0W-20 oil for turbo Diesel engines in hot climate

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSH

Hi all,

The issue is more specifically re. Renault 1.5 dci engines. I know well that for ages (or at least since the introduction of DPF) the oil used in these 1.5 dci engines of the Renault-Dacia variety is 5W-30 C4 RN0720. Today, during a discussion in a local forum, I was surprised to learn that 2019 and onward models, conforming to Euro 6d and equipped with SCR, require a new oil - 0W-20 C5 bearing a new approval - RN17 FE. As I live in a hot climate most of the year, I am quite worried about the suitability of 0W-20 oil for our region.

I went on to Google to do some homework - could find very little information in English. I managed to find This - it's in Finnish, but Chrome does a fair job translating it. From this I understand that RN0720 is to be superseded by this new RN17 FE approval.

So it seems there is only one viscosity so far that is offered with this approval, namely 0W-20, and furthermore, there is only a single product available, namely said ELF. I got the spec sheet from here, the figures quoted on it are pasted here below for your convenience:

Density at 15°C ASTM D1298 kg / m³ 841
Viscosity at 40°C ASTM D445 mm2/s 41,3
Viscosity at 100°C ASTM D445 mm2/s 8,1
Viscosity index ASTM D2270 - 173
Flash point ASTM D92 °C 230
T.B.N. ASTM D2896 mgKOH/g 7,6

I would be glad if someone in the know can shed some light on this issue. Also, what is your opinion re. said ELF considering its specs? As mentioned, I am concerned re. usage of 0W-20 in hot climate, particularly with turbo Diesel engines, and wonder if it would be wise to disregard the recommendation altogether and continue using 5W-30 C4 RN0720 instead (hypothetically - as I am not going to replace my own 2012 Renault 1.5 dci anytime soon).

Last edited:
Your car is a 2012. NOT a 2019 + . Use what your manual specifies. Let the 2019 owners find out if 0w20 is adequate. Which it likely is. Remember, car makers don't like warranty claims ...

And dont forget to change your main rod bearings @100.000kms......its a feature with those 1.5dCis.....use Dayco bearings....its like additional 20euros for spareparts...and some 80euros for a heands
wink.gif

Otherwise you will be seeking for new 1.5 dCi engine

Originally Posted by geeman789
Your car is a 2012. NOT a 2019 + . Use what your manual specifies. Let the 2019 owners find out if 0w20 is adequate. Which it likely is. Remember, car makers don't like warranty claims ...

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't clear enough. I am asking strictly re. 2019 + models. The question is hypothetical as I do not own such a model currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back