08 Sierra p0442

Got p0442 the other day. Cleared it and it hasn't come back. The gas cap on the truck is new so I made sure it was tight. Truck doesn't have much rust. Canister vent valve solenoid was replaced in '19 by the previous owner. Not sure what I should do if (anything?) it comes back. I don't really want to throw parts at it and I think the only way to really test the system would be with a smoke tester. Am I able to rent one of those or should I just not worry about it? Thanks

FL? Do they have emissions inspection down there? If not, the repair will cost all of one square inch of black electrical tape…

New gas cap doesn’t mean it’s the right cap. Some caps are defective out of the box, and some are just the wrong one installed.

To play devil’s advocate, what’s the downside of taking to a shop for a diagnosis? You can always decline the work, but have a much better idea of what it really needs. I did that a couple years ago, I started looking at what it’d take to debug an evap issue, saw how hard it was to get to the part on the engine (like a couple hours of shop time, times 3 if I did it), decided it was best to let the pros handle. The estimate was $300 or whatever so I told them to do it. It’s been fine for the last couple of years. Sometimes one has to know their limitations.

FL? Do they have emissions inspection down there? If not, the repair will cost all of one square inch of black electrical tape…

New gas cap doesn’t mean it’s the right cap. Some caps are defective out of the box, and some are just the wrong one installed.

To play devil’s advocate, what’s the downside of taking to a shop for a diagnosis? You can always decline the work, but have a much better idea of what it really needs. I did that a couple years ago, I started looking at what it’d take to debug an evap issue, saw how hard it was to get to the part on the engine (like a couple hours of shop time, times 3 if I did it), decided it was best to let the pros handle. The estimate was $300 or whatever so I told them to do it. It’s been fine for the last couple of years. Sometimes one has to know their limitations.
Gotcha, main reason is I'm cheap and not looking to spend a ton of money to chase a light down. I have no problem clearing it every so often. When you own a 15 year old vehicle you gotta carry a cheap code reader with you lol. Just trying to get some info and see what others think. I have the bill from when the previous owner replaced the canister vent - ~$400. I know its not a big deal code. No emissions test by the epa gestapo here. Here, we tell em to go chase down some volcanic eruptions and try to stop those gases LOL.

Back