0w-30 syn vs. 10w-30 dino for short term

Status
Not open for further replies.

tai

I have some Mobil 1 Tri-Syn 0w-30 in my car for the last 1K miles, but I'm wondering if I should dump it and use Pennzoil PureBase 10w-30 for the Summer months here in hot central Texas.

The 0w-30 Mobil 1 TS was bought on the cheap ($1.30/qt on clearance) and it was great in Winter, but I'm worried its HTHS is not going to protect well enough for Summer. My engine isn't a turbo, but does have a 7K redline I get to fairly often. And I know the Pennzoil 10w-30 PB has a good HTHS rating.

If I drain the M1 and put in Pennzoil 10w-30, it'll just be for a few months, then I'll go back to M1 0w-30 TS, of which I still have 8 qts.

What would you do?

P.S. I know, I know - it was probably a mistake to get the Mobil 1 0w-30 in Texas.

Continue to use the M1 0-30. Add Schaeffer's #132 Moly E.P. additive to the M1 0-30. It will increase the viscosity a bit and give you that added protection.

One vote that 0w-30 is not good enough in my situation and needs some help, and one vote that it's fine.

Any tie-breakers?

Stay with the Mobil 1 till 7-8k miles and you will be fine. The rest of us wish we'd found the same close out that you did on that oil ! Great find.

Personally I am a little afraid of the 0W for hard driving in the heat of the summer. I would be a little reluctant to keep in in much beyond 6K or so without an analysis. And personally I would not have it in there in the real dead of Summer. But thats just me. I really wouldn't argue my point very hard
smile.gif

I'll leave it in, then, for a few more k. Don't forget, it's Tri-syn, not SuperSyn.

0W-30 is almost the same as the 5w-30/10w-30, just use it and NEVER add any oil treatments, Schaeffer's or anybody, they do not belong in there. They throw off the chemical balance. I am surprised to still see people recommending it?!

Got them at Target quite a while back when then were rolling out the new SuperSyn formula. Quite certain they're all gone now. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back