09 Pilot VTec and hot weather oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAK

Hi all,

I will be doing some mountain pass traveling in the Pacific Northwest in a couple of weeks and have a choice of the following oils. The Pilot has 7K on it and I have already changed the FF to Castrol GTX 5/20 at the 4K mark. I know that the Castrol can go for another couple of thousand miles, but I want to baby this car.
The choices are:

QS full synthetic 5/20
Mobil 1 5/20
PP 5/20
Synpower 5/20

Which will best handle the mountain climbs as well as the high desert temps of Bend, OR ?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Good question. I would like to know the best 5-20 for the eternal TX heat!

The best 5W-20 for the Texas heat would be a thicker oil.

All of them.

Which color bottle to you like?
grin2.gif

I would use any of them...

I'm running M1, Napa(Valvoline) right now....

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Any synthetic oil would be good for your engine with 7-10k miles OCI, I would buy the cheapest one on sale.

+1

Originally Posted By: CAK
. . . Which [oil] will best handle the mountain climbs as well as the high desert temps of Bend, OR ?

If you are worried about extremes of heat and oil shearing, why not use the motor oil that Honda actually recommends for those conditions? You know, the first motor oil certified to meet Honda's HTO-06 ("high temperature operation") benchmark?

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Good question. I would like to know the best 5-20 for the eternal TX heat!

The best 5W-20 for the Texas heat would be a thicker oil.

I totally agree! However, there is that little matter of the Honda warrenty.

I have already changed the FF to Castrol GTX 5/20 at the 4K mark.I know that the Castrol can go for another couple of thousand miles, but I want to baby this car.

well if you want to baby this car going 6,000+ on dino Castrol isn't the way to do it IMO,use the PP or M1 and be done,leave your worries at home with the high temps.

Nothing wrong with a quality 10w-30 either for extreme heat. I've used it exclusively in the TL.

Gurney,

What oil are you referring to?

Also, I have all of these oils sitting in my garage right now and was just looking for the "right" one for higher summer temps.

Thanks for all the replies!

Gurney, what oil are you referring to? . . .

The first motor oil certified to meet Honda's HTO-06 ("high temperature operation") benchmark was Mobil 1's 5W-30. Castrol's "Edge" (not Syntec) is another. (Note: Neither Mobil 1's 5W-20 weight oil nor its 5W-30 "Extended Performance" oil meet the HTO-06 standard.)

(And to those typing furiously about the potential -- and illusory -- warranty issues, IMHO it is unimaginable that Honda would deny an engine warranty claim arising out of the use of M1 5W-30 when they are partnered with M1 in the HTO-06 certification.)

Originally Posted By: Gurney
(Note: Neither Mobil 1's 5W-20 weight oil nor its 5W-30 "Extended Performance" oil meet the HTO-06 standard.)

I think thats foolish too
sad0020.gif
,them oil's perform great in HTO.

Hi all,

I will be doing some mountain pass traveling in the Pacific Northwest in a couple of weeks and have a choice of the following oils. The Pilot has 7K on it and I have already changed the FF to Castrol GTX 5/20 at the 4K mark. I know that the Castrol can go for another couple of thousand miles, but I want to baby this car.
The choices are:

QS full synthetic 5/20
Mobil 1 5/20
PP 5/20
Synpower 5/20

Which will best handle the mountain climbs as well as the high desert temps of Bend, OR ?

The one on the above list that is on sale. Right now M1 is at Autozone...

If you don't mind paying a little more, Amsoil 0W-20 also looks like a hearty choice. If I had a new Honda, I'd consider it and go with the OLM with confidence...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gurney
Gurney, what oil are you referring to? . . .

The first motor oil certified to meet Honda's HTO-06 ("high temperature operation") benchmark was Mobil 1's 5W-30. Castrol's "Edge" (not Syntec) is another. (Note: Neither Mobil 1's 5W-20 weight oil nor its 5W-30 "Extended Performance" oil meet the HTO-06 standard.)

(And to those typing furiously about the potential -- and illusory -- warranty issues, IMHO it is unimaginable that Honda would deny an engine warranty claim arising out of the use of M1 5W-30 when they are partnered with M1 in the HTO-06 certification.)

He's not driving a turbo, and the Honda 3.5L is pretty easy on oil actually...

So...it seems that all of the oils are comparable. Do any of them have a slight edge for higher temps? Remember, I have all of the described oils in my garage right now and am looking to choose the "best" hot weather performer for my application.

So...it seems that all of the oils are comparable. Do any of them have a slight edge for higher temps? Remember, I have all of the described oils in my garage right now and am looking to choose the "best" hot weather performer for my application.

No, CAK, the oils you listed are comparable. The oil I listed is the only one certified by M1 to meet HTO-06. Thus, sir, it is what you asked for: namely, the best hot weather performer for your application. Think of it as additional protection, if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back