'08 Ranger 3.0L, unknown oil/miles

Bought this '08 Ranger 3.0 in September 2020 with 187k miles on it. Decided to see what was in the crankcase. It appears to be 5w-30, but not sure on what oil brand. Any guesses? It has plenty of life left but the wear metals are pretty ugly.

I filled it with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-20, a Motorcraft oil filter, and ran it 2100 miles and am waiting for the next UOA. Want to see what the metals look like. I'll post that UOA in the next few days when I expect it to be ready. It's now filled with Supertech Full Synth High Mileage 5w-20 and another Motorcraft FL-400S. It appears to be running much smoother, not sure if it's the ST oil or just the fact that it's been flushed a couple of times in a short period of time.

08ranger091320.jpg

I filled it with Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w-20, a Motorcraft oil filter, and ran it 2100 miles
1) Why are you using a blend when full synthetics are a buck or two more per oil change, if not the same price on sale?
2) On any new to me car with dirty oil, I change it and the filter, run it 5-10 miles, then change the oil again. Not after 2100 miles.

1) Why are you using a blend when full synthetics are a buck or two more per oil change, if not the same price on sale?
2) On any new to me car with dirty oil, I change it and the filter, run it 5-10 miles, then change the oil again. Not after 2100 miles.
1) I was playing brand favorites going all Motorcraft, and as you can see, I did put a full synth in on the next oil change. The difference isn't enough to make a big deal about.
2) That's a good practice, I'll have to remember that with the next used vehicle I buy. Although personally I'd probably extend that out to 50-100 miles. I see no harm in doing what I did. It's still less than half a normal OCI.

Thanks for the feedback.

5, 10, 100 mile OCI is somehow going to do some sort of miracle maintenance? lol.

Change the oil, yes, run an absurdly low interval, no IMHO.

Silicon is higher than I would like and probably has a lot to do with the three metals being higher than normal. I would check air filter and for leaky air intake ductwork. The oils you are using are fine, they are not the reason for metals being elevated.

Back