07 honda v6 oil advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there, ive tried searching but cant really seem to find any good uoa's for the j30 in my 2007 accord v6. im going to be changing my oil and cant really seem to decide what oil to put in. ive narrowed it down to M1 5w20 or 5w30, or PP 5w30 (no 5w20 available in my area). i live in canada, so the warmest temps my car will see is 30 degrees this summer, and that will only be on a handful of days. it does get cold up here, down to -40 but the car is plugged in if it gets that cold. what oil would you folks suggest? are you able to point me towards any uoa's that might help me out? im doing 5000 mile oilchanges so any of these would be fine i know, just wondering what might be the best for this particular engine...
thank you very much, and sorry for the long post.

Welcome to BITOG!

I'd use a good 5w-20 Conventional with 5k OCIs.

(I'd really follow the OLM if it was my car)

Take care, bill

both of your selections are very good. im sure ull get a 50/50 answer from people here. i personally like PP for Hondas. just choose the correct weight depending on your location.

Are you in an extremely remote area? No PP 5w-20 at all where you can get at it? We're using that in my wife's Avalon, and the engine seems to love it. And this is Florida, fer cryin' out loud. I would think it would work very well for you, as might a good 0w-20.
cheers3.gif

welcome2.gif

What Bill said, or a good 20 weight syn like PP and go 7-10k miles. Whatever fits into your life schedule better.

Yeah, what Bill said!!

I have an 07 3.0L and have been running Honda oil(MC5k) and filter, dealer installed while under warranty. After, I'll likely run whatever 5w20 I have in my stash, now Valvo Prem Conv, QS Green and I have some QS Horsepower syn which was a good deal, though I've not run syn before. Motorcraft 5w20 syn blend also a good value.

OLM, is a good suggestion, with 5k minimum.

J

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: momomeister
How about M1 0w-20?

What about it? Not needed for his engine. Esp with 5k OCIs. Even with the OLM.

Hondas will run forever once you get a good one. (and most are)

Any SM rated 5w-20 will do him fine.

Bill

I'd only use 20 weight synth if you have short trips in winter. Otherwise, there are a lot of options.

30 weight oils do work well too. If you see a good deal on 5w/10w-30, grab it for summer because I know you guys pay a premium price for oil. Don't waste money on synth when dino is fine...prefering 5w-20 in winter. That's partly why I change on a time schedule and not exact mileage. Tweaking the visc for the seasons is how I roll. I actually have 10w-30 Chevron Supreme Synthetic in my '07 Accord 2.4 now, and it is quite smooth.

As far as cold visc...it takes a synth 5w-20 to get thinner than a synth 0w-30. That is, dino 5w-20 is very close to 0w-30 at near sub zero temps. So imo, synth is not needed, even in your climate.

thank you for the replies everyone. ill probably pick up some M1 5w20 for my ride. im in edmonton, ab so the winter can be pretty harsh i just wasnt sure if it would be better on my motor to go with a 5w30 as far as long term durability/performance. we have such limited supply of 5w20 in canada, in my area the only 5w20 availible in 5L jugs is M1 or Castrol GTX. Its around 9-10 dollars a bottle for something in 1L bottles, which is just rediculous.

I live in Edmonton too and I use (conventional) Mobil Super 1000 5W-20 in my 2007 Accord V6. It's rated SM and GF-4. Should be more than adequate.

I stocked up during a good deal on 5 liter jugs a year or so ago. I think it cost about $12.00 a jug. I change it according to the OLM.

PP 5W-20 would be better oil (supposed to be resistant to fuel contamination, which is said to be a problem with Honda V6's) but my change interval is barely 8,000 Km (5,000 miles) so I think using PP would be a waste.

Ecotourist

I just want to clarify from what I posted about ealier.

If anyone with a 5w-20 spec engine decides to use 5w-30 for any reason, the cost of 5w-20 for example, be shure it's not junky 30 weight oil. SM dino is fine for those engines, but if you end up with an SL product, if definately should be a synth or a good name semi-syn. SJ, skip.

