0w-40 in a Ford Mustang Cobra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I would ever run a 50 in a Mod motor. Personal I'd run 20 in just an A-B daily, 30 in a daily/weekend racer, and 40 in an all out racer or car that sees very high temp weather.

I've never heard of 50 in a mod motor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
If I had a Stang GT,it`d be out with the 5w20 and in with the 20W50 :^) But that`s just me.

LOL.
cheers3.gif

There are people that run multigrade oils such as 20w-50's and say their UOAs are good, claim better running and no issues.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
There are people that run multigrade oils such as 20w-50's and say their UOAs are good, claim better running and no issues.

I have a 1996 Contour with the 2.0L Zetec spec'd for 5W-30. I used Castrol 5W-50 and the gas mileage really suffered and the "seat of the pants" power was worse. It didn't cause any real bad winter starting noises but 5W-30 was better sounding. I went back to a 5W-30, Schaeffer's blend, and my mpg is up a lot and my "seat of the pants" power is up.

I'll stick to the US oil recommended specs for my vehicles.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

I'll stick to the US oil recommended specs for my vehicles.
Whimsey

I agree with you. I almost always stick with what my oil filler cap says.

Last edited:
Friend of mine is running M1 0W-40 in his '03 Grand Marquis. 15,000 km OCIs and an FL-820S filter, no problem. Although it's not uncommon to see a Modular running 20W-50 here.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Jtgrant
I wonder why Ford specs a 5w-50 for the new GT500. I know that it is a totally different engine but they spec light oil for everything else except the Ford GT and the disels.

they dont care about fuel economy on that application. the same oil is spec'd for the GT Supercar.

You think they cared about fuel economy on the 03-04 Cobras?

I wonder why Ford specs a 5w-50 for the new GT500. I know that it is a totally different engine but they spec light oil for everything else except the Ford GT and the disels.

they dont care about fuel economy on that application. the same oil is spec'd for the GT Supercar.

They called for 5w30, whilst the GT called for 5w20...........AFAIK.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

The called for 5w30, whilst the GT called for 5w20...........AFAIK.

They 03-04 Cobra factory spec is 5w20....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate_V8
what about the thunderbird supercoupe motor? 3.8L roots blown.....0w-40?

5w40 TDT/D1

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Nate_V8
what about the thunderbird supercoupe motor? 3.8L roots blown.....0w-40?

5w40 TDT/D1

I would agree, that motor likes a thick oil.

Whats wrong with a 5w30 or 10w30? Ford never asked a customer to use 40 weight in a modular engine. I would use a quality 5w30 before using 5w40. I live in Georgia and have owned several modular 4.6 Mustangs and have never seen oil related failures on any 4.6 ford motors using 5w30. My 2000 GT was raced repeatedly on Redline 5w30 or Mobil 5w30 an never missed a beat.
My 04 Mach is currently running on Redline 5w30 and I would be very surprised if I ever saw an oil related failure.

Originally Posted By: greymach
Whats wrong with a 5w30 or 10w30? Ford never asked a customer to use 40 weight in a modular engine. I would use a quality 5w30 before using 5w40. I live in Georgia and have owned several modular 4.6 Mustangs and have never seen oil related failures on any 4.6 ford motors using 5w30. My 2000 GT was raced repeatedly on Redline 5w30 or Mobil 5w30 an never missed a beat.
My 04 Mach is currently running on Redline 5w30 and I would be very surprised if I ever saw an oil related failure.

Who said anything about failures?

I'm running 5w40 in my 5.4L and I have noticed an increase in how smooth the engine runs, how quiet the engine is, and no discernible impact on my gas mileage.

I think that the TDT is a superior oil. And since I run it in my 302's, I have a lot of it on hand. Now running it in the 5.4L, I see no reason not to continue doing so.

Originally Posted By: greymach

Agree!

All the 4.6-5.0 dudes @ the track, the street or the dyno's around here all run 10w30 or 5w30 weight oils
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back