0w-40 in 4cyl??

Status
Not open for further replies.
After I go through my case of AMS, I'm thinking of going to the 0w-40 for a Corolla. Is this too heavy a weight? Like I mentioned before, I drive all highway at 3,000 rpms, which isn't bad, but it might hold up really well. It will also be cheaper then Amsoil, especially when they raise prices in January! Thanks.

What does your owner's manual say to use? What grade oil are you using right now?

I'm going to switch to 0w40 during my next oil change, mainly because I have turbo and I run on relatively high rpms, so I want more top-end high-temp protection. You may be OK with Xw30 type oil, but Xw40 will probably not hurt either.

I use a 30 wt. oil. Right now Amsoil's 0w-30, which is phenomenal. But down the road when prices go up, 0w-40 might be my next oil. It does say it is for performance cars, which mine is definitely not, but for hot, high rpm engines, it might do the job well.

I had the 0w-40 in for a short time in my '01 Accord 4cyl. I really didn't notice anything at first, but on the drive to and from work I could definately tell I had lost some horsepower. When I gunned it just wasn't all there. I switched back to Mobil 1 SS 10w-30 after about a week and have had it in for almost 6k now. I'll probably go with the 5w-30 for the winter...
On the other hand, there are other folks on here that use the 15w-50 in their Civics with no problems. It was strictly a personal thing, the slight lack of pep got annoying after awhile I guess...

Maverick

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
After I go through my case of AMS, I'm thinking of going to the 0w-40 for a Corolla. Is this too heavy a weight? Like I mentioned before, I drive all highway at 3,000 rpms, which isn't bad, but it might hold up really well. It will also be cheaper then Amsoil, especially when they raise prices in January! Thanks.

buster,
Like Pete, I'm switching to the M1 0W-40 for my '99 turbo (2.0L, 4cyl, 185hp), but my manufacturer just released an M1-made OE 0W-30 for use in the '03 turbos. If you've been happy with Amsoil's 0W-30, why not try M1's 0W-30? (It's also slightly heavier at 212F than either the M1 5W-30 or 10W-30.) On my '90 non-turbo (2.0L, 4cyl, 125hp) I put in M1 15W-50 nearly 2mos ago & it's doing fine here in CO.

Maverick,
I don't know if you can answer this question for me or not. You mentioned noticing a loss in hp when using the 0W-40. Assuming that most of this loss is due to some type of "piston drag" created by the heavier oil, do you (or anyone else here) think that this would be offset somewhat by better ring seal improving compression? I guess what I'm looking for is a balance between improving protection & maintaining performance.

[ November 21, 2002, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: Greg Netzner ]

I really couldn't tell you, I'd pass that one on to the other folks on here...
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Netzner:
buster,
Like Pete, I'm switching to the M1 0W-40 for my '99 turbo (2.0L, 4cyl, 185hp), but my manufacturer just released an M1-made OE 0W-30 for use in the '03 turbos. If you've been happy with Amsoil's 0W-30, why not try M1's 0W-30? (It's also slightly heavier at 212F than either the M1 5W-30 or 10W-30.) On my '90 non-turbo (2.0L, 4cyl, 125hp) I put in M1 15W-50 nearly 2mos ago & it's doing fine here in CO.

Maverick,
I don't know if you can answer this question for me or not. You mentioned noticing a loss in hp when using the 0W-40. Assuming that most of this loss is due to some type of "piston drag" created by the heavier oil, do you (or anyone else here) think that this would be offset somewhat by better ring seal improving compression? I guess what I'm looking for is a balance between improving protection & maintaining performance.

Buster,

The price increase on the Ams 5w-30/10w-30 is going to be a whopping 10 cents a quart. My local Walmart just raised the price of Mobil 1 by 30 cents a quart, to $4.77/qt. I would not consider either of these price increases to be significant.

Buster;

I think your 14 year old Corolla will be just fine running on M1 0W40.

Maybe instead of starting a new topic thread on the same subject day after day, just ask the question at the bottom of a 0W40 M1 thread already in progress.

I think Castrol Edge 0W40 or M1 0W40 would work fine in your Corolla, but it's probably more oil than what you need. It's made for long drains, high RPMs, turbo's, etc.

What about a dexos-1 5W30 oil?
This is a good quality oil, with lower internal drag for a Corolla engine.

I'm assuming you haven't just slapped a supercharger in your Toyota.

0W40 choices are great only if your car calls for it.

I still remember the heydays of green GC 0W30. I dumped the 5W20 I was suppose to run in my '02 Civic Si, filled the crankcase with GC. Within couple trips I could notice the sluggishness of the engine, and eventually a drastic decrease in MPG.

I dumped my GC elixir and went back to PYB 5W20, and everything went back to normal.

*Holy [censored], just noticed this thread is ancient!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
Buster;

I think your 14 year old Corolla will be just fine running on M1 0W40.

Maybe instead of starting a new topic thread on the same subject day after day, just ask the question at the bottom of a 0W40 M1 thread already in progress.

used_Oil, why are you resurrecting these ancient threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back