0w-20 and 0w-16 engine compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm fairly certain that an engine designed for 0w-16 could run 0w-20 without problems but I don't think the reverse is true. Does anyone have some data that can provide clarification?

I wouldn't try 0W-16 in an engine specified for 0W-20 unless the manufacturer had documentation saying back specifying was OK. I'd use one grade higher than any owner's manual says with no worries.

I happen to have put many thousands of miles on both grades, including UOA's.

Generally speaking, the 0W16 shows a few more ppm of iron and also oxidative thickening sooner.

YMMV.

Maybe north of the artic circle it would be fine to use
grin2.gif

Correct
thumbsup2.gif

You can probably get something from the Japanese car companies or perhaps Idemitsu. They have been using 0w16 in Japan since 2000 or so

Doesn't 0Wx20 turn into x16 after a while? What grade is x20 allowed to skip to?

Originally Posted by Cujet
The differences are so minor, even mild temperature changes affect viscosity more than the difference in specs.

That would be my take as well.

These engines wouldn't feel the difference between a 0w16 and a 5w30, aside from an extreme cold start.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by Cujet
The differences are so minor, even mild temperature changes affect viscosity more than the difference in specs.

That would be my take as well.

These engines wouldn't feel the difference between a 0w16 and a 5w30, aside from an extreme cold start.

I think they do. Reason being is I notice how much more sluggish it's running with 5w30 and how quieter the engine is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back