0w-30/5w-30/10w-30. Who makes them/ What's best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a lot of testing with different oils in several of my vehicles over the years, but have never actually asked the question: What oil weight works best? Who makes the best of each weight, etc? In this situation my car requires 5w-30, but can I use that year round or should I consider using 0w-30 or 10w-30 during different seasons of the year(I live in north Mississippi)? I've tried to read about all of this here on BITOG, but keep getting scattered information. So What do you think and why? And to clarify, this would be a straight oil change, w/no additives, and a new filter of course. My vehicle and current setup is listed in my signature. I've come to prefer Valvoline Max-Life, but am always open minded to new knowledge.
-Thanks

There's no really simple answer because individual engines can vary, and oils have some leeway to vary among brands within the accepted ratings. You're going to continue to get "scattered" recommendations and opinions in this thread. So here we go...

In general, and this is just my opinion, if your vehicle is designed for 5w30, then use that or 0w30. 0w30 oils tend to be synthetics, have high viscosity index base oils, and generally be quite good all around. Like 0w20, it almost takes a top notch oil to even qualify. Some are thinner than your typical 5w30, one old formula used to be darn near a 40-weight ("German Castrol" Syntec). But the higher the viscosity index of the base oil the better the final product unless they REALLY skimp on the additive package.

10w30? Again my opinion only, but I don't even go there, its as outdated today as straight 30-weight or 10w40. Actually moreso- there are applications for straight 30 or 10w40, but in general NOT in an engine with a 5w30 recommendation. 10w30 in particular is a grade that allows the manufacturer to get away with a pretty low VI base oil and depend on VI improvers to get the rating. Not all do that- Rotella T5 comes in a good 10w30, but again I wouldn't throw that in any old engine that has a 5w30 recommendation. I'd more likely go with 0w30 if not 5w30.

With modern oils, 0w tends to be the best bet for Daily Driving.

0w-30 is liked because of its high viscosity index and lower CCS numbers, meaning it resists thickening when cold. There are two ways to achieve this higher viscosity index: Higher quality base stock or more VII polymer. An oil that uses a higher quality base stock vs more VII will be superior, given equal VI. Some top notch 0w-30 lubes are Amsoil Signature, Renewable Lubricants, Redline and Motul.

An easy 0w-30 to get is Mobil 1, most Walmarts carry it, at its cheap. As for 5w-30, top tier would include: Redline, Pennzoil Ultra, Amsoil Signature. Easier walmart oils to find include Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Pennzoil Platinum, and Mobil 1.

Personally, if your looking for an easy to find oil that fits your specs, try Mobil 1 0w-30

Thanks! Wasn't expecting to get any detailed answers right away. Ive actually used many different brands of (synthetic) oil in previous vehicles and the ones that I've liked the most are Valvoline and Mobil 1, I may try M1 next time around. Any particular filter that would go good with that oil and my driving style? We're talking a 5K-10K OCI...

Quick side question, what are your views on RP w/synerlec? I ended up with 10 qts of it a few weeks ago because an autozone in a small town needed it gone since they weren't selling any of it... I was able to get the 10 qts of (5w-30) it w/stp filter for 25$! May just use it on my Fiances car and try Mobil 1 for mine
wink.gif

