0W-40 for 223k mile 95 Mercedes E320?

The name brand from the major oil companies 15W-40 HDEOs are some of the best oils on the marker and considering the cost they are a steal.

How did you retorque the bolts? They are torque to yield bolts.
They are but from what I've read (by a Merc Tec too) they can be reused two or three times, not that I would. If I was to pull the head off I'd replace them though, or you can replace them in order one by one.
In the correct order, loosen them up one at a time and then retorque to 55Nm. When they're all at 55Nm you give them another 90° in the same order, and then another final 90°.
I just wanted to see if it slowed the oil leak, and it did almost entirely.

Btw the head gasket 'failures' on these almost always only leak oil externally. It can be lived with for as long as you can stand the mess on the garage floor and almost never leads to overheating or milkshaking, and as I mentioned even this can be remedied with a retorque.
I feel that we are lucky living in warm weather climates because it means our engines undergo significantly less thermal expansion before reaching operating temperature, and it's normally this thermal expansion that aggravates head gaskets until they let go.
If it hasn't been addressed already, it may never need attention.

Back