'09 YARIS : J.D. POWERS : # 1 highest ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would actually consider buying a fit.

No way would you even get me to ride in a Yaris. I can't believe what people pay for those things - for the same price you can literally get twice the car.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
I had a 2008 Toyota Yaris hatchback for a year. I put 30,000 miles on the car and the performance and reliability of the car was flawless...not one problem and fuel economy was great (38-42 mpg with an automatic). My problem with the car was comfort...or lack therof. I typically spend 5+ hours in the car when "on the road" (sometimes longer) and have occasion to make 8+ hour trips. I couldn't spend more than about 15 minutes without the cruise (which I had added...Toyota made it available in the hatchback in 2009) or I would get terrible hip and back pain...the seats are essentially upholstered hammocks. I dreaded long trips in the car for that reason. I'm now driving a 2008 Chevrolet Impala with the 3.5L Flexfuel V6. I routinely get 32-34 mpg on highway runs (fill up yesterday yielded 31.2 for the tank with some "city" driving) which is phonomenal for a car this size. The biggest gain is in the comfort area. As hoped, I can ride for hours in this car with NO hip or back problem...makes the work day a lot easier. I don't figure the Impala will be nearly as reliable as the Toyota but as I'll only have the car for 3 or 4 years, I'm not going to worry about it. The Yaris (and other small cars) are great as a commuter vehicle and for an occasional trip but for someone who's in the car as much as I am, the compromises of comfort and safety are too high.

I have an '04 Impala with zero problems other than routine maint. also. Gets 32-34 hwy. Yaris way too small.

Quote:

I can't believe what people pay for those things - for the same price you can literally get twice the car.

$12K, where is the "twice the vehicle" for that?

I rented Yaris for 2 days. Noisy, gutless, and very spartan. Reminds me small Fiat cars I rent in Europe. Corolla feels like a luxury car compared to Yaris.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I rented Yaris for 2 days. Noisy, gutless, and very spartan. Reminds me small Fiat cars I rent in Europe. Corolla feels like a luxury car compared to Yaris.

Gotta agree. I think Honda did a much better job on the Fit than Toyota with the Yaris which seems very stripped down, plastic and basic, you know it reaks of cost-cuts. The throttle control is also very 'twitchy' presumably to give the car the illusion of torque. Lots of DBW cars seems to be programmed this way now. *thumbs down

An overly-sensitive throttle just off idle is an old trick that many MFRs use to impress the uninformed on test-drives at the dealership.

Makes the car "feel peppy" until you own it...then you find that it's difficult to accelerate smoothly at low speeds.

My niece might get a Yaris for the price and mpg, she has a car to use for the clunker trade, needs 28 combined to get the extra $1000. Anyway, what is base price of a Fit?

You can get a Yaris cheaper but for comparably loaded cars, the gap is small to non-existant considering ther are a few things the Yaris doesn't offer. My model, the a/t Sport retailed for around $17,500. That was the lowest I could go b/c I didn't want a stick and needed cruise. The nav/stability control equipped models are higher and the base models are down in the $15k range.

we got the automatic '09 4 door liftback with convenience package , power locks , windows , side mirrors , and remote keyless entry for less than $13,800 before trade . The sticker was $15,975 including destination charge . Not so bad . This was in late MARCH when a $1,000 TOYO rebate was available . It also comes with A.B.S. , Side / Curtain Airbags for front and rear , tilt steering , split folding / sliding / reclining rear seat , floor / cargo mats , cargo cover , and A.C.. The '09 base FIT we wanted would of cost us over $15,000 with addition of floor cargo mats , cargo cover , and mudguards bought and installed from dealer for a cost of over $700 . The base FIT only came with A.B.S. and side/curtain air bags as well . You do get a bit more in room , versatility of rear seats in a FIT , but we were looking for lower car payment . Their ( HONDA ) trade in value was much lower as well . It's all about preference and economics .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back