08 Grand Prix, 3800 N/A, M1 EP 5w-30, 12,921 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Pontiac Grand Prix, Mobil 1 EP 5w-30, Mobil one Filter, 12,921 miles on oil; 53,616 on vehicle. 0 make up oil. I have 5w-30 edge in the engine right now as it was cheaper than dirt at wallyworld, so my next sample will be roughly the same mileage with that. I really didnt extend the interval past the Oil Life Monitor, as the OLM still had roughly 2% left at the time of the oil change. Not sure what to think about the iron and copper...

Sample - Averages

ALUMINUM - 4 - 3
CHROMIUM - 1 - 1
IRON - 32 - 13
COPPER - 52 - 17
LEAD - 2 - 8
TIN - 1 - 1
MOLYBDENUM - 91 - 64
NICKEL - 1 - 0
MANGANEESE - 1 - 0
SILVER - 0 - 0
TITANIUM - 0 - 0
POTASSIUM - 3 - 7
BORON - 59 - 45
SILICON - 15 - 11
SODIUM - 16 - 23
CALCIUM - 2295 - 2076
MAGNESIUM - 12 - 89
PHOSPHORUS - 618 - 691
ZINC - 831 - 849
BARIUM - 0 - 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F - 62 - 56 to 63
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C - 10.77 - 9.1 to 11.3
Flashpoint in °F - 410 - >365
Fuel % - Antifreez e % - 0.0 - 0
Water % - 0.0 - 0
Insolubles % - 0.3 - TBN - 3.0 -

CHRIS: Iron and copper read high in this initial sample from your Grand Prix. This is not entirely
unexpected, since you ran the oil almost 13,000 miles. We base universal averages on only 4,700 miles.
Iron is probably okay, though copper doesn't usually increase like this on a longer oil change. This oil is
abrasive, and the oil itself may have caused excess wear at brass/bronze parts (copper). We see that you
are interested in longer oil changes, but we would not suggest it just yet, even though the TBN shows plenty
of active additive left. Try 8K-10K miles & check back to monitor.

Last edited:
That's not bad at ALL for 13k miles in a newer GM engine - copper is almost always high on GM engines. Lead is amazing for one of these engines.

Oil is in very good condition - visc., TBN, and flash are all great. TBN says this oil 'could' have easily gone the full 15k Mobil advertises. Be interesting to see how Edge does at the same mileage.

If Edge goes out of stores after that (don't know how much you have), I'd just go back to this oil - its working great!

I'd reccomend judging your wear by PPM per mile, in which case the cooper is very slightly elevated and everything else is low. As stated GM and cooper go hand in hand.

Agreed - It's fine.

One of those times were the unversal averages give you a good amount of info....

Interesting to note that the universal average on these engines after 4700 miles includes 7 PPM of Potassium...lol. :)

Joe

For 13,000 miles the iron is fine, but that copper. Is this the GM high copper thing? Although the copper is in line for the 4700 mile average of 17 PPM. TBN is good.

Last edited:
I agree bud looks good to me too, held grade still a nice 30w,good FP with fuel present and a TBN of 3 with NO make up oil all at 13k! you did fine on this run.
thumbsup2.gif

i would have run it again to get a real feel of this oil,did you do allot of short runs on this fill?? TBN hints you could have sqweezed another 1,000 outa it..what oil filter???

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Running it too far. 10k max oci.

Nope. 15k doable.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Running it too far. 10k max oci.

Nope. 15k doable.

No kidding,

to far?
LOL.gif

See, I purposely did not add make up oil, and very well should/could have. I did not want to skew the results as I have been planning this for awhile. Im sure the full quart low that i was at 13K would have changed these results a bit if were nat there, adding the quart over the OCI. Anyway, My next run will include make up oil, and will be with edge. However, after this wallyworld bonanza edge, I will probably not be switching from EP until i decide to try REALLY long drains and desire something else.

Looks fine, iron and copper must be a GM thing. Otherwise, oil looks in great shape, with plenty of TBN left.

Originally Posted By: El_Schaf
My next run will include make up oil, and will be with edge.

Make sure you take this into consideration vs the M1 that had no make up oil if you do another UOA.
wink.gif

nice filter choice too!

I absolutely plan to. It wont be a direct comparison though. It will be same filter, roughly the same mileage, however make up WILL be used... It was hard to look at my oil level and watch it slowly go down (not below the operating range, mind you) but knowing that i SHOULD put more in and not do it (for the sake science). That was my contribution. Now i will probably have a quart of make up in that time, to C.M.A. and make sure that i really can get that iron and copper wear rate low.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: El_Schaf
It was hard to look at my oil level and watch it slowly go down but knowing that i SHOULD put more in and not do it

I know
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back