07 civic burning oil after switching to mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: donny939
My buddy has got me worried he said that switicting to a synthectic oil can make the gaskets get bigger and make little holes that the very thing mobil one oil can get threw and even if i switch back to reg oil the damage has already been done...

crackmeup2.gif
I bet you he uses Slick-50 or Duralube
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Sell him some swamp property in the Everglades.

Or a bridge.

AD

Quote:
My buddy has got me worried he said that switicting to a synthectic oil can make the gaskets get bigger and make little holes that the very thing mobil one oil can get threw and even if i switch back to reg oil the damage has already been done...

Thats a bunch of hog wash !!

LOL.gif

But really, donny, don't think too much less of your buddy. All myths had some truth to them somewhere in their past. Usually it was coincidental that the effect matched the cause. We all get continually educated here when the upper strata dwellers grace us with their presence.

Again, if you want to run a synthetic (like M1) do so. Get your money's worth out of whatever oil you choose. There are no magic oils.

I'm sure your consumption will retreat in time.

Your consumption will retreat in time... If you own a British car like I do, then it only gets worse!
LOL.gif

Gary, No magic oils? I thought of Amsoil to be a magic oil, but I guess I'm the only one at the magic show then!
48.gif

It is well known in the mb diesel communities that switching to synthetic at high mileages can show increased consumption. Most se this go to little/none if the engine is in good condition, within 10k miles.

Lots of engines changed at well over 100k also...

I was at about 300K miles when I ran a high mileage sythetic blend and my car drank it FAST....like 200 miles per qt. I ran regular dino and it stopped. If you insist on synthetic, then I would check the dipstick every day for a while til it settles down.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Your consumption will retreat in time... If you own a British car like I do, then it only gets worse!
LOL.gif

Gary, No magic oils? I thought of Amsoil to be a magic oil, but I guess I'm the only one at the magic show then!
48.gif

Notice! Nothing up my sleeve! (from Rocky and Bullwinkle intro to commercial break).

The revelation came during one of Doug Hillary's posts. He's an amazing guy. Try and follow Doug's posts. at some point, you'll see it reduced to "Garyspeak".
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
I was at about 300K miles when I ran a high mileage sythetic blend and my car drank it FAST....like 200 miles per qt. I ran regular dino and it stopped. If you insist on synthetic, then I would check the dipstick every day for a while til it settles down.

You didn't use it long enough. For all you know, it would have stopped if you didn't switch to dino ..at exctly the same time. Not that I'm saying that I wouldn't have done the same thing, just that it's hard to base a conclusion without being able to describe the mechanism that allowed the event to occur.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex

A quart in 200 miles instantly after switching? Man I've never heard of such a thing, at least when there is zero consumption on dino. Crazy though, perhaps you should have left it in longer?

I don't know why you are experiencing oil consumption, but it does not sound like you are burning oil. If you are burning oil you should be able to see some smoke from the tailpipe, and most of all you should be able to smell it. Haven't you ever been driving behind someone who was burning oil? The smell is unmistakable.

I had a rear main leak...all other seals were replaced when replacing timing and balance belts. I put on at least 100 miles per day and the oil leak became so severe that it was actually spotting on the rear of the car. I ran a couple ARX cycles and it stopped. the rear main seal is the original seal and I just turned 330K miles today. I wasn't going to wait around for it to stop and I achieved these miles on dino ... now the dipstick is always at the same level--AND I probably appear OCD since i check the oil level every morning---that rear main got me paranoid.... all i am saying is that it seems like the oil loss became very fast when I topped it with the syn.

i am serious, I would pull the dipstick and it would be down almost to the lower mark after about 100 miles --I thought I was in real trouble and would have to get the rear main done immediately. so I topped it with some rotella, then super-tech, then had it changed to pyb and arx.

fwiw, when I put GC into my 100k Audi 30v V6 (a notable oil burner) consumption was cut in about half. I ran it past 10k twice and consumption was about 1.5q over that time. So, it depends on WHICH synth oil you are talking about.

Sure, AJ, but that's a variance in a known condition probably due to engine design. There ..one oil may have a given property that endures the cause of the consumption better than another. It's different for an engine that has no consumption and then suddenly, with only a chemistry change, consumes (relatively) massive amounts of oil, with none of it coming from leakage.

Oil should still oil, doing the same stuff that it was. I tend to lean to some transitional interactive disruption. I've experienced it, myself. Not that this is the assured cause, but it's the most likely in the absence of a leak.

What would be a real oddity, one that would lead to a anecdotal myth, will be if the consumption continues like this after returning to a dino. Then it could be said, "Using M1 made my engine start consuming a quart ever 200 miles".

Originally Posted By: donny939
I have almost a couple thousand miles on this oil change and i have already addded almost a quart. it didnt do this before i switched to mobil 1

Two things:

1) What viscosity did you put in? I didn't see it your postings.

2) If you have 2-3 thousand miles and you've added almost 1 qt, it isn't that bad. If you were using 1 quart per 1K miles then yes, that could be cause for some concern.

I'd switch back to Valvoline. I ran M1 in a '96 Civic for 3-4 oci's a while back and it consumed about 1.5qt every 3000mi. Switched back to Maxlife (which is what it was using prior too) and the consumption was more than cut in half. I don't know why it happened but it's not the first time I've heard about it.

"Mobil 1 must be doing a good job cleaning."

I doubt it. A 30k mile Civic is highly unlikely to have accumulated the sort of ring deposits one might associate with high oil consumption. I would simply go back to the previous oil used and see if the problem goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back