08 Lucerne: where does the battery vent go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the battery in my 2008 Buick Lucerne. In doing so, I also pulled the vent tube out. I have it plugged into the new battery but don't see where the other end goes. Is there someplace on the body that it attaches to?

Thx ... Bill

Does this help?

http://www.buiclub.com/info-3851.html

welcome2.gif

I had the back seat out of my 2008 Lucerne a year or so ago while working on another issue, and snapped this pic to help me remember how it all went together. It looks like the vent exits through the floor.

PS - Are your rear electric door locks working properly? I had both of mine go out only after a few years.

battery1_zpsadb410cc.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to Squirrlee and Merkava_4. Looks like what I need. Will try tomorrow when it's light out.

Door locks: mine are still working, thankfully. But the driver side electric mirror gave out. Very expensive to replace since the color has to be matched to the body.

And yes, the area where the battery lives is absolutely pristine ... not. A lot of artifacts down there.

Two questions.

- In the spot where the vent assembly grommet should be there is only a black washer with a wingnut. I'd add a photo but don't see how to include one.

- There are vent holes on both sides of the battery. Looks like I'll need a hose that links to both of them. Is that right? The hose I have now only connects to one side.

Thanks, Bill

I'll take a picture of mine if nobody else posts a picture. I remember I had to buy some special vacuum connectors when I did mine. And the only battery that was available was a Bosch from Pep Boys.

Ah ... I have to upload the image to a web server before I can include it. Here's what I'm looking at. The black plastic washer is where the vent connector should be ...

IMG_20141221_131214.jpg

What's up with that? Was there a prior owner? Looks like a butterfly screw in the center of the black washer/grommet. It appears just replacement grommet may be needed if the vent can't be pushed in with the screw removed. Has the battery been venting into the car since previous battery installation?

Now wondering if someone saw the vent hole with a prior installation didn't know what is for and just stuffed something in it?

Let us know what you figure out.

So, I had to take the car in for a recall. While there I asked the mechanic about the vent. He was as puzzled as I was, and installed a vent plug.

However, there are vents on both sides of the battery, but the hose is only attached to one. Won't there be caustic gas coming from the other one since it's left open? Should I get a 2-connector hose or can I just plug it with something?

Originally Posted By: Blearyeye
However, there are vents on both sides of the battery, but the hose is only attached to one. Won't there be caustic gas coming from the other one since it's left open? Should I get a 2-connector hose or can I just plug it with something?

I just bought a battery for my Volvo, and there was a vent plug for the opposite side included (on the plastic positive terminal cover that was on the battery at Costco.) So yes, the other side definitely needs to be plugged.

Last edited:
I agree that the other hole should now be plugged now. Thinking the wingnut with washer used on the other side could have been used. Just find/use something similar to plug the other hole.

I didn't see anything like a plug on the battery, but will look again. Otherwise will try an auto parts store or something.

Part #1 in that 2008 Lucerne drawing looks like it has a vacuum connector that connects the hose to the grommet on the floor board - similar to this:

47303-007.jpg

I found the actual part!! Check it out!!
smile.gif

Highlight the link below and do a right click. Select - "Go To Address."

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1441075,parttype,16762

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back