09 Jetta 2.0T Burning Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be good to do a bit of troubleshooting to know the pathway for oil loss.

As I'm sure you already know, the PCV system on that engine is a known contributor to oil consumption. But I think you've ruled that out.

If it's pistons/rings, then either coked up oil rings/piston drain holes or plain old engine wear is to blame. Either way, that is a mechanical problem and solvents or oil type is unlikely to fix it. If it's related to the turbo or PCV, that may be more easily addressed. However, failed turbochargers often result in great billowing clouds of embarrassing blue exhaust smoke.

http://karmakanix.com/knowledgebase...2-0t-oil-consumption-pcv-breather-valve/

Even so, it may not be a bad idea to switch oil types and viscosities. Maybe try the above suggestion of M1 high mileage 10W-40 at your next oil change. It's really a no cost bit of troubleshooting.

PC valve. I'd run Redline Fuel System cleaner for a few tanks and run it hard. Also, we always had a bit higher consumption when we used M1...we now use either Castrol 0w40 or Rotella T6. All are fine oils but the M1 was consumed for some reason.

I just cannot forget the 1978/79 VWs with the incorrect material used in valve seals. When one or more failed, you could lose your fill in just a few hundred miles. I had a 79 Scirocco which I caught before any damage. They quickly learned how to do one cylinder at a time using air to hold the valves closed so the head didn't need to be removed.

Is this something worth investigating?

Originally Posted by davizzel
Will try M1 10w-40 High Mileage. Would a compression test give light to a possible culprit?

How much are you burning over 5k miles?

Enough for the oil warning light to come on. MPG is still the same as before, no noticeable performance issues, no smoke from tail pipe. Car runs excellent.
cry.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by davizzel
enough for the oil warning light to come on.

Which oil light? How much oil drained out when you did the oil change?

Because it sounds to me like you're only burning a quart in 5k miles... Which is nothing for a 2.0T.

Oil level light. About 2 quarts came out when I did my last oil change, Checked the dipstick 2 months after my last oil change and oil level was already at Min. Confusing the heck out of me.

Last edited:
The turbocharger is likely leaking past the seals and drinking the oil. If you've ever run it low on oil then that increases the odds of this being the condition exponentially.

My brother has an 06 Audi A3 with a similar version of your engine. It has two oil lights. One indicates yellow meaning to add 1 qt of oil. The other light is a red light (same pictogram) indicating oil pressure low. If it was the yellow oil level light, then burning 1qt in 5k miles is just fine. His engine burns 1qt about every 3k miles, and has 170k miles on 0w40. The engine only holds 4.5 qts, easily 0.5qt remains in the oil filter canister when doing an oil change.

Originally Posted by George Bynum
I just cannot forget the 1978/79 VWs with the incorrect material used in valve seals. When one or more failed, you could lose your fill in just a few hundred miles. I had a 79 Scirocco which I caught before any damage. They quickly learned how to do one cylinder at a time using air to hold the valves closed so the head didn't need to be removed.

Is this something worth investigating?

This brings back memories. I purchased a new 1977 Rabbit. From day one it was burning a quart of oil every ~200 miles. The dealer service manger, Fritz, said this is normal, so did VW.
crazy2.gif
. At first VW refused to repair the brand new Rabbit but said after I pay the dealer to fix it they "require" the "old" head returned to VW. I said if you want the "old" head then honor your warranty. They finally supplied a new head but I had still had to pay the dealer for the labor. After the head replacement it didn't use any measurable oil in between the 3,000 mi OCI's. This was the third and last VW I bought from that dealer needless to say. I believe today, 40+ years later, the dealer is still in business, amazing.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back