0w-30 in new Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own an '09 Silverado with the 5.3 with AFM. The manual stipulates the use of 5w-30 in order for the AFM to function properly. I drained the FF at 1k and am now running M1 5w-30 with a M1 filter. I have 6k on the truck now.

Is it ok to run the German Castrol 0w-30 in this motor? I have read reports that it's a bit thicker than M1 5-30...so not sure if the AFM will function properly? I live in NH, and we get pretty cold winters up here.

I am still reading up on old posts about GC 0w-30...but would appreciate any help.
Thanks!

why not try M1 0w30 AFE??,, there's a rebate going on for it too,$10 off a 5 qt jug..plus it's not as thick as the GC and can be run year around.

Originally Posted By: daman
why not try M1 0w30 AFE??

Good question.....guess I should consider that as well.

I can't even imagine why an oil with a 1 cSt higher vis @100°C would have any effect on AFM. You will be fine.

Think for a moment about the vis of conventional 5W-30 at say 0°F or 20° or.....well you get the picture.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I can't even imagine why an oil with a 1 cSt higher vis @100°C would have any effect on AFM. You will be fine.

Think for a moment about the vis of conventional 5W-30 at say 0°F or 20° or.....well you get the picture.

thumbsup2.gif
30 grade oil has a 100C cSt range of 9.3 to 12.49. Surely to goodness, GM must take than into consideration when they spec 30 grade rather than a given cSt.

Originally Posted By: Roadtrash
I own an '09 Silverado with the 5.3 with AFM. The manual stipulates the use of 5w-30 in order for the AFM to function properly. I drained the FF at 1k and am now running M1 5w-30 with a M1 filter. I have 6k on the truck now.

Is it ok to run the German Castrol 0w-30 in this motor? I have read reports that it's a bit thicker than M1 5-30...so not sure if the AFM will function properly? I live in NH, and we get pretty cold winters up here.

I am still reading up on old posts about GC 0w-30...but would appreciate any help.
Thanks!

You certainly can run 0W-30 and be fine( with AFM and in general ). However, there is no real need IMO. I live in NH as well. Had a 2005 Silverado and a 2007 Silverado( new body style like yours )both with the 5.3L( 07 had AFM ). I ran 5W-30 year round with no issues.

I ran Royal Purple synthetic oil but the point is a 5W-30 synthetic will flow just fine at the temps we see here in NH even in the dead of winter. You can run the 0W but if you are running a synthetic a 5W will be fine year round.

If you want to run a 0W and you like Mobil then as the other guy said why not run the Mobil 1 0W-30? Available cheap at Wal-Mart. Lots of guys on the Chevy truck forums run Penzoil Platinum 5W-30 year round from this neck of the woods and even Canada with good results as another option for you.

Note - GM's Active Fuel Management(AFM) system seems to be a little more forgiving than Chrysler's Multiple Displacement System(MDS) that calls for 5W-20. I wouldn't run a 20W-50 but anything 0W-30 - 10W-30 seems to be fine. Some guys even talked about running 10W-40 and having the V4 indicator light come on in the DIC which indicates AFM is active.

Enjoy the truck.
thumbsup2.gif
This was mine...

IMG_0263.jpg

Thanks for the help. PP is another oil I have been considering. I am getting a bit of consumption with the M1...not alot, but some.

My main goal is to keep this truck for a long time. I kept my last GMC 4.3 for 10 years and over 100k. I'd like to keep this truck just as long if not more...and who knows how many miles I'll rack up by then?

NHHEMI....nice truck! So far...mine has been great!

truck6-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: Roadtrash
Thanks for the help. PP is another oil I have been considering. I am getting a bit of consumption with the M1...not alot, but some.

My main goal is to keep this truck for a long time. I kept my last GMC 4.3 for 10 years and over 100k. I'd like to keep this truck just as long if not more...and who knows how many miles I'll rack up by then?

NHHEMI....nice truck! So far...mine has been great!

truck6-1.jpg

Looks like we had the same basic truck right down to color and everything( I swapped the aluminum rims out for the chrome - came with the rims you have ). Mine was a 1LT what trim level is yours? It was a good truck that gave me no issues over the year I owned it. I am sure yours will do right by you.

