08 S2000, 2.2L, Mobil 1 10w-30 EP, 40K @ 5K

I use the M1 EP line and it holds up well for many more miles than you went. I do 10,000 mile OCIs and the two UOAs I did came back with plenty of life left.Is the 5 qts of top off oil correct? Can't be.

Last edited:
Did you really use 5 qts of make up oil? Can someone explain to me where all that oil goes?

Last edited:
 Originally Posted By: sunfire
Did you really use 5 qts of make up oil? Can someone explain to me where all that oil goes?
Oil sump capacity is 5.1 quarts. The make up oil added is a probably a mistake.

There is no make up oil mentioned, probably none. The car is at 40k miles and the oil is at 5k miles. Extreme driving conditions = several track times ?

The OP shows 5 quarts of makeup oil. That's high but not totally unexpected with this engine, assuming it was driven aggressively. I have an '03 S2000 and although I don't consume nearly as much oil as the OP does, I still get criticized for my oil consumption. This is a good UOA, and testament to a great engine. The oil sheared down, which is typical of Mobil 1. Thanks for posting.

It didn't shear down hardly at all and it's not typical for Mobil 1 to shear. Certain grades it will, usually for a mpg gain.

Originally Posted By: buster
It didn't shear down hardly at all and it's not typical for Mobil 1 to shear. Certain grades it will, usually for a mpg gain.
Man, you just can't find any fault, ever, with Mobil 1, can you? You defend it as if it were your mothers honor.

Mobil 1 has faults, oil consumption & higher Fe levels in some engines. How's that? But shearing is mainly with certain grades. Actually, it did shear a bit. 10.7 to 9.3 cSt.

This engine shears oil....freaking 8000rpm+ redline! Many posters here are terrified of anything over 3k lol, so your UOA'sare bound to reflect this. Once again, for the particular car...this UOA is pretty good. I think he should switch to M1 10w-30 high mileage....now thats a stout oil!

Last edited:
The UOA looks just OK for an AP2 F22 engine on a 5k OCI. These engines don't normally use any oil at all. So if the 5 qt oil added is correct, he needs to try a different oil.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
The UOA looks just OK for an AP2 F22 engine on a 5k OCI. These engines don't normally use any oil at all. So if the 5 qt oil added is correct, he needs to try a different oil.
Every single one of these motors I have ever experienced has used at least 1 quart within an OCI... If they don't, they are being driven slowly. As soon as you wind them up, they start using oil.

I agree with Indymac: The F22C engine usually doesn't burn oil, however if it's aggressively driven, he may be losing a lot of oil through the PCV valve. Switching oils on this engine has worked for some S2000 owners, so it's worth a try. Otherwise, the OP may want to consider Krank Vents (note: this suggestion is specific to the S2000 engine). I've seen numerous UOAs on this engine, and I can't recall ever seeing one using Mobil 1 that didn't shear a fair amount.

Originally Posted By: pzev
 Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Every single one of these motors I have ever experienced has used at least 1 quart within an OCI... If they don't, they are being driven slowly. As soon as you wind them up, they start using oil.
I think you're referring to the F20C, and not the F22C.