08 F150 FX4 4x4 5.4 cooler line fluid change/Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I have already done a pan drop and fluid and filter replace. I want to change the remaining fluid in the transmission (14 qts) do any of you know the proper method for the cooler line exchange? I heard it is super easy and alot less messy to do. I also have Valvoline Max Life Multi-Vehicle ATF I was going to use. It says it's DEX/MERC, MERTON LV, which I read somewhere it is still good in Mercon V applications. Help please. THANKS!

Generally you disconnect the supply line put it in a bucket. Then you get new ATF and pour it in the same time as the car is pumping it out at idle. Once the fluid coming out is new turn off engine reconnect lines and verify levels.

You may need a helper.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
Generally you disconnect the supply line put it in a bucket. Then you get new ATF and pour it in the same time as the car is pumping it out at idle. Once the fluid coming out is new turn off engine reconnect lines and verify levels.

You may need a helper.

It isn't possible to pour it in as fast as it pumps. I do it w/o a helper like this.

Once you have the pan full of clean fluid:

a) pull cooler hose, put in a hose barb and hose extension led to a 1 gal. milk jug positioned where I can see it from driver's seat.

b) Run it until the milk jug is 3qts. full. You need to turn it off at 2/2.5 qts to make up for it spinning down.

c) add 3qts.

d) repeat b+c until fluid is coming out clean.

e) reconnect hose, run vehicle and adjust fill. The lost extra fluid from lines should leave you a little low so you can top-up instead of being overfull; or just slightly underfill after your last drain.

f) use leftover atf to do PS system flush.

This is what it looks like, though on this vehicle I have a drill pump to do the fill since it lacks a dipstick to pour it in and to make checking level easy (never again will I buy a vehicle with no AT dipstick!):

I spread around some cut-open lawn bags to catch fluid, and that makes clean-up A LOT easier.

Last edited:
I dunno that Mercon L-V is compatible with MerconV.
wink.gif

Yeah, often time to do it without a helper, I will open the fuse box and find the fuel pump fuse. Position the hose into a container and start it up.
You can let it run until it starts gurgling and pull the fuse to stall the engine. Don't worry about damaging anything. There is enough residual oil to keep everything lubed while its shutting off.

Or you can pull it at say the 3 quart mark and you will probably get about another quart before it stops.

Thank you for some of the replies, I was hoping the fellow f150 owners on here with my body style would chime in with a write up specifically for the truck. I also emailed Valvoline on the ATF this was their reply.

Cody, thank you for contacting Valvoline for your automatic transmission fluid application.

For your Mercon V application, we recommend the use of our Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc ATF product to meet the specifications recommended by your manufacturer. This product is 100% compatible for mixture or replacement in your vehicle.

I have an 07 F-150 and use the cooler line method to exchange the transmission fluid. My particular truck has a factory cooler with a thermostat controlled valve in line. I bypass the valve with a short piece of tubing to route the old fluid through the cooler and lines. I disconnect the return line to the valve and put a short piece of clear tubing on it, directed into a bucket. My bucket is graduated with quart markings so I can keep track of how much I pump out. Typically I pump either 3 or 4 quarts at a time, adding as much back. Total remove/replace is 14 quarts.
I have a helper start/stop the engine while I monitor the outflow under the vehicle.

^sonofbumperbolt, I am almost positive my truck has the same thing, It looks like a little aluminum box with the lines connected on both sides correct? Can you send me a picture of which line to disconnect? I really don't know which is which on this truck I would really appreciate it. I would defiantly like to do the method you are doing. Thanks, Cody

My thermostat is located on the passenger side of the transmission. The top rear tube is the fluid coming out of the transmission. the top front flows to the cooler when the thermostat is in the open condition. the lower front tube is the return, as is the lower rear tube. I disconnect the top rear, top front, and bottom front and leave the lower rear connected. USE FLARE NUT WRENCHES. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH! I then connect the top rear and top front with a short piece of clear tubing to bypass the thermostat completely. I use either zip ties or hose clamps to keep it secure. I then connect a clear tube to the bottom front, this tube drains into my graduated bucket. At this point it is simply having someone start the truck and watch the fluid pump into the bucket. I stop it at 3 or 4 quarts and then add the same amount into the dip stick fill tube. After 14 quarts are pumped/added, I reconnect the cooler lines to the thermostat and check fluid level.

^Yep that is exactly what I was looking at. I understand what you are doing now completely this should help me big time! Much appreciated sir. Now I just need to set aside some time to get this done. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back