08 Accord 2.4L 4-cyl, Mobil 1 5W-20, 7314 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
OLM 0% for about 200 miles until the oil was changed.
Oil filter used was a M1-110.

08accord.JPG

engine wear to improve only when Mobil-1 is drained--IMO

Running Castrol GTX in my 05 Accord-and all values are below universal averages after 6K oil and filter changes

When will people see the light and stop using Mobil-1?

Steve

With just one UOA to see here with an engine that is still breaking in, I don't know how much to atribute the silicon to leaching of gaskets, how much to dirt, and how much to oil additive. A clue is that chromium is only 1 which is a typical number for it unless there is dirt ingestion that can elevate it above 1. You could look at VOAs of this oil to get virgin silicon. You could look at other peoples UOAs of same engine to see how your silicon compares to those of similar mileage. Use good paper air filter and make sure it's seated properly.

Iron definitely stands out. you could put a drain plug magnet on so you can monitor iron/steel wear with that too. That will catch the particles that are too big to get measured in a UOA. UOA "wear" is not always proportional to actual wear.

Definitely there is elevated fuel dilution. When Blackstone measures flashpoint as low as 355 F, you can count on more there being more than the usual fuel present. What was the warming up like prior to taking the oil sample?

TBN is disappointingly low for this engine using a synthetic not of the budget-type. Maybe it's from the driving cycles or maybe there are other synthetics of similar price that could do better? I'd want to find out.

Has nothing to do with the oil! I've seen numerous M1 2.4L UOA's and they are all excellent.

This engine wears VERY low on ANY oil. I'm not sure what is up with this particular report but blaming the oil is not the right solution.

Thank you all for your responses. Keep them coming!

To answer a few questions, the length of time the oil in service was 5 and a half months. The air filter was replaced in November 08, and driving style was mostly stop-and-go except for about 1500 miles or so highway miles. Outside temperatures were typical of a prairie winter....COLD!

The engine wear does have me a little concerned, but I won't sound the alarm bell just yet. I think I will change the oil out at 15% OL as opposed to stretching it all the way to 0%

Originally Posted By: steve20

Running Castrol GTX in my 05 Accord-and all values are below universal averages after 6K oil and filter changes

My iron numbers for M1 oils in Ford engines are very low even at 9 to 10,000 miles. This shows the Honda is either still breaking in or there are enternal problems with this engine, only which time will tell.

Stevo, Your assessment of M1 is wrong. M1 oils typically produce long lasting engines, even in Hondas.

Steve

For a Honda 4-cylinder, that is BAD engine wear. I understand that its during the winter, on an engine w/only 21k miles on it, but those engines barely prodce any break-in metal.

I'd switch to a quality dino, and go back to 3k mile changes until this settles down.

Who put the air filter in? I've seen some shops forget to securely fasten the filter housing down and retighten clamps on the air intake hose before. Sadly, it happens more than you think.

Wear is very high for this engine. Something is not right.

Do yourself a favor and do a search on the Honda 2.4L in the UOA section. It's the lowest wearing engine in existence on any oil. I would check for an air intake leaks and take another sample in a few thousand miles.

Manganese/TR of fuel. Good amount of fuel is in the oil and silicon is double the average.

I would expect that engine to be well broken in by now at 21 k miles. How many oil changes has it had since new?

I typically use UOAs from that Honda engine as a basis comparison to UOAs from my subaru H4, since they typically produce excellent numbers.

Definitely something to keep an eye on and track with UOAs.

What oil are you running now, another batch of M1 5w20?

I'm thinking a little more HTHS might help the bearing wear. Drain a qt. or so, and throw in some of the M1 15W50EP that's widely available on clearance.

Running and ducking from the 'Thin is In!' backlash!
27.gif

If you look at the history of UOA's with this engine, you'll realize the oil and viscosity is NOT the issue here.

Some good insight here. Thank You again for your replies...I am open to any and all suggestions so keep them coming -- that's why we are all here!

To answer a few questions: this is my 3rd oil change. Every time I have waited until 10% or less to change it out. I am thinking for the next one, as soon as it hits 15% oil life, I will take it out. 1st oil change was FF and taken out at approx. 7000 miles replaced with M1 5W-20. 2nd oil change was taken out at approx 14000 miles, again using M1 5W-20. The oil that's in now is M1 5W-20.

To my Canadian friends, I am using actual miles, not kiloemtres.

I seem to get the impression M1 and PP are what is most recommended, so I feel very comfortable using M1 in both my Hondas. I wish I did UOAs from the very start, but I didn't discover this site until last year
frown.gif

I recognize and read arguments against a 20 oil and would have no problems using a 30 oil, but am reluctant to use a 5W-30 because I don't want an issue with Honda and the possible refusal to honor warranty work because I was not using the recommended grade. All oil changes have been done by the dealership using M1 5W-20 I provide.

Thanks again for the posts...keep them coming! I really enjoy reading all the points of view here.

Originally Posted By: steve20

Steve

I don't know what happened here but there have been Honda 2.4's with excellent UOA's posted on this board using M1. Including some with OCI's up to 20K...

"I recognize and read arguments against a 20 oil and would have no problems using a 30 oil, but am reluctant to use a 5W-30 because I don't want an issue with Honda and the possible refusal to honor warranty work because I was not using the recommended grade. All oil changes have been done by the dealership using M1 5W-20 I provide."

The 20-weight oil isn't the issue - I agree, stay with what is recommended. I'd just go to a dino, and shorter intervals, until you figure out what is causing the increased wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back