08 Mustang GT recomended oil and change interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 08 mustang GT (4.6 V8 3v with VCT), which I bought new march 08. For a little background, I changed the oil at 500 miles with Castrol GTX, than at a thousand with M1 5-20, than at 3k with M1 5-20 and then at 5k and every 5k since with the same (now at 22k). Also, since my 5k change I have added 3 ounces of ARX to the oil at every change.

My typical drives are a 5 mile drive twice 3-4 days a week (to and back from the gym), and an 11 mile drive twice ~5 days a week (I normally see some stop and go traffic on this drive, though only one way).

I also occasionally take my car to the strip, and I like to auto-x about once a month. A lot of my driving is casual, but I like to get on it. I also live in east Texas, so it gets hot in the summer (high 90's low 100's now).

I'm want to keep the 5k interval, roughly every six months for how much I drive. I was hoping I could get some oil recomendations. I've been using M1 because it's a bit easier to get, but I wouldn't mind ordering it either. Also, would you suggest keeping the ARX treatment, or should I kill that? Thanks for any advice.
Dan

I wouldn't think you would need the ARX on a vehicle this new with 5K changes. I would stick with the M1.

Welcome to BITOG, nice car BTW. You're going to get a lot of different opinions here, including using a heavier grade oil. IMO I would use Pennzoil Platinum in the 5w20 grade that Ford spec'd for that engine. I would consider your use as severe service, and follow Fords recommendation for severe service.

As far as the A-Rx goes, it won't hurt anything, and will keep that new engine clean. You could use 4 oz as a maint dose with the A-Rx, which is what Frank had suggested I use when I inquired about the product for my new Jeep.

Welcome to BITOG!

Some people like the maintenance dose of ARX, but honestly if you are going to continue with a high detergent synthetic like M1, the ARX dose is a waste. If you are going to run at the strip or auto-x, then definately stay with a synthetic, or at least a blend like Motorcraft.

Or you could run a dino + ARX for the same interval...

Last edited:
My reason for using A-Rx in my Jeep is the fact that it sits for sometimes as much as a week before being used. A-Rx helps oil cling to metal. It is my understanding that it is polar in nature and that causes the clinging. I figure it can only help, but as others have said it is not a necessity. JMO

Are you using the extended performance M-1?
I think that would be my choice for your driving and temperatures.

Welcome! I have the exact same car, model year and all! I pretty much do the same thing you are doing. I've used Motorcraft 5W20 and Mobil 1 5W20 in mine at 3K intervals (flame suit on) and NO auto rx. Mines at 25k miles and no issues obviously. They are one tough fast little motor and you won't ever hurt it with the oil and OCI you are using. Enjoy your hot rod and welcome fellow Texan!
cheers3.gif

Quote:

No need for additives for your car, it will also VOID your warranty!

This first part of your statement is true, the latter is not.

It may void the warranty if it contributed to the failure.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with PP 5w20, Synpower 5w20, M1 0w-20 and Amsoil 0w-20. I'd use one of those.

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
Ford reccomends 6 month 7.5k intervals. Use M1 0w20 and FL820S MC filter and rock on.
This is true for the "normal use schedule." The 'severe use" interval is 6 months/ 5000 miles however. I think most Mustangs come under severe usage!
crackmeup2.gif
19.gif

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice.

One of my main questions, is if I really had any need to run the ARX, that answer seems to be no so long as I continue short change intervals and a quality synthetic that has good detergent package.

My other main question, which I didn't voice properly, is if, given my climate and driving conditions, I should consider going to a higher viscosity oil. Perhaps a thicker 5w-20 or thinner 5w-30. Is there a particular oil of choice that might fit my needs, for instance I've heard that the M1 5w-30 is only slightly more viscous than their 5w-20. Not sure what is fact and what is fiction though.

In the not too distant future I will have made a few upgrades to help the car out in the heat, bigger rad (mostly for whenever I go racing) and a remote filter mount and oil cooler.

I still remember when I would take my old 2000 WS6 to the road course, it'd have M1 15w-50, start out pushing upwards of 80 psi oil pressure, but the end of a session it would be ~40 psi... These cars need oil coolers.
Dan

Originally Posted By: SAJEFFC
Welcome! I have the exact same car, model year and all! I pretty much do the same thing you are doing. I've used Motorcraft 5W20 and Mobil 1 5W20 in mine at 3K intervals (flame suit on) and NO auto rx. Mines at 25k miles and no issues obviously. They are one tough fast little motor and you won't ever hurt it with the oil and OCI you are using. Enjoy your hot rod and welcome fellow Texan!
cheers3.gif

The Mustang GT has to be one of the nicest cars on the road for sure..I would use 5w20 Motorcraft Full Synthetic.

I would not use the Auto RX in such a new well taken care of car.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN

only if you can prove that the additive damaged your vehicle

Originally Posted By: nooil
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN

only if you can prove that the additive damaged your vehicle

Not only would that have to prove that it caused the damage, but they'd have to prove that there was an additive in the first place, which I would think is very difficult.

That and I'm not too worried about my warranty, and if it breaks it will probably be my fault and I will fix it.
Dan

I also forgot to mention that I use Bosch filters, I have read that they are high quality filters with a better flow rate that M1 and manufactured by the same people that make M1 and K&N filters. Any thoughts on the Bosch filters?
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back