08 Camry V6, 132K, Valve Covers removed

How hard is a valve spring to change on those? Guessing timing chain, cam, follower removal & air hold to keep the valves shut (while pulling the keepers & replacing the spring)? I've only done pushrod ones, guess I'm old...
Discharge A/C and drop the powertrain (engine+trans) out the bottom. Time the engine, remove manifolds, valve covers and timing cover. Remove cam housings with camshaft. Then replace springs.

24.6 hours.

Discharge A/C and drop the powertrain (engine+trans) out the bottom. Time the engine, remove manifolds, valve covers and timing cover. Remove cam housings with camshaft. Then replace springs.

24.6 hours.
With the labor rates around here if I couldn't do it myself I'd probably sell it. ;)

So no pitting? What are we seeing in the pics then?
Maybe it is dust? I am not sure. I had someone else at the shop look at it today (I wasn't there) and they told me it was fine. I will personally look tomorrow.

What is the yellow writing on the cam in pic 2. Has someone been in there before?
That is factory. The valve cover still had the usual factory RTV. This is my father-in-law's car.

24.6 hours.
Remove timing cover, belt, cam and spark plug. Fill cylinder with air then remove ,replace spring. Easy pezzy

All of that duct tape ain't normal, but the closeup photo makes it look worse than it is..
This is not duct tape, it is grey vinyl tape and common in this sort of application. The tape is the least of his worries.

24.6 hours.
And I thought a N* was bad at 19 hrs. There is a lot to be said for a 4 banger eh.
Is there enough room to remove the cam sprocket bolt off the sprocket and hold it up while you pop the cam? Time to get inventive if possible.

Interesting how there is basically no varnish anywhere but clumps of sludge exist. Maybe a hot spot in the cylinder head? Or just an area that doesn't get much oil flow?
I noticed that too. ? It looks like some sort of dirty crud.
Yes looks very clean. Thanks for the pics. Are you going to try and pick out those pieces of sludge?
After further disassembly, the dark spots in the front cylinder head were indeed....sludge. Some of it was removed using picks and brake cleaner, but most of it stayed. It would have probably required hot tanking to clean.

Last edited:
Back