine with specs for >= 3.5 HTHS oils, NEVER USE oils with 2.9 or 3.1 HTHS."

Is this Dagobahese ? Maybe restate the comment so the rest of us can understand?

Also your link just goes to another of your comments that has no correlation to this subject.

Originally Posted by PimTac
"In the age of lowered HTHS oils, and (only a one example) clearly announces from manufacturers: With your engine with specs for >= 3.5 HTHS oils, NEVER USE oils with 2.9 or 3.1 HTHS."

Is this Dagobahese ? Maybe restate the comment so the rest of us can understand?

Also your link just goes to another of your comments that has no correlation to this subject.

Dagobah is Star Wars location i.e. fantasy

I dont believe a single post by low flyer. Another banned member re incarnated sadly
37.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

I dont believe a single post by low flyer. Another banned member re incarnated sadly
37.gif

I'm getting tired of his ridiculous posts. He doesn't bring anything to the forum.

Originally Posted by buster
Originally Posted by 53' Stude

37.gif

I'm getting tired of his ridiculous posts. He doesn't bring anything to the forum.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back