07 F250 6.0L Diesel, Mobil 1 Delvac 1 ESP 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took this sample at 9,100 miles on the oil through a Fumoto valve on my 07 6.0L F250 daily driver. I ran this Mobil One Delvac 5w40 ESP instead of my normal fill of Schaeffer's 5w40 at the last oil change; I was pressed for time and didn't have time to order the Schaeffer's. Bought the Delvac 1 at a truck stop in town, probably paid too much but man did it perform well. I didn't change the oil and I'm glad I didn't. I normally run this engine at 10K mile OCIs, this oil shows that it has more to give. I'll test again about 14K miles.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
Took this sample at 9,100 miles on the oil through a Fumoto valve on my 07 6.0L F250 daily driver. I ran this Mobil One Delvac 5w40 ESP instead of my normal fill of Schaeffer's 5w40 at the last oil change; I was pressed for time and didn't have time to order the Schaeffer's. Bought the Delvac 1 at a truck stop in town, probably paid too much but man did it perform well. I didn't change the oil and I'm glad I didn't. I normally run this engine at 10K mile OCIs, this oil shows that it has more to give. I'll test again about 14K miles.

\

Shewee! Look at the calcium in that Shaeffers!!!!

Thanks for sharing. Mobil 1 Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 usually goes on sale at NAPA for $21 or so and Mobil has a rebate of $12 off per gallon...so I stock up during those times. Thanks for sharing...was looking at trying Schaeffer's at some point. Curious, is high levels of calcium not good?

I might also add that this engine is sans EGR valve and catalytic converter. Wouldn't try to push the oil on this engine before those items removal.

Everything looks good in your sample, besides the low viscosity, which doesn't hurt a thing as far as wear metals.

This is the reason in my 6.0's I tried and quit using 5w-40 as the viscosity ended up being lower than UOA's using 10w-30, with 10w-30 also showing lower wear particles and the bonus its cheaper than 5w-40.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
Everything looks good in your sample, besides the low viscosity, which doesn't hurt a thing as far as wear metals.

This is the reason in my 6.0's I tried and quit using 5w-40 as the viscosity ended up being lower than UOA's using 10w-30, with 10w-30 also showing lower wear particles and the bonus its cheaper than 5w-40.

Welcome to the less VII/heavier base oil club
wink.gif

Looks good for a 9k mile run. My last Delo 400 LE 5w30 sheared significantly to 9.73. Although "5w" is great for start up, mpg, cold weather...not much shear stability in a HEUI. Although I prefer Delo, For this reason (shearing), my current fill is Amsoil ACD 10w30....with no VII's, a stout additive package, I'm curious to see how far I can run this oil vs wear numbers. My first UOA will be done at 5500 to see where I'll be at and go from there.

Delvac makes great oil, thanks for sharing, nice to see UOA's in the 6.0 powerstroke.

Last edited:
I was concerned that an oil for modern LE diesels wouldn't protect my older school engine. Glad to see that my concerns were misplaced with this oil anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back