Oil consumption issues running Mobil 1 5W-30 is not uncommon. Not sure why it is so but you hear about it quite often from many people with vastly different engines.

Last edited:
Mine is the LT1. Seems like for 2009, that you get less for the money. No fog lights, no DIC switches by headlight switch, and no steering wheel audio controls.

I have added the DIC kit for $75 and plan to get the fog light kit for $240...and maybe out some HID's in them. Might get a new wheel off ebay with audio controls on...hard to say.

Thanks for the help!

I have a 07 Silverado with the 6.0 and run Amsoil 0w-30 year round. My engine runs beautifully.

Originally Posted By: daman
why not try M1 0w30 AFE??,, there's a rebate going on for it too,$10 off a 5 qt jug..plus it's not as thick as the GC and can be run year around.

I ran Amsoil 0w30 in my Dodge Ram Hemi with MDS, and it worked fine. I know that people will swear you have to run 5w20 or you will have issues, but I think any High Quality synthetic oil that is not 20w50 or something should work fine.

Use German Castrol for longer drain intervals, as it is ACEA A3/B3 rated and also approved by MB (229.5) and BMW (LL01). Only downside to GC is that with its thicker formulation, it may potentially decrease MPG by a hair.

Also, GC is SL rated, which is great for your engine (additional ZDDP) but not so good for your catalytic converter if your truck is burning oil.

I am using GC in my '08 Dodge that is specced for 5w20...my engine seems to like GC better than the previous 20wt oils I used (M1 0w20 AFE & PP 5w20).

The Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 is a excellent oil, will work well year 'round, and is readilly available at a good price. Your truck is under warranty, so pushing the oil-changes way beyond the maximum reccomended milage probably isn't the greatest idea even if the chance of a oil-related claim is pretty remote.

...then again, any quality 5w30 dino like Pennz. Mobil, Castrol etc. changed regularly will get you to 200000 miles and beyond.

i am going to try M1 0-30 soon on my new G5...thanks for buying domestic, i work at freudenberg which is a supplier

That vehicle has a wonderful OLM, use it and the fine synth and it will run forever!

We run tons of 5.3 and 6.0 GM's and use Amsoil 0W-30 in all of them until around 200-300k miles. Then if consumption becomes an issue we move up a grade.

Not only is 0W-30 a fine choice, but GC is ideal IMO. Unless you have an engine problem, I don't think you will experience any oil consumption.

I just took this pic a few minutes ago. It's the dipstick from my 2004 Sierra 5.3L. It's GC with about 8000 miles on it. I add NO MAKEUP OIL. Not a drop..... never. All I did was pull the dipstick, placed it on a shop towel, and took the pic. See any consumption between changes?

My OLM is at 3% right now. Truck has over 81,000 on the clock.

junkpics004-1.jpg

I say experiment with a few oils to see what works best for you, but don't be afraid of 0W-30. I will happily run GC until the available supply in the US runs out.

Originally Posted By: opposite_locker

Also, GC is SL rated,

If GC is only API SL certified it will not meet his trucks warranty requirements. He needs an API certified oil but it has to have the Starburst which would mean API SM. May not matter to him but it is worth mentioning.

Originally Posted By: BR549
bretfraz,
What oil filter are you using??

Right now its an AC Delco PF47(?). I have one of those Fram ToughGuard 3506 filters to go in next.

Over the years I've used Purolator, Fram (the good ones), AC Delco, NAPA, and Wix filters.

I switched to GC 0W-30 in my 2000 GMC Sierra with a 4.8L V8 and have been very pleased with the results. My mileage went UP! signficantly. Before switching if I got 400 miles on a gas fill I was happy, I consistently get 450 miles on a fill. The truck has had mostly M1 5W-30 and Valvoline SynPower 5W-30 through it's life with a few dino and blends used and OCI has been 6000 or less through it's life. The vehicle just turned 265,000 miles with no oil consumption. So much for the Starburst, I think it is meaningless, I get better mileage with GC so I would strongly recommend using it. I am planning to go to 7,000 mile OCIs with GC since it is a longer life oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back