09 Chevrolet 5.3ltr switch to syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I recently purchased a new 09 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3ltr engine. I am currently setting at 440 total miles on the truck. I am planning on dumping the factory fill out at about 500-600 miles, if anything, for peace of mind, and was wondering what the the general opinion was on switching to Mobil 1 5w30 syn this early in its life?

I know that many cars already come factory filled with Mobil 1 Syn, but I wanted to make sure that switching to synthetic this quickly would not hurt the break in process, this thing has to last a long time!..LOL Thanks

I think what you are planning is fine!
thumbsup2.gif

No worries at all...

i agree it would be fine, but it might not hurt to find out if the factory fill is dino or synth. if it's dino personally i'd change it at 5-600mi w/ dino again till 1500-2000mi and then switch to synth. other people may disagree but i tend to err on the side of caution.

that 5.3 liter is a beast. i used to have an 02 yukon xl 5.3 and it loved mobil 1. i would also throw in a mobil 1 filter and change oil every 6k to 7k miles and forget about it.

not too sure about switching to synthetic 500 to 600 miles during break in. but for the life of this car. Mobil 1 all the way.

Last edited:
FYI, Mobil 1 is the factory fill for all Cadillac vehicles. Doesnt the Escalade have the 5.3L engine too?

Mobil 1 is also factory fill for...take it for what it's worth.

Chevrolet Cobalt SS S/C Coupe

Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06

Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS

If it were me, I'd hit 1000 miles, then dump it. I think it depends on how it is being driven too...

Originally Posted By: MBCLK
FYI, Mobil 1 is the factory fill for all Cadillac vehicles. Doesnt the Escalade have the 5.3L engine too?

Mobil 1 is also factory fill for...take it for what it's worth.

Chevrolet Cobalt SS S/C Coupe

Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06

Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS

M1 is FF on the 6.2L Escalade. 6.2L is the only engine option now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MontyD
Hello, I recently purchased a new 09 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3ltr engine. I am currently setting at 440 total miles on the truck. I am planning on dumping the factory fill out at about 500-600 miles, if anything, for peace of mind, and was wondering what the the general opinion was on switching to Mobil 1 5w30 syn this early in its life?

I know that many cars already come factory filled with Mobil 1 Syn, but I wanted to make sure that switching to synthetic this quickly would not hurt the break in process, this thing has to last a long time!..LOL Thanks

You can make the swap at any point you are ready to and you will be fine.

My 5.3L Silverado threw off metals like a big dog for the first 20K miles. I would just use a good conventional and 3K OCI's until she breaks in and stops throwing off so much copper/lead.

Good luck with the new ride. Your plan sounds good. I did this with my new Jeep: First change at 500 miles, filled with dino oil, ran that another 1500 miles, then switched to synthetic oil. If I were to do it again I would run a third fill of dino and change that out at 5000 miles, then make the change to the synthetic oil. We all do things differently so this is just my opinion. Some members have driven home from the lot and changed over to synthetic oil. Their engines are enjoying a long life.

Switching to synthetic oil at 500 miles won't hurt a thing. I was more concerned with the 2 early drains to get break in metals out, so I used dino which is cheaper. There are people who run 10,000 miles on the FF and have no problems either. Do what makes you feel best, that is what I did.

I agree with gramp...GM V-8's take a long time to break-in, I'd do at least 2 more short dino runs to flush out metals, then go syn.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
First change at 500 miles, filled with dino oil, ran that another 1500 miles, then switched to synthetic oil. If I were to do it again I would run a third fill of dino and change that out at 5000 miles, then make the change to the synthetic oil.

I have the same engine in my Silverado, and I like this plan right here. I wouldn't change a thing. I'd run conventional oil until 5,000 miles. This is a solid plan.

Pick up 12 quarts of 5w-30 Mobil 5000, and a couple of AC Delco filters at Wal-Mart... and save the Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 filter for the change at the 5,000 mile mark.

After that, I'd change out the Mobil 1 per the OLM.

