08 Accord 2.4L 4-cyl, Mobil 1 5W-20, 7314 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
x2 on different oil, u have 3 variables u can change and see the difference.
oil, filter and miles.
personally I stopped using full syn in my hondas due to fuel dilution.
M1 has disappointed me and M1ep more.
try other wally's syns like PP or Maxlife

Why change the oil when the oil isn't the problem? Another run with the same oil will at least give you a small trend and you can start to get an idea what is wrong.

Originally Posted By: buster
Why change the oil when the oil isn't the problem? Another run with the same oil will at least give you a small trend and you can start to get an idea what is wrong.

Because it's easier to blame M1.

Probably just a longer breaking in engine 'cause of the syn oil. You should be using the oem AF every 15 to 20k mis. I prefer PP to M1 but that's just me. Shorten the oci to 5k. Stay warranty compliant and let the dealer do all the in warranty oil changes. My Honda dealer charges $20 for the change including the filter and I bring my own PP 5-20.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Probably just a longer breaking in engine 'cause of the syn oil.

What???? You're kidding, right?
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Probably just a longer breaking in engine 'cause of the syn oil. You should be using the oem AF every 15 to 20k mis. I prefer PP to M1 but that's just me. Shorten the oci to 5k. Stay warranty compliant and let the dealer do all the in warranty oil changes. My Honda dealer charges $20 for the change including the filter and I bring my own PP 5-20.

The car now has over 21,000 miles which by now I would have expected it would be broken in by now (even with syn). The AF was last changed in November.

I will be considering a switch to PP, but that will depend on the cost. I buy all my oil once a year when I make my annual visit to the U.S.. Mobil 1 in Canada is about $42 Canadian Dollars (about $35 US Dollars) at Wally World (can anyone spell "rip-off" ?!?) and PP 5W-20 in the 5L bottle is not even available here (only the 1L/.95qt bottle for $9 Canadian Dollars). Stuff in the US of A is so so so much cheaper!

I fully intend to shorten the OCI 5-6k. My dealer does all my oil changes. I refuse to allow them to use a Honda (aka FRAM) filter and I always bring my own (I have excess supply of Mobil, Purolator and ST filters in my garage). My dealer charges me anywhere between $15-$20 when I supply the parts.

Thank You all for contributing to this thread. Keep them coming! I really enjoy the various points-of-view.

Wow, you must be red-lining it right after start up to throw those wear metals on a Honda! (Just kidding). As Buster says, this is very unusual behavior for a Honda 4-cyl under any conditions other than initial break-in... and at over 20k miles, you are past that. I would definitely keep testing the oil from this engine to see where it goes.

I'm on my second change of M1 0W30 (green cap) in my 2004 Accord 2.4 and after a very nice report previously using GC, maybe I'll pull a sample on this oil when it's done and put to rest (or confirm) that old rumor that M1 shows excessive wear metals!

here is my theory... there are only 3 oil change after initial factory fill, and there are about 20-25% of used oil left in the engine after each oil change. if dealer is adhere to Honda recommendation to change filter per every 2 oil change, that means even more used oil left in the system. used oil are high in iron due to break in period and somewhat "tinted" this UOA, plus this M1 was put in at around 14,000 miles which is still very "YOUNG" in mileage. i think it's too early to say oil or engine have issues. just my guess.

My brother has a 2008 Accord Coupe with the 2.4L 4 cylinder. These engines are easy on oil. His driving is mostly highway and suburban so his OLM generally lasts until 10,000 miles. He generally changes around 30% oil life with Honda dealer bulk oil.

He has 20,000+ miles on his car with no trouble.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Engines can be different. Maybe this engine is a little tighter than most.

Maybe the stop and go driving and the cold Canada weather was tough on it too.

Wear is way high. I've never seen this level of wear in the Honda 2.4L. I should have a M1 5w20 10k mile sample in a few months. Hope it doesn't look like this. All my previous UOA's with M1 have been very good in this engine.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
here is my theory... there are only 3 oil change after initial factory fill, and there are about 20-25% of used oil left in the engine after each oil change. if dealer is adhere to Honda recommendation to change filter per every 2 oil change, that means even more used oil left in the system. used oil are high in iron due to break in period and somewhat "tinted" this UOA, plus this M1 was put in at around 14,000 miles which is still very "YOUNG" in mileage. i think it's too early to say oil or engine have issues. just my guess.

All oil changes I have done have included a new filter every time. I do not like the idea of a Fram-in-disgusie oil filter, so I always bring my own to the dealership for them to change.

Well, it's only ONE uoa. Though the iron is higher than what we normally see in these motors, it's not enough to even throw a yellow flag much less a red flag. I say run whatever stinking oil that you like in it and i'll bet it continues to slide down,down,down. Let not your heart be troubled. There's some real issues that are worth more attention.
I see these motors week in and week out in my shop that are lucky to get an oil change with the cheapest dino made and an orange can of death on them once a year and they just keep on going. Honda got it right the first time with the K-motor.

In order to eliminate one variable take another sample for a basic UOA. If you get samples with a hand pump, clean/flush it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back