08 Prius, 10k, Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time I used Amsoil 0w-30 for 15k.

JARED: This second sample out of your Prius looks really good. The metals that were high last time have
improved here. They were just left over from the break-in period. You've kept this oil in place 10,000 miles
and wear is a little higher than average, but everything is properly balanced. You could try 12,000 miles next
oil change. The oil's TBN read 3.3, so there's still active additive remaining for a longer oil change. No fuel
found at all, compared to the 3.0% we found last time. No other contaminants found, either. This Prius is in
very good shape. No problems found.

Miles on oil 10,000
Miles on Unit 27,000
Sample Date 4/09/09
Make-up oil 0

Filter Purolator Pure One

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 14
COPPER 2
LEAD 0
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 41
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 2
BORON 24
SILICON 27
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 2863
MAGNESIUM 13
PHOSPHORUS 619
ZINC 732
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 57.7
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.55
Flashpoint in °F 370
Fuel % 0.5
Antifreeze %
Water %
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 3.3
ISO Code

Here is the first one:

Blackstone Labs.

Miles on unit:17k

Miles on oil:15k

Make-up oil: .5 quarts.

You've run this oil for about 88% of this young engine's life, and that's the reason that we are still finding high
iron, copper, and silicon. We normally expect wear-in to be past by the time you get to about 10,000 miles, but when
you run long oil changes from the start, the process takes longer. You'll get there eventually, though you could speed
the process along by changing the oil at 7,500 miles next time. Note fuel at 3.0%. This is more than we like to see but
hopefully it's from rings seating. The TBN read 4.1 showing some active additive left. Check back.

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 18
COPPER 9
LEAD 1
TIN 11
MOLYBDENUM 1
MANGANESE 1
NICKEL 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 5
SILICON 58
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 3206
MAGNESIUM 11
PHOSPHORUS 594
ZINC 711
BARIUM 1

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.85
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 55.3

Flashpoint in °F 315
Fuel % 3.0
Antifreeze % 0
Insolubles 0.3

A TBN that high with 3% fuel is outstanding after 15k.

very nice . Makes me think that we should have kept our '08 PRIUS w/ package 2 . Traded it in last year in late spring when they were a hot item and got high trade in . Was using P.P. 5w-30 in that . Now have 2 YARIS with the 1.5 ltr. . We found that the PLATINUM helped tame the engine noise on the interstate or when climbing fairly steep hills . You find the same ? Enjoy your PRIUS . We miss it everytime we see one . :- (

Smokey1-Never noticed any difference on the engine sound. Love the car, love the mileage, always 55+mpg when above 70 degrees. Worst I've got is 44mpg in the single digit temps in winter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
What did you do to get the fuel down to 0.5% from 3% ?

I have no idea why it dropped, just glad it did.

Less fuel in oil . Maybe more highway mileage ? Longer trips ? Warmer weather ? All the above ? Maybe PLATINUM has an additve that absorbs fuel ( ground , liquified kitty litter ? ) . Bad joke . Sorry . :- )

Looks like you found the perfect oil for this hybrid
thumbsup2.gif

This time I'm going with Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter for around 10-15k. If the fuel stays down, I'll go with Amsoil again, and 20k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back