Will you be using the truck in a manner that justifies the added cost of synthetic?

If so, put it in at any time.

If not, save your money and use a conventional.

I agree with the other above as far as running dino untill 10 to 15 k on the odometer. Being it is going into summer, you need not worry about the cold weather advantages of synthetics. Run a good quality dino and do shorter intervals. If money really isnt an issue then run PP and change it every 3 to 5 k. This is probably what i would do. your only talking an extra 8 dollars per oil change to run the synthetic. you really need to do shorter intervals when it is new no matter what oil you use. Look at it this way. if you do 3k changes for the first 15k miles you will do 5 oil changes. this will cost you (8*5)or 40 dollars extra to use synthetic oil instead of dino. in this time you have spend aprox (15,000/16mpg)*2.2 dollars= 2,062 dollars in gas. So it is going to cost you 2k to run the truck 15k miles, Is 40 extra dollars really a concern over 15k miles. In fact in the synthetic increases your gas mileage 1.9% you would recover that 40 dollars in fuel cost. Im not saying it will increase your gas mileage but it have been reported many times that synthetic oil can increse mpg. I keep a log every time i get gas in my 4.3 blazer. I believe i have enough data to say with confidence that i have seen about .5 mpg better fuel mileage with the synthetic. The data had been collected mostly in the last 8 years and i kinda slacked on the last few years so maybe the new dinos will see less of a differance. Anyway good luck with your truck. Im sure whatever you choose, that engine will last as long as you need it to.

BTW, factory fill on the Chrysler 6.1 425 HP V8 is Mobil One, too.

We own a fleet of 6.0 and 5.3 GM's. They are essentially the same motor. Our 05 Silverado is at over 41000 miles and has only had 3 oil changes on Amsoil 0W-30 with Amsoil filter. I dropped the original oil at 1000 miles.

All intervals were per the Oil Life Monitoring system in the truck. This motor is a complete Gem, absolutely the quietest engine I have ever owned!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
First change at 500 miles, filled with dino oil, ran that another 1500 miles, then switched to synthetic oil. If I were to do it again I would run a third fill of dino and change that out at 5000 miles, then make the change to the synthetic oil.

I have the same engine in my Silverado, and I like this plan right here. I wouldn't change a thing. I'd run conventional oil until 5,000 miles. This is a solid plan.

Pick up 12 quarts of 5w-30 Mobil 5000, and a couple of AC Delco filters at Wal-Mart... and save the Mobil 1 and the Mobil 1 filter for the change at the 5,000 mile mark.

Thanks all for the help. I thought it was recommended to stay away from the new AC Delco filters? I think I will do 3 changes using conventional oil and then make the switch over to syn. at 5k. Is there any harm to using a Mobil 1 M1113 filter from the get go? I didnt know if the increased particles from engine break in may warrant using something other than the Mobil 1 due to its lower micron rating. I dont know, but, It just seems like it would make more sense to run the M1 from the start since it uses the synthetic media and a better micron rating.

Last edited:
I thought it was recommended to stay away from the new AC Delco filters? I think I will do 3 changes using conventional oil and then make the switch over to syn. at 5k. Is there any harm to using a Mobil 1 M1113 filter from the get go? I didnt know if the increased particles from engine break in may warrant using something other than the Mobil 1 due to its lower micron rating. I dont know, but, It just seems like it would make more sense to run the M1 from the start since it uses the synthetic media and a better micron rating.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Thanks all for the help. I thought it was recommended to stay away from the new AC Delco filters? ....

Likely it was. For a good reason?

Use a dino for 15 to 20 grand. I like valvoline or castrol. M1 pays GM to be factory fill. For what it's worth!

Originally Posted By: JCM35
Use a dino for 15 to 20 grand. I like valvoline or castrol. M1 pays GM to be factory fill. For what it's worth!

How do you know that? As I recall when Chrysler filed for bankruptcy they declared a 7 - 8 miiilion dollar debt against Shell. I think you have it backwards on who pays who.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back