Back to the OP, how are the cold numbers on GTX 5w-20? Probally not too bad. Like I said, similar to a 0w-30 synth.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: momomeister
How about M1 0w-20?

What about it? Not needed for his engine. Esp with 5k OCIs. Even with the OLM.

Hondas will run forever once you get a good one. (and most are)

Any SM rated 5w-20 will do him fine.

Bill

Any SM rated 5w-20 will do him, agreed. However, he did say it gets cold, down to -40. Even though he has the luxury of plugging it in, I'm assuming to a block heater at home, he's not going to have that luxury out on the road.

If I was him, I'd feel better running a synthetic 5w-20 or 0w-20 to have better cold start protection.

If he's out of warranty, with synthetic he could probably go to 7500 mile OCI, provided he's willing to do an UOA to confirm beforehand..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VTIR
only 5w20 availible in 5L jugs is M1 or Castrol GTX.

Is there any Formula 1 synthetic 5W-20 (4.4L) in your cloest CT?
You only need 4.3L with filter change!

"Any SM rated 5w-20 will do him, agreed. However, he did say it gets cold, down to -40. Even though he has the luxury of plugging it in, I'm assuming to a block heater at home, he's not going to have that luxury out on the road."

We live in the same place and it's cold in my end of town too. It does get down to -40 here sometimes, but not every year, and even then only for 2 or 3 days. Lots of -5 to -15 Celcius, and often down to -25.

Plug ins are found almost everywhere you'd be likely to park for very long in the colder areas of Canada. I have a plug-in at work for example. But I've never actually used the block heater on my Honda, or on the Toyota Solara before that, or on my BMW 528i either. I almost always have my car in an (unheated) garage at home and at work and they always start well.

Ecotourist

Honda engines especially the j30 are not picky on oil. Any good oil like yellow bottle, gtx. I have a rsx-s with the honda K20A2 engine owned it for 2 years feed it a steady diet of syntec 0w-30, q horsepower 5w-30, or pp 5w-30 basically the one of those 3 that happens to be on sale or next in line in my stash. I recently took off my valve cover to change my valve cover and it was spotless in there no gunk no sludge everything looked pristine. Ill upload some pics later. Just get the best oil you can afford and follow the OLM.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist

We live in the same place and it's cold in my end of town too. It does get down to -40 here sometimes, but not every year, and even then only for 2 or 3 days. Lots of -5 to -15 Celcius, and often down to -25.

Plug ins are found almost everywhere you'd be likely to park for very long in the colder areas of Canada. I have a plug-in at work for example. But I've never actually used the block heater on my Honda, or on the Toyota Solara before that, or on my BMW 528i either. I almost always have my car in an (unheated) garage at home and at work and they always start well.

Ecotourist

I guess I should have been a bit more explicit. My point is that if your car is left out all day or all night in temps mentioned, synthetic is going be better for the engine, especially at startup. Yes, the engine is going to crank and startup. But most wear occurs at startup, as we all know here.

Originally Posted By: VTIR
hi there, ive tried searching but cant really seem to find any good uoa's for the j30 in my 2007 accord v6. im going to be changing my oil and cant really seem to decide what oil to put in. ive narrowed it down to M1 5w20 or 5w30, or PP 5w30 (no 5w20 available in my area). i live in canada, so the warmest temps my car will see is 30 degrees this summer, and that will only be on a handful of days. it does get cold up here, down to -40 but the car is plugged in if it gets that cold. what oil would you folks suggest? are you able to point me towards any uoa's that might help me out? im doing 5000 mile oilchanges so any of these would be fine i know, just wondering what might be the best for this particular engine...
thank you very much, and sorry for the long post.

I have 4 analysis reports on a 04 J30 engine. Click link here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1210220&fpart=1 (don't read the last page though. I had a moment of weakness and bumped heads with a member or two...)

All reports came back fine. The 11,000 mile one was pushed about as far as I should. I have since backed back down to every 4 months which is about 7,000 miles or so...

Of your listed oils, I would pick the M1 5W20 but only because it is a 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back