07 Kia Rondo 2.4, 3000mi, Mobil Clean 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my first sample on my Rondo, turned out to be a snoozer. Some history, I have owned the vehicle since new and I have run every oil fill almost exactly 3000 miles including the factory fill.

2007 Kia Rondo
2.4 liter 4cyl
21000 miles at time of sample
3000 miles on sample (warranty compliance - severe service)
Mobil Clean 5000
OEM filter

Sample done via dipstick hole after a 15ish mile freeway drive in 85 degree weather. Oil was changed later that evening.

Lab: Holt Cat, San Antonio, TX

Wear Metals/Additives
Cu 1
Fe 4
Cr 0
Al 2
Pb 0
Sn 0
Si 9
Na 253
K 2
B 56
Mo 109
Ca 1571
Mg 13
Zn 672
P 551

Oil Condition
ST 0
OXI 17
NIT 10
SUL 22
W N
A N
F N
V100 9.4

Lab comments: Normal wear metal readings. Sodium is high. No glycol detected at this time. Inspect oil filter(s) for any evidence of larger visible debris trapped in the filter element(s). Check for any unusual performance, noises, vibrations, oil pressure, fluid levels, etc. Continue to monitor. Change the oil and filter(s) if not already done. Resample at half the normal interval.

Well obviously I'm not going to do any of that! MC 5000 contains sodium as an additive. I am very pleased with this report, I live 2.2 miles from work and I do many, many 5 minute trips in this vehicles. I come home almost every day for lunch so my day consists of 8.8 miles in 4 short trips. I thought that the wear metals would be higher and the viscosity would be solidly down into the 20wt range. Not so.

I think maybe I'm going to go cheaper - the OEM filters are about $6 each and MC5000 costs about $2.60 a quart. 3000 mile changes are needed for warranty compliance according to the dealer. I'm going to look for one of those 5qt oil change specials with 5 quarts and filter for around $10.

Although this time I got QS HP full-syn on sale for $8 after rebate, so that's what I'm running right now :D. I got 2 more jugs of it too which should take me through to the 30K service at my current OCI's. Also running a Wix filter which is a funny story. Found an old Wix in my garage for a vehicle I no longer own. I took it out and was eyeballing it and then I realized the receipt was still in the box!! From 10/04 lol. So I took it back and O'Reilly's took it back after some discussion amongst employees. Picked me up a 51334 and I'm using it with the current run of QS HP 5w30.

Another thing I'm thinking about trying on this car is 5w20, it is printed right on the oil cap to use GF-3 5w20. But the manual says that 5w20 and 5w30 are ok in all temps and 10w30 is ok above 0F. So I'd like to try the 5w20 and see if it gives me any extra fuel economy. With the large amount of short trips that I do, I doubt the oil ever gets anywhere close to 100C anyways. I did use the 5w20 for the first couple of OCI's but since then I've run 5w30 for no particular reason other than my comfort level.

Comments welcomed...although not really much to say about this one.

Last edited:
I assume this started as a 30wt? Some shearing but not bad. High Si for the mileage pretty standard on hyundai/kia's. Must be an automatic 0 lead. I'd stay with the short oil changes, hyundai/kia's are rough on TBN. From experience my highway driven car needed 4k-4500 mile changes on dino, 5k was doable but the TBN's where always low.

Nice results. I love the add-pack on that oil.

Nice job on the filter exchange! Not often that works out!

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
I assume this started as a 30wt? Some shearing but not bad. High Si for the mileage pretty standard on hyundai/kia's. Must be an automatic 0 lead. I'd stay with the short oil changes, hyundai/kia's are rough on TBN. From experience my highway driven car needed 4k-4500 mile changes on dino, 5k was doable but the TBN's where always low.

What do you think it'll do on the QS HP? Think I can run it longer? I think I can order a TBN with a Holt kit although it does cost more I think. The standard kit like I got above is $11, it's a good deal.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles

What do you think it'll do on the QS HP? Think I can run it longer? I think I can order a TBN with a Holt kit although it does cost more I think. The standard kit like I got above is $11, it's a good deal.

