07 honda v6 oil advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: momomeister

But most wear occurs at startup, as we all know here.

I think we here at BITOG should strive to ammend that phrase to:

"Most wear occurs during the warm-up phase" which is more accurate.

hi everyone, well with the options availible to me M1 5w20 seems to make the most sense. I would love to try PP 5w20 but it just isnt for sale in 5L/5quart jugs around here. If anyone in canada/alberta has any ideas please let me know. Canadian Tire/Part source hardly have any 5w20 for sale, the only place i found a couple options was Wal Mart.

Someone mentioned Castrol GTX, but its pour point is only -33 degrees Celcius as per their website. Thats quite a disadvantage for me as its often that cold in winter here and M1 has a pour point of -47.

Thank you for all the replies and input.

i would have chosen the 5w20 gtx for the summer, and follow the cars oil change monitor. mobil 1 is great for the winter and about 10+k kilometers or more, but only 7500ish kilometers on mobil 1 might be a waste from what people say

Originally Posted By: VTIR
hi everyone, well with the options availible to me M1 5w20 seems to make the most sense. I would love to try PP 5w20 but it just isnt for sale in 5L/5quart jugs around here. If anyone in canada/alberta has any ideas please let me know. Canadian Tire/Part source hardly have any 5w20 for sale, the only place i found a couple options was Wal Mart.

Someone mentioned Castrol GTX, but its pour point is only -33 degrees Celcius as per their website. Thats quite a disadvantage for me as its often that cold in winter here and M1 has a pour point of -47.

If you wish to satisfy your curiosity, this coming winter put 1 qt each of your top X choices of dino and your top Y choices of synthetic outside, say for the regular cold winter day and try to pour it into another container while outside. That most likely will be what your engine sees at cold startup..

Originally Posted By: Junior

How about within the first 2 minutes of startup?
56.gif

Originally Posted By: VTIR

If oil is expensive where you are then use a good synthetic and do longer OCI to save money in long run. I agree go synthetic... get M1 5W20 if it has the lowest pour point and cold start numbers. Synthetics is not over kill where you live. You don't want your car not to start when a freak frigid weather hits. Then trying to change to synthetic is too late.

Last edited:
Considering his climate more carefully, I'd also say synth is the way to go. What if he doesn't have access to a plug?

Originally Posted By: Junior

How about within the first 2 minutes of startup?
56.gif

I don't think you can assign a number to it. It depends on how long it takes the engine to warm to or near operating temperature. It is significantly longer in the winter compared to the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back