08 F150 Supercrew 5.4 v8: whats your oil pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GC, PP, M1? Leaning towards the PP or M1 but I will wait until the second or third oil change to go to SYN, unless you guys suggest sooner?

PLMK, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
My '03 F150 5.4L is getting 5W30 Valvoline Synpower 5W30 tonight.

Oh man, you put that Valvoline in there and it will run like a Chevy.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny

grin2.gif

A Ford could never run that terrible...

PP works great in my 4.6L crown vics. Same basic engine as the 5.4L. My vote is PP. Decent price and a great product.

Why do you want to run syn oil? does the factory recommended it? The engine will most likley out live your ownership of the pickup with any rated oil at the mfgs recommended oil change interval.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I changed out the factory fill 5w-20 at 2500 miles on my 2007 5.4 3v to Mobil-1! At 29,000 miles it runs like butta!
At 29,000 miles it will run like butta with any oil that you can pour in it.

grin2.gif

That Valvoline is really that good, eh?

Originally Posted By: o2man98

grin2.gif

That Valvoline is really that good, eh?

Ha! I was always a GM guy and the worst thing I ever did was trade in my '03 Silverado Z71 for my wife's '04 Malibu Maxx. A couple of years and a lawsuit later and I won't buy another GM. Let's face it, the big three build trucks. My new to me '03 F150 is just as nice as my Z71 was. Both have +'s & -'s. The Chevy rode like a Caddy, but I also like the F150's ride too (FX4 off road). Overall, my Ford seems more "beefy" with a 9 3/4" rear axle, it sits higher, and the 5.4L has more lower end torque than my 5.3L Chebby. My Chevy had a tick, my Ford has a tack. It really is a close call. In the end, it's a tow rig for my Jeeps, buggy, and quads and they both could get the job done.

Getting back to the Valvoline, man it really makes my 5.4L purr. Perhaps using 5W30 instead of 5w20 helps noise/smoothness, who knows. There was no startup noise this morning and warm up and oil pressure were normal. I'm typically a "thick" guy using 10W40 and SAE30 in my Jeeps, but probably would have grabbed the VS in 5W20 if WalMart had it. They didn't, but I'm not worried one bit using the 5W30. I've always liked Valvoline AC and Maxlife and Synpower is stacking up to be the new PP, IMO.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Motorcraft 5w20 full syn with a motorcraft FL-820S filter is what i would use.

Last time I priced Motorcraft Full Syn 5W-20 it was $7.20 a quart!

I would use it too if it was reasonable, but until then I'll be running PP. In fact, I would much rather give my money to Ford & C/P than Shell, but I'm not going to pay out of the nose to do it.

If you have a hookup on Motorcraft Full Syn let me know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
im a master certified ford parts counterperson, so ya i have a hookup.

So hook me up! :D

How much are you getting it for? I've got a buddy who is a senior master for Ford, and his employee price for the stuff was ~$7.20.

Seriously, how much are you scoring it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back