2009-Pontiac-G8-GXP.jpg

2009-Pontiac-G8-GXP-Front-Angle-1280x960.jpg

09g8gxp_int.jpg

Really nice looking... Too bad it's a GM
LOL.gif
(J/K)

I hear you StevieC
LOL.gif
. But really, it IS a nice car. I have 2 friends that have them. One is V6 and the other a V8. Both love the car but it is typical GM decisions----that is JUST WHEN they get something right, they stop making it. Examples: Just as Oldsmobile was getting good and the avg buyer age was approaching 37 they drop Olds. Just when the finally got the Fiero ironed out in 1988 - dropped the car, Pontiac now has some nice models, drop Pontiac, Just when Saturn starts to turn a profit and get loyal customers...start rebadging other GM cars as Saturns and then drop the brand.

Drives me nuts!

But yeah, I love the looks of the G8. My wife wanted me to buy one instead of the new CTS that I bought. Glad I did now, because the resale of that G8 is ready to dive.

If GM would throw one of their 50+ mpg european diesel engines into these cars, they'd sell 10 million of them.

Seriously. Don't know why GM gets ragged on so much, their reliability and technology is just as good as anyone else, just people hang onto delusions and prejudices from the past, re-inforced by some really boneheaded customer support/customer relations efforts.

Man the GM engineers are loosing not only money but now imagination as well. Anyone else see a similarity between this and the Acura TL? The back half and wheels that is. The interior is still GM [censored]. What a surprise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Man the GM engineers are loosing not only money but now imagination as well. Anyone else see a similarity between this and the Acura TL? The back half and wheels that is. The interior is still GM [censored]. What a surprise.

The interior is MUCH better in person and that model has been around longer than the Acura TL but only in Australia where it is a Holden (a division of GM) it was just rebadged and made available here...so the TL is a copy..

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Lol. No comparison. I'll take the rwd LS3 one please.

Originally Posted By: pitzel
If GM would throw one of their 50+ mpg european diesel engines into these cars, they'd sell 10 million of them.

Seriously. Don't know why GM gets ragged on so much, their reliability and technology is just as good as anyone else, just people hang onto delusions and prejudices from the past, re-inforced by some really boneheaded customer support/customer relations efforts.

Their Reliability and Technology is much better today... I might give you that, but as good as everyone elses? I don't think so.

If it was would they be in the sinking ship they are in? I don't think so.

Also I can give you a list of GM vehicles with common problems and stupid design flaws that made them the unreliable products to which they earned their reputation for.

I'm happy you have confidence in the brand and haven't experienced these problems, but I have seen otherwise.

i think i would take the g8 over the camaro.camaro is nice eye candy but it sure is hard to see out of. sat in a g8 liked it plus can see whats around you.

Holden makes great cars - they are vastly better than the domestic offerings from GM.

I would have been happy to drive a Holden / Pontiac as long as they were imported.

I bought one last rear wheel drive Pontiac for fun before they are all gone, but I don't see anymore GM cars in my future.

Maybe Ford will bring the Falcon over here.

Great, so we get one year of the GXP and *poof*....gone.

Just got done building one at Pontiac.com. I have to say, a $695 upcharge to go from auto to manual is a rip-off.

Like mentioned above...just when we start to see impressive products from a long-beleaguered division, it gets the axe. RIP G8 & Sky...I barely knew ye.

Originally Posted By: pitzel

Not really, My $55,000 2006 Yukon XL Denali was back at the dealer 17 times in the first 12 months for all kinds of problems:

Piston slapper engine
bad rear suspension bushings
defective CD player (they still never sent me my 6 CD's)
defective headlights
roof rack almost fell off. (I finally repaired it myself)
leaking GPS antenna (finall repaired it myself)
leaking winshield
entire dash panel fell off while on the freeway at 75mph on my way to Florida
defective power seat motor
defective power steering pump
defective water pump
defective rear tailight housing
Heavy metal debris in front differential at 10k oil service (was told that is normal)

After 12 months:

Piston slapper engine "unrepairable" GM refused to replace the engine even though it knocks for 8-10 minutes after cold start up and 3 minutes is the threshold. Instead they give me a letter extending the factory warranty to 100k miles.

Front differential fails at 44,000 miles. Cause: bad carrier bearings shedding metal into the entire gearset. cost $3,500.00. GM says "Sorry, you are out of warranty...you should have bought the $2,400 extended warranty if you suspected a problem.

THIS IS NOT MY IMAGINATION.......
mad.gif

Neither is the Toyota 4 Runner in my driveway....
wink.gif

At work we have a logoed vehicle and it's a 2000 Denali with a 6.0 Litre V8 and the thing has been the biggest heap to keep running.

The guy at the office that is in charge of it's maintenance is always griping about it having problems.

It has a fetish we think, and it keeps turning on the CEL.

It drives ok, but the engine is noisy and it gets very poor fuel economy. (6.0 Litre doesn't help I'm sure)

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
Great, so we get one year of the GXP and *poof*....gone.

Far less than one year, < 1900 units for the GXP. Australian G8 production stopped well before GM announced the brand was toast.

My local dealer only got two GXP's.

I nearly bought the last one about three weeks ago, I had them in my reasonable zone of price, but I wound up buying the Solstice instead. About a week later I decided I wanted the GXP as well, and it was already sold.

So, you snooze you lose, if you want a Holden, buy one now. At the current sales rate, they may all be gone by the end of July.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

If it was would they be in the sinking ship they are in? I don't think so.

Also I can give you a list of GM vehicles with common problems and stupid design flaws that made them the unreliable products to which they earned their reputation for.

I'm happy you have confidence in the brand and haven't experienced these problems, but I have seen otherwise.

So, unless I'm missing something, why even start this thread? You should have titled it "Here's a somewhat-better-than-average-looking piece of [censored] from GM".

Because I like the look of the car... Doesn't mean I like their engineering or that I would buy it, but I thought it was nice looking and decided to post it here.
smirk2.gif

The G8 rips just about anything in its catagory.

If you haven't seen and driven one, do not comment.

I would buy one now if I was ready to get rid of my 10yo so called [censored] poor quality GM car that I love.

Please do not buy a G8. I want them to be around in a year or two at a low price when I'm ready to buy.

I too like the G8 GT and the G8 GXP is the ultimate. The G8 GT is a four door Camaro and the GXP is a four door Corvette at a bargain price. Same engine same trans basically the same platform. Exactly the same engine and trans. I think they rate the HP ratings lower for 1./ the sake of the owner's of Vettes and Camaros and 2./ to keep the G8 insurance costs lower.

I sat in one at my local Buick/Pontiac/GMC dealer while the salesman was busy thinking of ways to make me pay more money for a Yukon. Dang fine car. Awesome seats. High quality fit and finish. If I weren't a frickin hypercommuter, I'd love to have one as a daily driver. It's a shame a car like this has to be sidelined b/c of GMs otherwise lackluster reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back