07 civic burning oil after switching to mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its an 07 civic with 30,000 miles on it. I just switched to mobil 1 and now its burning oil.. any ideas? should i switch back to regular oil?

If its the first fill of syn or M1, its fairly normal. Give it a couple fo runs to stabilize....

I have almost a couple thousand miles on this oil change and i have already addded almost a quart. it didnt do this before i switched to mobil 1

been down that path . Was with 2000 PRIZM ( Corolla ) that had little over 70,000 miles on it when I decided to switch to a synthetic using MOBIL 1 5w-30 and then a fill of PLATINUM 5w-30 and then PENNZOIL S.U.V. 5w-30 blend and then back to regular PENNZOIL 5w-30 where it stopped consuming not long after . Was close to a quart at first and gradually slowed down as weened it back to PENNZOIL conventional 5w-30 . Never used much , if any oil before the switch . Crazy . Good Luck .

Relax. It should pass. Just ask yourself if there's any insult the engine has endured to justify the consumption of that magnitude. If the answer is 'no', then it reasons that no harm has been or is being done.

Transitional consumption is not all that uncommon when switching from one chemistry to another.

I don't think there's a consensus on why it occurs ..or rather the mechanism that allows the consumption ...but occur it does on occasion
21.gif

Stick with it. It should retreat progressively as you go forward.

Thanks for the help. I will keep using it and i will let you know if the oil consumption slows down as the more i drive it.

You may have a little carbon build up around your rings with the dino. M1 will soon clean that up.

M1 is probablly cleaning the engine and thus causing the consumption. Check that your PCV didn't clog up with residue that M1 has released...
wink.gif

Positive crankcase valve.

Unlike others here I don't beleive the terrible "piston ring deposits" that pop up here.
smirk2.gif

Some engines don't like the brand of oil that people here push. No biggie. Just try a different oil.

The Valvoline you were using will take your engine MANY MANY miles with NO PROBLEMS.

I would have stayed with it.

Take care, Bill

Last edited:
Yea, if I had a nickle for every time I see Mobil 1 and oil consumption in the same sentence...

The fact is that some engines do use certain oils more than others.

I'm with Bill on this. M1 won't gain you anything that is worth putting up with oil consumption. Just use an oil that your engine does not use at an excessive rate.

Ed

Every Honda engine is different.

I have gone 11K miles on Mobil 1 in my 2007 Civic EX and it consumed less than 1/2 quart of oil. It has 65K miles and still uses very little make up oil.

Switch back to Valvoline.

My buddy has got me worried he said that switicting to a synthectic oil can make the gaskets get bigger and make little holes that the very thing mobil one oil can get threw and even if i switch back to reg oil the damage has already been done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back