Mobil warranties this oil for 5000 miles. You're changing too often. IMO.

Last edited:
When determining OCI intervals, whatever XOM says an oil lasts is not relevant. What is relevant is the requirements for maintaining warranty compliance and the results of any UOAs done.

Ok... then why did you ask if you think you could go longer on the QS synthetic (good deal by the way) unless you were looking to break your 3,000 mile trend?? This oil looks like it is performing very well in your application with the severe service driving that you submit it to. I feel sorry for whoever buys your "found" Wix filter from 04-it probably was dry rotting on the shelf when you bought it back then LOL!

Originally Posted By: pickled
Ok... then why did you ask if you think you could go longer on the QS synthetic (good deal by the way) unless you were looking to break your 3,000 mile trend??

Yes it can go longer 6k is very safe but Pickled has a valid point. If you are going to stick to 3k miles changes whether or not it can go longer really does not matter. My neighbors just moved from Pa to NC with their Sportage. The dealership they bought it from told them the entire state of Pennsylvania is severe service and they would have to do 3k oci's for warranty.

My oil changes follow pretty close to Ted's formula which is based off of fuel consumption. If you haven't seen the spacebears oil test its still good fun. You can punch your own numbers into the various calculators.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/interval.html

If you are not interested in extending your oci I wouldn't pay for a TBN. UOA at this drain interval are not needed except for trending.

Last edited by a moderator:
This 5w-30 looks great compared to M5000 10w-30 report for the Cavalier dated 10/2008. Additive packages are different. 10w-30 didn't have Boron or Sodium. And the 10w-30 sheared to the same viscosity as this one.

Consider Mobil Clean 5000 if you're buying 5w-30.

Last edited:
Brons2, how do you like your Rondo? A bit goofy looking, but every time I have driven one (5-6 times) I find myself impressed. A nice weird crossover with room for kids.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Brons2, how do you like your Rondo? A bit goofy looking, but every time I have driven one (5-6 times) I find myself impressed. A nice weird crossover with room for kids.

They're a very, very useful vehicle that has good interior room and decent (not great) fuel mileage. Bout 23-25 around town and 28ish on the open road. The V6 gets worse mileage in town, I have the 4cyl. I'm 6'7" and I fit well in the car. And with the back seats folded down I can carry lots of stuff in the back.

I'm probably the only single childless 30-something male that drives one of these things
grin2.gif

SteveS: I do tons and tons of short trips which is supposed to be severe service but yea I never go over 3K RPM until it's fully warmed up. And I do all my maintenance like clockwork.

Last edited:
i won't consider it severe service because the short trips are not int he cold. FWIW we are in similar climates and I have a very similar commute. (3.2km or 2 miles each way 4x per day)

I think what he described certainly is severe service. Even in warm temps, the engine is not running long enough to zero out moisture in the crankcase. Considering his super short trips, this oil performed very well. It only sheared to about where Havoline DS 5W30 and Chevron Supreme (same product now it seems) are at while still virgin in the bottle. I think he's found his best bet on oil for his Kia, very cost effective too for 3K OCI's... MC5000 is always priced below competing dinos like Pennzoil and Valvoline, and lately has been getting put on special occasionally to make it even a better value.

I got some of this to try in my jeep, but will probably use the Valvoline Synpower I have in it first. After that I think I'm gonna stick with conventional. For the price, this looks like a oil I might stick with.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Be a sport. Stick with the oem filters. Might affect a warranty claim.
Why? Do you think this may be using the Mitsu/hyundai/Chrysler world engine with HIGH bypass rating (over 25psi) that wix does not meet? Is this a PZEV motor with burp air injection? OTOH, I would rather give business to Dan/wix and not some silly in the pacific rim, though. To the OP, no need to stick to 3K OCI if your doing UOA. Try 4K and keep those OCIs handy. A talk to the service manager can clear up any future concerns Let him/her know what your doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back