What API rating is this RP?
The older oils with Synerlec were API SL and were very good.
Excellent score on a usually expensive oil.
If it is the older API SL stuff, I'd save it for my own car.
I'd love to try this oil, and if I could find a score like this, I would.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I agree. If its the API stuff you scored its as good as M1,and you can use it year round.
Personally I like whatever Walmart has on sale. Usually I use conventionals in the summer and synthetic 0w's in the winter due to our -40 temps.
Because you want to run longer oil change intervals then stick with synthetics. Most filters are fine at 10000 mile intervals but if you want to play it safe the fram ultra,Mobil extended life,wix top shelf filters,Amsoil's filters,napa gold are rebranded wix etc. Don't skimp out on the filter.
You can buy Quaker state ultimate durability on sale at wal mart cheap as well as pennzoil platinum.
There are many good oils and many outstanding oils out there but what do you really need. Do your driving conditions require an outstanding expensive true synthetic or are you like 99% of us and a less expensive hydrocracked syn will do just fine.
If I could get M1 0w-40 or German castrol 0w-30 cost effectively then that all I would use in every vehicle I own,however at 12 bucks a quart and no jugs dictates that I use pennzoil platinum or Quaker state ultimate durability at 22 bucks a jug.
And I stockpile good filters when they come on sale. I get napa golds for roughly 6 bucks each which is tough to beat when the comparable wix is 15.
Anyways use the RP you got in your vehicle. It's a top notch oil no matter which flavour it is,then try a few different brands out. Then decide based on how your car ran with each different product.

Clevy,

It looks like most, if not all, the vehicles in your signature probably call for 30 grade. What is it about M1 0W40 that would make you want to use it in everything?

I will post API info later when I get home, sorry!

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I agree. If its the API stuff you scored its as good as M1,and you can use it year round.
Personally I like whatever Walmart has on sale. Usually I use conventionals in the summer and synthetic 0w's in the winter due to our -40 temps.
Because you want to run longer oil change intervals then stick with synthetics. Most filters are fine at 10000 mile intervals but if you want to play it safe the fram ultra,Mobil extended life,wix top shelf filters,Amsoil's filters,napa gold are rebranded wix etc. Don't skimp out on the filter.
You can buy Quaker state ultimate durability on sale at wal mart cheap as well as pennzoil platinum.
There are many good oils and many outstanding oils out there but what do you really need. Do your driving conditions require an outstanding expensive true synthetic or are you like 99% of us and a less expensive hydrocracked syn will do just fine.
If I could get M1 0w-40 or German castrol 0w-30 cost effectively then that all I would use in every vehicle I own,however at 12 bucks a quart and no jugs dictates that I use pennzoil platinum or Quaker state ultimate durability at 22 bucks a jug.
And I stockpile good filters when they come on sale. I get napa golds for roughly 6 bucks each which is tough to beat when the comparable wix is 15.
Anyways use the RP you got in your vehicle. It's a top notch oil no matter which flavour it is,then try a few different brands out. Then decide based on how your car ran with each different product.

Great news, it's API Service SL 5W-30 with synerlec

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Clevy,

It looks like most, if not all, the vehicles in your signature probably call for 30 grade. What is it about M1 0W40 that would make you want to use it in everything?

Probably because it is regarded here as one of the very best oils Mobil makes. It is a great product that gets good uoa reports too.

So I guess I will go with Royal Purple this time with maybe a good filter, like the ones listed above, and then go to 0w-30 M1 next time...Thanks for all the advice and help guys! I really love this website!
-Ga129

RP is good, there is nothing at all wrong with it that I could think of. Although there are a lot of guys here that hate it for one reason or another.

Folks don't hate Royal Purple. However, when their standards are lowered (with a change of ownership) and a lower quality product is sold on a previously solid reputation at the same price, people naturally wise-up and look for a better value: i.e. Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Folks don't hate Royal Purple. However, when their standards are lowered (with a change of ownership) and a lower quality product is sold on a previously solid reputation at the same price, people naturally wise-up and look for a better value: i.e. Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum.

The hate goes back many years here. Long before the new owners.

I dont hate Royal Purple. But I dislike all the hype it gets when its not any better than any other name-brand synthetic oil. The price sucks as well.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
I dont hate Royal Purple. But I dislike all the hype it gets when its not any better than any other name-brand synthetic oil. The price sucks as well.

A lot of people feel that way about Amsoil, and a few others. If I can get any synthetic oil cheap enough I'll use it.

Whether you like Amsoil or not........at least they back up their claims with proven data over a 40 year period with thousands of satisfied customers.

..........and if their advertising was false, you can be assured that a dozen oil companies (1,000 times larger than Amsoil) would have taken them to court and put them out of business 1,000 times over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back