0W-30, 5W-30 EP or 0W-40 for 10K OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2005 Jeep Liberty (KJ) Limited with the 3.7L is about to hit 60K. I am planning on going for a 10,000 mile run on some grade of Mobil 1. It has had 5K OCI's on Mobil 1 xW-30 oils its whole life. I do about 11K miles a year, so it will see everything from low 90's to single digits in temp in the 10K miles I am running it. It doesn't consume any oil. Daily driver. Mild driving style. I get on it here an there, tow some, and off-road about twice a year, but I drive conservative for the most part. Daily commute is 75% highway and I drive 10 miles each way. It calls for 5W-30. Maintained very well. Well out of warranty. I care a little about gas mileage, but if I lose .5 MPG (if even possible), I'm not going to lose any sleep. I will be using a Mobil 1 EP filter. I plan on doing a UOA once the run is over.

So, the question is:

Which flavor of Mobil 1 would you feel most comfortable with in my situation to go 10K miles?

0W-30 AFE?
5W-30 EP?
0W-40?
Another suggestion?

What sort of OCI does your owners manual say to follow? What sort of oil.specification? I know the 0w-40 is certified by the ACEA for long drains but I do not know if it's suitable for your Jeep.

M1 oils are easy 10k oils in well maintained engines. M1 0w30 and 0w40 would be an awesome mix but the 5w30 would work well too. I mix M1 5w30 and 0w40 in the summer in my Altima 2.5s and I have had UOA's that are almost like Virgin analysis. Short trip driving and AC blasting produced this UOA last summer.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2388622

This was short but this was pure short trip city driving.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Unrelated question, but have you looked into maybe adding a larger capacity oil filter to assist with the longer OCI?
I don't think it is unrelated. No, I haven't looked into it. I was planning on using the Mobil 1 EP since it is designed for longer intervals. If I did chose to run a larger oil filter, can you reccomend a specific one?

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
What sort of OCI does your owners manual say to follow? What sort of oil.specification? I know the 0w-40 is certified by the ACEA for long drains but I do not know if it's suitable for your Jeep.
6K OCI for my driving habits for conventional. API certified 5W-30 that meets DaimlerChrysler Material Standard MS-6395.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
You can go 10,000 miles on pretty much any syn' oil.
I'd stick with any 0W/5W-30 syn'.
I definitely keep hearing this more and more and I almost might try regular Mobil 1 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
M1 oils are easy 10k oils in well maintained engines. M1 0w30 and 0w40 would be an awesome mix but the 5w30 would work well too. I mix M1 5w30 and 0w40 in the summer in my Altima 2.5s and I have had UOA's that are almost like Virgin analysis. Short trip driving and AC blasting produced this UOA last summer.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2388622

This was short but this was pure short trip city driving for what you drove.
I don't really think I want to mix, although, that mix did look good in the UAO. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
M1-EP 5w30 is engineered for the extended OCI's you desire.
It's only 3 bucks more than regular M1 @ my local Walmart,
which spread over the course of a year, is....well....3 bucks.
grin.gif

10K has been my OCI with M1 oils since 1978. I have done this in many differant engines with no problems at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back