0w-20 Different Directional Tangent

Good afternoon everyone...it has been years since I have been on the board with an actual posting to discuss.

So, based on all of the beaten-down dead horse discussions of thick vs. thin, may I present my current experiment if you will. I am currently trying a 0w-20 year-round oil viscosity regimen, but with one exception: I am using different formulations of this...such as European vs. standard API style vs. Diesel formulations.

I am running this in a 2015 Kia Soul which yes, has the 2.0L Direct Injection Gasoline engine. Yes, I do frequent changes due to the fuel dilution issues, always keep her topped up, but not overfilled, with standard medium grade oil filters like Fram Force right now, but have ran Mann, Baldwin, Pure Ones, and a coiple of higher end ones such as Amsoil and Royal Purple. I have settled on the medium ones due to the fact most of my changes are done between 2500-4500 miles based on the type of miles that I have put on the vehicle.

For the sake of not starting battles, I welcome all advice and opinions, no matter how simple or complex the responses are. Discuss away!!

What's your experiment? Are you planning on running tests on each oil you run? Are you just going to try each type without quantifying them in any way?

Are you looking for consumption of each?

How are you measuring the directional tangent?

I’m a product of the math deprived generation of the 60’s so when I did a search on directional tangents and saw the equations I got a splitting headache right off.

This might help.

For the sake of not starting battles, I welcome all advice and opinions, no matter how simple or complex the responses are. Discuss away!!
What's the HTHS of this Euro speced oil? That's what counts.

You are doing short OCIs to mitigate fuel dilution and viscosity loss. And if you are driving around on the streets like a normal human, then xW-20 is going to work. Going xW-30 will also work fine, and as a side benefit give a bit more HTHS headroom, unless this Eruo 0W-20 has a HTHS close to an API xW-30.

What's your experiment? Are you planning on running tests on each oil you run? Are you just going to try each type without quantifying them in any way?

Are you looking for consumption of each?
Oversimplifying...yes to the consumption part. Unfortunately, I hadn't planned on testing the oils when draining. Lack of funds and given my OCI's a waste IMHO.

What's the HTHS of this Euro speced oil? That's what counts.

You are doing short OCIs to mitigate fuel dilution and viscosity loss, and driving around on the streets like a normal human, then xW-20 is going to work. Going xW-30 will also work fine, and as a side benefit give a bit more HTHS headroom, unless this Eruo 0W-20 has a HTHS close to an API xW-30.
They are all Amsoil's 0w-20 oils. Right now I have the VW 508/509 spec in the crankcase. So far, same amount of consumption as the 30 weights I've used. And for those that like to know about engine "sounds" with different oils, no real difference...sounds like a muffled diesel go kart!

I lost the front pipe to a crack in it last year, that noise is what I envisioned a diesel go kart to sound like, hence my descriptor

Oversimplifying...yes to the consumption part. Unfortunately, I hadn't planned on testing the oils when draining. Lack of funds and given my OCI's a waste IMHO.
Yeah, me too. I use others advice and experiences on here. I used to run many different oils in my XJ for chits and giggles, I was young and bored. Finally settled on Rotella 5W-40.

We’ve seen them all I think.
I think that you don't quite get where I'm coming from...no thick vs thin. I am strictly using 0w20 oils...period, and hoping to find one with the best qualities for my application. I posed the question to basically see what other opinions/comments/questions/concerns/or just why responses to this would be.

I was kind of hoping some of the resident oil people would chime in their 2 cents as well.

I think that you don't quite get where I'm coming from...no thick vs thin. I am strictly using 0w20 oils...period, and hoping to find one with the best qualities for my application. I posed the question to basically see what other opinions/comments/questions/concerns/or just why responses to this would be.
The one with the highest HTHS, for all the reasons posted daily on BITOG. 😄

I was kind of hoping some of the resident oil people would chime in their 2 cents as well.
That’s pretty equivalent. I mean you have a little twist going there with your arbitrary restriction but otherwise it’s the same.

That’s pretty equivalent. I mean you have a little twist going there with your arbitrary restriction but otherwise it’s the same.
Wasn't meant to be, trust me. I've been floating on this board long enough to definitely not start another beating of dead horse thread!

Back