0w-40 in a Ford Mustang Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I just stick with a xw-30 or should I use 0w-40? I can get the 0w-40 pretty cheap. Thanks

Everyone talks about the tight clearances of these engines? I have looked at the clerances they really aren't that different than the other modualr engines that were spec'd for 5w30 then back spec'd to 5w-20. I really feel that this is for CAFE reasons only. There isn't anything wrong with a 5w-20, but this car is making 500+ HP. So 0w-40 would be okay for use in this engine? Thanks

03 Cobra
2.8 Pulley
Intake
Exhaust
Tune

Last edited:
Use the 0w40 especially if you are going to have fun with it!
wink.gif

You can always drop to a 30wt for the cooler months if you intend to drive it year round.

cheers3.gif

0w-40 isn't THAT thick for a 40 weight. Plus, it has a tad bit higher ZDDP then your average GF-4 oil. I wouldn't have a problem using it. OVERKILL, one of our resident Mustang guys, would agree.

I wonder why Ford specs a 5w-50 for the new GT500. I know that it is a totally different engine but they spec light oil for everything else except the Ford GT and the disels.

Why run a 0w-40 in Georgia? Why not run a nice stout 5w-30 or 10w-30 or 40?

No need for a thin oil in that warm weather.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: buster
Has anyone tried running Castrol 10w60 in a Smart Car? lol

The top speed would drop from 50 to 40!

It wouldn't even start.

Um, Castrol Edge 10W-60 is a synthetic with a decent pour point of -42C. I doubt anyone would even notice a difference between it and say 5W-40 on a hot day...

Originally Posted By: Edge Sport 10W-60
Product Description

Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 is an SAE 10W-60, API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3/B4 full synthetic engine oil suitable for the majority of passenger vehicles on Australian roads today. The wide viscosity rating provides excellent cold start-up wear protection with extreme high temperature stability, offering superior engine protection under all operating conditions.Flow characteristics in low ambient temperatures ensure engine protection from the first moments of ignition, minimizing wear and damage....Flow characteristics in low ambient temperatures ensure engine protection from the first moments of ignition, minimizing wear and damage.

*sigh

After looking over the Aussie Castrol site, it really is a pity we can't get some of those Edges here, specifically the 0W-40...
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jtgrant
I wonder why Ford specs a 5w-50 for the new GT500. I know that it is a totally different engine but they spec light oil for everything else except the Ford GT and the disels.

they dont care about fuel economy on that application. the same oil is spec'd for the GT Supercar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back