08' Corolla PSF change

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

My OM states that Dexron II or Dexron III should be used. Since licensed versions of these are no longer available what is best to use?

In an '08? Doing a lot of steering I see.

Many dealers just use the T-IV. Anything compatible with Dexron III would also be fine, you'll find a half dozen universal atf's at any auto store.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
In an '08? Doing a lot of steering I see.

Many dealers just use the T-IV. Anything compatible with Dexron III would also be fine, you'll find a half dozen universal atf's at any auto store.

I like to change out all the old fluids when I aquire a new (to me) vehicle but I won't be changing the PSF or anti-freeze for awhile since the car has only 16K. I'm just asking so that I
know what to use when the time comes. I have a quart of Mobil1 synthetic ATF left over from when I changed my Buicks ATF and I will probably use it in the Corollas PSF system. I won't need it for the Buick because I'm planning on using ST Dex VI next.
The Mobil 1 ATF should be a step up from the OE PSF used in the Toyota, no?

"The Mobil 1 ATF should be a step up from the OE PSF used in the Toyota, no?"

In cold weather it would be. I doubt you'll notice a difference otherwise. It will make your PS resivoir a prettier color.

Power steering systems can get VERY hot.
A good full synthetic fluid is a wise choice.
And doing the turkey baster flush is also good maintenance.

Synthetic PSF is an excellent idea, in my dad's Lexus ES300, it felt like weight was taken off the steering wheel.

DexVI will be fine. I used it in a Scion TC.

Im not sure why everyone here seems to think Dex VI is ok to use in power steering sytems seeing that it has yet to be validated??? Toyota specs II or III. Stick with that until they say otherwise. It most likely will turn out to be fine, but until then, play it safe.

I use a dex III synthetic in both of my toyotas and it has worked very well.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Im not sure why everyone here seems to think Dex VI is ok to use in power steering sytems seeing that it has yet to be validated??? Toyota specs II or III. Stick with that until they say otherwise.

Since II and III are obsolete specifications (from the fluid manufacturer), it's my understanding that stuff bottled as II or III could be pretty much anything with a red color, right? Kind of like SL oil. Since that API specification is obsolete now, stuff branded as SL (like the Peak 10W-40 I bought a little while ago) doesn't necessarily adhere to the SL requirements. So in general, we use SM, or whatever the current API specification is or will be. Next year, we'll probably be using SN in those applications requiring SL.

I don't think folks are recommending VI as much as they're recommending against II and III (because of obsolessence). Thoughts?

PSF's tend to be poorly cooled, rarely filtered, and rarely changed. I would step up to a full synthetic ATF that mentions DexronIII or Mercon on the bottle.
If you are cheap, I would minimally use a MerconV.

Someone mentioned that Nissan switched to DexronVI in their PSF's. Hopefully, Toyota will do the same. An easy to find store bought ATF is better then some silly dealer-only poor-performing PSF.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
PSF's tend to be poorly cooled, rarely filtered, and rarely changed. I would step up to a full synthetic ATF that mentions DexronIII or Mercon on the bottle.
If you are cheap, I would minimally use a MerconV.

Someone mentioned that Nissan switched to DexronVI in their PSF's. Hopefully, Toyota will do the same. An easy to find store bought ATF is better then some silly dealer-only poor-performing PSF.

+1

That's ridculous. Oils meeting Dex II or III can not be "anything" other than oils meeting Dex II or III. Perhaps you should be using more reputable name brands. Engine oil is different than ATF and is not comparable. An engine can operate on a wide variety of oils, but an ATF cannot.

Originally Posted By: Tones
That's ridculous. Oils meeting Dex II or III can not be "anything" other than oils meeting Dex II or III. Perhaps you should be using more reputable name brands. Engine oil is different than ATF and is not comparable. An engine can operate on a wide variety of oils, but an ATF cannot.

I'm pretty sure that Mopar's ATFs are not that way. That is, ATF+4 is the current specification. All bottles that claim ATF+4 have paid licensing fees to Mopar to have the lubricant validated as meeting the specification, and they can advertise that on the bottle.

Since ATF+3 or ATF+2 is an obsolete specification, Mopar no longer validates lubricants to meet that spec, and no longer regulates the license on that. So an ATF that is advertised as ATF+3 may or may not meet the specification.

No?

As such, that's how I understood the Dexron issue to be. Since II and III are obsolete, and VI is the current specification, what you're getting when you buy II or III may not actually be II or III.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Im not sure why everyone here seems to think Dex VI is ok to use in power steering sytems seeing that it has yet to be validated??? Toyota specs II or III. Stick with that until they say otherwise. It most likely will turn out to be fine, but until then, play it safe.

I use a dex III synthetic in both of my toyotas and it has worked very well.

yep i use amsoil universal atf in both my toyotas.. no issues

I highly doubt the latest Toyota factory fill is ATF. It is yellow, doesn't smell like ATF, and it leaves really bad deposits.

In the past, Toyota actually had ATF in the PS system.

Take that junk out, and fill it with synthetic ATF. You will not regret it.

My 06 vibe PSF is dark brown. says use dexron III. I haven't changed OEM fill out yet. but I'm thinking about it. I'll consider Dex VI or a Multi-vehicle ATF

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
My 06 vibe PSF is dark brown. says use dexron III. I haven't changed OEM fill out yet. but I'm thinking about it. I'll consider Dex VI or a Multi-vehicle ATF

Do it. You will not regret it. I have found that synthetic is worth the money in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back