07 MAZDASPEED 3 Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think of this car? The numbers look kind of impressive for the price. Like the stealthy looks. Starting at $22,835 from Mazda web site.

Do you think the turbo engine and drive train will be reliable?

2.3 Direct injection turbocharged 4 cylinder.
Horsepower 263 @ 5500 RPM
Torque 280 @ 3000 RPM
6 speed manual
limited slip

From the net
Top speed 149 to 154.5 MPH
1/4 mile 13.90 - 14.20 ETs

I've always thought the Mazda 3 hatchbacks were neat cars for their segment. For the price it's quite a good package IMO. My only issue is FWD but that's what you get in that price range typically.

However, the 5-door VW GTI is not far off in terms of price and I have a soft spot for German cars
smile.gif

really good car. you will get hit when it comes time to replace tires though. the size is 205/50/17. i know where i work, we only stock Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in that size. about $1000 for a set of 4.

well, the question is, what other cars currently out there provide that level of bang for the buck?

Im still thinking...

could a 2dr, v6 MT accord be had for those bucks?? Though it is apples to oranges in the car world, I wonder how different actual performance would be... at least speedwise. There are no handling stats in the OP, so maybe that is somewhat irelevant.

You would cath more folks off guard with a v6 MT accord than a mazdaspeed 3.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by bdcardinal:
really good car. you will get hit when it comes time to replace tires though. the size is 205/50/17. i know where i work, we only stock Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in that size. about $1000 for a set of 4.

Ouch, tires are something to check into for sure. Mazda web site is showing they use a special 215/45/18 on the Mazdaspeed 3 so I suppose the price of new tires is even worse than a grand with this size?

ZR2, funny you mention that... I had my car search down to a V6 6MT Accord sedan or a 5 door GTI 6MT (again, total apples to oranges). After driving both several times, I flipped a coin (essentially) and got the Accord. I just felt a little more comfortable in it, and it's far cheaper to insure. I also got quite a bit more equipment for the same money as the VW dealers we're interested in talking price on the still-rare 5 door models. So far I couldn't be happier.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
well, the question is, what other cars currently out there provide that level of bang for the buck?

Im still thinking...

could a 2dr, v6 MT accord be had for those bucks?? Though it is apples to oranges in the car world, I wonder how different actual performance would be... at least speedwise. There are no handling stats in the OP, so maybe that is somewhat irelevant.

You would cath more folks off guard with a v6 MT accord than a mazdaspeed 3.

JMH

i'm pretty sure V6 6MT accords can be had for invoice, which is around 23K. This generation is at the end of it's cycle so demand is not high.

Also, i believe the stats for the car are just estimates, no one has published actual figures yet.

I'd wait and see before buying this car, seeing the overrating fiascos mazda has had with the miata and rx8. Not to mention the MS6 has that power loss issue that mazda just band aid over.

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:

quote:

Ouch, tires are something to check into for sure. Mazda web site is showing they use a special 215/45/18 on the Mazdaspeed 3 so I suppose the price of new tires is even worse than a grand with this size?

Probably the best performing tire in the world for street use at this instant is the Yokohama Advan Sport, and it is sold in both of those sizes (205/50-17 and 215/45-18). From a performance standpoint, it is far ahead of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (or any all-season tire, all of which have compromised wet traction). A set of four Advan Sports in those sizes will set you back closer to $600-$700 than $1000.

(Part of what makes the Advan Sport such a good handling tire, however, is a soft sticky rubber compound. The UTQG wear figure is only 180.)

true on the advans. michelin is the main brand my store carries. its actually cheaper for those than the factory Goodyears. we dont carry Yoko anymore where i work.

quote:

you will get hit when it comes time to replace tires though. the size is 205/50/17. i know where i work, we only stock Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in that size. about $1000 for a set of 4.

Ehh.. it's not so bad. TireRack currently has 59 different tires available in that size, starting at $60 per tire, but as GC4 mentioned, Mazdaspeed3 actually uses 215/45/18 which start at $107.

Anyway, if you want a sporty car, you need to factor in the cost of sporty tires. It just comes with the territory.

I'd like the MS3 better if it was a AWD, 3-dr hatch.
Mazda's going to sell the cars off the Cougar Ace as used cars. maybe some MS3's were on there?

Mag article I read said power was going to be
For a 215/45R18 I'd look into the Kumho SPT's or Toyo T1R's. Beats paying $191 each for Advan Sports.

Actually I'd look for some 17x8" rims and try stuffing some 225/45R17's, 235/45R17's, or 245/45R17's in there.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

Subaru WRX especially with its new larger 2.5L turbo motor for 2006.

I don't fully understand Mazda's thought process in making this car FWD (besides $$$). The Mazdaspeed 6 has a few more horses and was blessed with AWD, which IMO is an ideal setup when that many horses are involved. Despite the limited-slip devices involved with the Mazdaspeed 3, standing starts are bound to be a challenge. My 5-speed V6 Altima was a very fast car, once you got it past 20 mph. 0-20 was a tire smoking, torque-steering drama fest.

Mazda already has access to the AWD version of this chassis in the Volvo S40. I think the Mazdaspeed 3 deserved this performance enhancer as well. A lot of guys on the Mazda forum argue that the added weight would be such a HUGE detraction, but from where I stood with my 3i sedan, even 150 hp channeled through the front wheels was sometimes aggravating when trying to make a right turn onto a busy street, especially if the intersection was slightly wet from sprinkler runoff. Mazda really should consider offering an AWD version. I loved it in my Talon TSi.

Let me chime in here since I currently own an '05 Mazda3 2.3L I4, 5spd.

First off, this car is a blast to drive. Handling is amazing and power (160hp/150ft.) is enough to make it fun yet efficient (over 21K miles on car, averaging right at 30mpg).

Quality is top-notch. Materials are high-quality. Bang for the buck on this car is one of the best. You won't find too many other compacts that offer NAV, projector HID's (with manual adjustment), auto-sensing wipers, LED tail lights, etc. for the price-level it's at. We have had ZERO issues with this car. On a Mazda3 board that I am on, there is a rep from a Mazda service dept. She said that the Mazda3 is by far the least seen vehicle in their service area. The 2.3L, IMO, is a GREAT engine. Very smooth and quiet. I am highly impressed with it.

Now that they are throwing a turbo on the engine, I think the Speed3 will be a screamer. It's been confirmed that the ratings will be 263hp/280ft. lbs. I believe the Speed3 weighs in around 3100 lbs. The price on the Speed3 is incredible. I agree though that in the first 6 months people will probably have to pay MSRP. They are only making 5,000 of the Speed3's for the US in 2007. Demand will be high.

I have considered trading in my '05 for an '07 but financially it doesn't make sense. I'd LOVE to get my hands on one if possible.

BTW, tire prices aren't really an issue. They are a weird size in the 17-wheel (205/15/17) which limits options but they aren't anywhere near $1000...that's ridiculous.

For an Ultra High Performance All-Season, the cheapest tire is $89 (Kumho ASX) and they go up from there.

The boost is derated in first and second gears and when the wheels are turned to help "control" standing starts. I bet I know what many owners are going to do once they get home...

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back