'09 Sentra 15k on Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said you didn't top off. But where was the oil level? Still at top mark, or if low, do you have a guestimate on what fraction of a quart low ?

I am pleased to see good wear numbers with the feared Fram Extra Guard oil filter being used. I have two Fram Extra Guard clones (O'Reilly's Microgruard) that I was hesitating to use because of everyone saying that these are not as good as other oil filters. However, now I feel more confident on using XtraGuards. I am using conventional though, so my OCI is much shorter.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
You said you didn't top off. But where was the oil level? Still at top mark, or if low, do you have a guestimate on what fraction of a quart low ?

Believe it or not, the oil level was full. I check every 5k, this car just refuses to consume oil. 4.2 quarts every oil change.

My Prius does use a small amount, .5 every 12k or so.

Last edited:
That's quite a bit of oxidative thickening. 10.3 to 11.87. I'd back it off a bit and use a lab that gives oxidation and TAN as well running this long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
That's quite a bit of oxidative thickening. 10.3 to 11.87. I'd back it off a bit and use a lab that gives oxidation and TAN as well running this long.

Eh, not really. If it was an entire grade up I'd say it's a lot. To me it looks like the very early stages of oxidation and 15k is the cut off limit for this lube/application/interval.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro

Eh, not really. If it was an entire grade up I'd say it's a lot. To me it looks like the very early stages of oxidation and 15k is the cut off limit for this lube/application/interval.

I disagree.. To know if oxidation is an issue, it should be tested, just like TAN should be with TBN this low.

Oil is cheap. There's no reason to venture this far out blindly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back