'07 Yamaha Stratoliner, Rotella T6 5W-40, 3,557mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first UOA ever and the test was done by Blackstone. I couldn't find any UOA's for Yamaha Liners so here it is. I think it looks good but iron seems kind of high to me even though it is slightly below universal averages of 19. This is my second oil change on T6 and using PureOne oil filter PL14612 and K&N drop-in air filter. My first T6 oil went for 4,986 miles. I have no issues with clutch or shifting (smooth as butter). Since switching to the T6, it has gotten rid of this wood knock sound when running the engine below 2K rpm's going up a slight incline. I know I should not be doing this and it is not my normal practice. I don't know what type of oil was used previously since I bought it used. I'm guessing a Yamalube dino oil.

Blackstone Comments:
We're glad to see you haven't changed this oil yet because it's still good for more use. Universal averages show normal wear metals after about 4,700 miles on the oil. Your oil hasn't been in place as long and that likely accounts for the generally lower-than-average metals. There was a little fuel present in this sample, though some fuel is common for bikes so 0.8% isn't a big concern. Insolubles read low at a trace, showing good combustion and oil filtration. The TBN is fine at 6.6 since 1.0 is too low. Leave this oil in use 2,000 more miles before resampling.

Code:

Oil Shell Rotella T6 5W-40

Miles in Use 3,557

Miles 13,643

Sample Taken 9/28/2011

Aluminum 8

Chromium 0

Iron 16

Copper 8

Lead 1

Tin 0

Molybdenum 68

Nickel 3

Manganese 1

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 0

Boron 48

Silicon 14

Sodium 7

Calcium 1073

Magnesium 1474

Phosphorus 1076

Zinc 1506

Barium 1

SUS Viscosity @210F 68.7

cSt Viscosity @100C 12.62

Flashpoint in F 360

Fuel % 0.8

Antifreeze % -

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % TR

TBN 6.6

3557 and still a 40wt. with 0.8% and flash of 360 !!!!
wear numbers look good
background scatter is typical of the stoners!
(barium 1 and manganese 1 really? shocked no silver!! )

fix the fuel and your bike will wear out about 10years after you do!

steve

Thanks so much steve! I know you're the oil guru here from reading a bunch of posts. Regarding the fuel, my spark plugs show a nice burn and that i'm not burning rich and I don't do short trips or idle a lot when cold so where else could this fuel be coming from?

I get up to 52 mpg but average in the high 40's when using the backroads and riding 2-up.

alex

i dont know that motor at all.

excessive idling?
not enough heat in the motor/oil to burn of excess?
or just overly rich?

yeah, you just said NO to all 3 of those.

stuck choke? or fuel enrichment circuit (if efi)

when you say a nice burn on the plugs is it a light light tan to almost white? or is it black?

and i am not THE guru. just an bald old [censored]
laugh.gif

steve

My engine is fuel injected and the plugs show a light tan color. I do ride lower rpms (2000-2500) most of the time, hence the great fuel mileage from an 1854cc engine. Should I be running it higher rpms more often? At 70 mph, i'd be turning over at 2750 rpms.

I forgot to mention that my bike has a semi-dry shared sump with the tranny.

Last edited:
Yes, I've got the Cobra Fi2000r. Pot settings are 1-3-4. Stock settings are 1-2-4. I also have a D&D slip-on exhaust. I've changed the low pot to 1.5 and the mid pot to 2.5 independently and both times have experienced more stalling issues when slowing down to a stop. So I put it back to where it was happiest.

Nice UOA !

Big air-cooled long stroke engine with a shared sump, and the viscosity is still in the 40wt range after nearly 3600 miles - amazing.

Originally Posted By: strat7
Yes, I've got the Cobra Fi2000r. Pot settings are 1-3-4. Stock settings are 1-2-4. I also have a D&D slip-on exhaust. I've changed the low pot to 1.5 and the mid pot to 2.5 independently and both times have experienced more stalling issues when slowing down to a stop. So I put it back to where it was happiest.

These bikes will have a tendancy to stall if the hot idle speed is below 1000 RPM's, is that the case?

With the miles he has on the oil, I dont see any issue with .8 fuel, very normal.

Unless he got 4 to 5% fuel that would be more an issue, I imagine his bike runs flawless, no reason to fix something that isnt broke.

My hot idle is typically around 900 rpm and doesn't stall if sitting still. It was stalling mostly when running low speeds (1st gear, 10-15mph) and coming to a stop. The bike has an auto idle adjuster that probably needs adjustment. So far, on my last two long rides, it hasn't stalled. So I'm leaving well enough alone.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
With the miles he has on the oil, I dont see any issue with .8 fuel, very normal.

Unless he got 4 to 5% fuel that would be more an issue, I imagine his bike runs flawless, no reason to fix something that isnt broke.

Bike does run flawless. I do need to learn to leave stuff alone that ain't broken. Although with bikes, it's hard not to tinker.

Originally Posted By: va3ux
Nice UOA !

Big air-cooled long stroke engine with a shared sump, and the viscosity is still in the 40wt range after nearly 3600 miles - amazing.

Thanks! I was thinking of trying the Valvoline VR1 but then again, maybe I'll just stick with T6. Hard to beat the price of this full synthetic.

kballowe, no 360 is pretty low i have a uoa with fuel at
if the bike is happy running. dont mess with it!!! dang boy, 52mpg and a pretty awesome uoa.

just put the key in and go!

steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back