06 Tundra, M1 5W30 SM, Fram XG filter, with PC/TBN

As promised, here is the UOA with particle counts using Mobil 1 5W-30 SM and the Fram XG-3600 filter. As I expected with a high-end filter, the Particle Count results were excellent.

Also as I stated, this is the last UOA I will be performing with Particle Counts, and the last of my evaluation using Particle Counts of various oil filters. My conclusion of this multi-year experiment follows - for those that wish to skip my long-windedness, here is the UOA.
2011_July_Tundra_Oil_Reports.jpg

Re-stating the purpose of this experiment:
For those who haven't seen this series of UOAs, my purpose was to investigate the filtering efficiency of various brands of oil filters through UOAs with ISO Particle Count analysis. I attempted to keep as many variables constant as I reasonably could for a vehicle in service, including:

1) Same brand, weight, and rating (SM) of oil used - Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 SM, all purchased from Walmart
2) Same brand and grade of gas used, purchased from the same station (Shell)
3) Same driver using the vehicle, in the same geographical area
4) Same sampling method (suction through dipstick) used, with vehicle parked in same exact location
5) Same lab used for all testing
6) Engine warm, and was driven for several miles before sample was taken
7) No make-up oil was ever added during an interval, nor were any additives used

Analysis:
With the exception of the two Amsoil filter runs in 2008, for the most part, the Particle Count results varied too much to enable a truly valid comparison between filters. It was interesting that all the other UOA measurements, for the most part, were very consistent across the UOAs. I think this helps validate that the samples were properly drawn, but the tests were not truly valid to enable determination of which filter performs better.

Conclusion:
Although this has been a fascinating experiment, overall I am disappointed that no clear "winner" emerged as far as a filter that consistently delivered better particle count results. I speculate this is primarily due to the sampling technique. The sample comes from the oil pan (though the dipstick tube). This means the samples drawn from this location are subjected to whatever particles are picked up through the engine, as well as blowby, after going through the filter. A much better place for drawing the sample would be immediately after going through the filter. But doing this would mean I would have had to install a tee or some other kind of plumbing to take the samples. I didn't want to modify the vehicle as this may have voided the warranty (This vehicle is under extended warranty until 100K miles). Still, I am glad I did the experiment.

I am convinced that something was wrong with the two Amsoil filters used culminating in the UOAs performed in March 2008 and July 2008. I wish I had saved and cut those filters open - The results were so much worse than any others, I wonder if there was a problem preventing proper flow through the filter. Note that later examples of the Amsoil filters performed in line with the others.

So, what filter will I use now? My conclusion is any premium filter will perform well on your vehicle as far as filtering efficiency goes. So, I would base my filter choice on quality of construction. My favorites in this regard are Mobil 1, Royal Purple, and Amsoil. Of those three, the Mobil 1s are more easily obtainable in my area, and a bit cheaper, so I will be using those moving forward.

Next Steps:
I have purchased another Tundra (2011) and therefore my son will become the principle driver of this vehicle. In addition, Mobil has changed the formula of the oil to meet SN, so in other words, at least a couple variables have changed so further tests are not valid to compare with previous results. I DO intend to perform a couple more UOAs on this vehicle, but these UOAs will not have Particle Counts performed - I am mainly interested in seeing how the SN formula of Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 compares to the SM formula. A Mobil 1 M1-209 was used as the new filter.

I hope you all have enjoyed this series...I will continue to post the next UOAs on this vehicle as well as my 2011 Tundra.

I have always looked forward to your UOA/PC's. It is an awesome series and I appreciate your kindness in sharing these results!

This is M1EP though, or have you switched to "regular" M1.

Last edited:
Awsome!!
thumbsup2.gif

It sure looks like all of the premium oil filters are so close to each other in performance that you might as well go by price as opposed to manufacturer's claims.

Thanks for this study.
01.gif

Thanks for your immense contributions!

I shopped recently for a new truck to replace my 2000 Tundra, but decided that the 2011 Tundra was not a good fit for me. Neither was the Tacoma. I told the salesman to call me when they open up the 1st generation Tundra assembly line again!

Good luck with your new wheels, and I look forward to your future reports.

Thanks for the detailed info.

Too bad that you did not include at least one run with a lower end filter such as a Fram Extra Guard or even a stock Toyota filter.

Thanks again.

Another word of thanks for all of the time and money spent, and being nice enough to share with us all---and enduring all of the comments made.
Apprecaite your efforts
Steve

Thank you for your great post and sharing with us your hard work. I appreciate all your kindness and knowledge you've shared with the members of BITOG community with your excellent analysis.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Thank you for your great post and sharing with us your hard work. I appreciate all your kindness and knowledge you've shared with the members of BITOG community with your excellent analysis.

+100!

Originally Posted By: mongo161

+100!
Not sure how useful this is anymore, the Fram used may have been old enough to be the old single ply Extended Gaurd, and Mobil1 has switched suppliers

Back