06 SI - AMSOIL SSO 0w30 - 16350 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Below is the oil report. I'm providing this first, but I ask that you read through my notes (below the report) and thoughts prior to commenting, as I feel it'll add alot of valuable background info:

June29th2009HondaCivicOilReport.jpg

Previous run was SSO 0w30, K&N air filter, AMSOIL EaO oil filter. Two runs ago was Series 2000 0w30, K&N air filter, and Purolator PureOne oil filter.)

Notes:

Oil Consumption: I burned a total of 3.25 quarts, but only 2.5 quarts were added this run (It was 3.5 quarts last time over ~2k less miles). This is important - my sump was down .75 quarts when I took this sample. I had not added any make-up oil in about 5000 miles, to prevent skewing the result.

Air Filter: K&N Drop-in panel filter. At the beginning of this run, it had 14,500 miles on it without being cleaned. So by the end, it had run over 30k miles. I wanted to see how effective K&N's continued to filter over a 30k run, and I'm very happy with the results. My silicon went DOWN (relatively) even with a longer run on the oil and a decrease in total sump capacity (at time of sample) of about 15%.

Oil Filter: Purolator Pure-One PL14610. My last run was AMSOIL EaO, so I wanted to compare and see if I saw anything worthwhile in the more expensive filter. The AMSOIL probably provides much better filtration of small particles, but my report says it didn't make a difference and the Purolator held on strong for over 16k miles of filter build-up. I checked out the filter carefully after removing it, and it really looked good inside (i.e. everything looked to be holding up fine).

Driving Conditions: This oil was run for 9 months, including 5-6 months of freezing regularly freezing weather, tons of road salt. On the coldest days, I'd warm my car up for 1 minute max. Most of the time I just let the idle drop from 2000 rpms to 1500 rpms and then take off (about 15 seconds worth of idling). I always attempt to avoid idling for more than 2 minutes straight, in all conditions.

I drive the car hard. Through 16000 miles, I was still redlining the car about 5-10 times a day (8000 rpm redline). I shift at 4500-5000 rpms once she's warmed up. I cruise at 3500-4000 rpms on the highway. Even with all this, I still get (religiously) 28-30mpg in mixed driving, and 32-35 when doing lots of highway. No track days, no autocross.

Overall comments: Extremely pleased. Every wear level pretty much decreased on a PPM/1000 miles basis, especially considering the lesser total oil volume for the diffusion of dissolved metals. Very pleased with the filtering, the viscosity, the flashpoint, and the TBN.

I want to take a second and give applause to AMSOIL SSO. This is a higher-revving, hard-driven engine (albeit a Honda engine) and this oil has proven that it can go for 16000-20000 miles for me. During it's run over the past 30k+ miles, oil consumption has slowly decreased to less than 1 quart every 5k, which is completely acceptable to me.

I've now switched to Pennzoil Platinum 5w30....I had bought a bunch of it to use in my 08 Legacy GT, but decided that car wants a heavier oil. I'll run 10k on PP 5w30 and do another check to see how it compares head-to-head with AMSOIL.

Love to hear thoughts and comments!

Joe

P.s. A humorous note on cleaning the K&N filter after 30k. Holy [censored]. I had to clean it for 20 minutes straight to get all of the debris out. And I'm not talking fine grit. I'm talking CHUNKS of leaves, twigs, and other stuff that was caught in it. I swear I must've had about 15-20 oak leaves worth fall out. I can't believe the car was still breathing through all that [censored].

All oils sheared a bit. That's about it. It would have been nice to have no consumption like most of us mundanes ..but given the nature of the beast and the beast master, it's not excessive.

On your K&N. My feelings are that the gauze has so many cleanings to it. Your adhering to the 30k interval. Mine showed normal silicon numbers for about 5-6 cleanings which were done semi-annually ..which was about 9-10k.

Gary - If I get 150k out of the oil filter with the current filtration numbers, I'll be quite happy, it will have paid for itself, and I'll walk away fine :)

All the oils stayed within grade but are a bit lower than their original numbers. My consumption was 1 quart every 2k miles until 26k miles on the engine (and my switch to series 2000 0w30), since then it has very gradually slowed to 1 quart/5k....which seems to me to be a pretty good level.

This engine is a "tune-up every 105k" engine, which includes plugs and a valve adjustment. So I should be about 60-65% through my valve adjustment lifespan.

Impressive run, and you're right, on a ppm/mile basis, everything went down, and the consistency is amazing! Good show!

I have no doubt that with regular top-off's this oil could easily go 25k or more miles.

It will be really interesting to see how consumption does with the PP 5W-30 - whether you have to 'start over' and work the engine down to reasonable consumption.

I must say, having got to these results with the SSO, i'd be a bit hesitant to change what is working really, really, well.

Very nice run and report. 'Course I would change the oil every 6 months in Fall and Spring.

I think this is a great report. Also shows how well Honda engines wear.

Make up oil did help the TBN and probably kept the oil from going out of grade as it was close.

I doubt think Iron is high when the universal avg for that engine is probably based a 4,000 mile OCI.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Again, another SSO showing high iron like M1, wondering if SSO is actually M1 EP + Amsoil proprietary additive ?

I don't follow. 1 ppm of Fe per 1000 miles is "high iron"? You are kidding, right? If this was conventional oil with 6 ppm of Fe at 6000 miles, some guys here would ejaculate immediately. They would scream: "NIRVANA!!!"

Report looks good.

If any guys here do that I want them removed from here....the pervs!!.............
09.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
e·jac·u·late
v. e·jac·u·lat·ed, e·jac·u·lat·ing, e·jac·u·lates
v.tr.
1. To eject or discharge abruptly.
2. To utter suddenly and passionately; exclaim.

Again, another SSO showing high iron like M1, wondering if SSO is actually M1 EP + Amsoil proprietary additive ?

I don't think you know how to analyze oil reports, with that statement. My report shows 1 PPM Iron per 1,000 miles of driving. The universal average is based on a UOA of 6,000 miles and I'm guessing a full sump. My car is showing LOW iron, not high.

Perhaps you need to go back and read some primers on interpretation of these results?

What I meant high is higher than universal average, I know the number is not really high, but compared to universal average is still higher.

BTW: I can't find any hard evidence on the iron for this combination of engine and oil runs linearly during the OCI course, anyone can enlighten me ?

My point is the UOA for M1 EP and SSO tends to show higher than average of Iron, so wondering if they are the same oil with different additive.

Last edited:
Quote:
What I meant high is higher than universal average, I know the number is not really high, but compared to universal average is still higher.

BTW: I can't find any hard evidence on the iron for this combination of engine and oil runs linearly during the OCI course, anyone can enlighten me ?

My point is the UOA for M1 EP and SSO tends to show higher than average of Iron, so wondering if they are the same oil with different additive.

Can you cite examples? It's kind of a contradiction to have no evidence that Fe runs in some linear manner ..yet you're citing a universal average of unknown composite mileage.

I'm trying to figure where you're coming from here.

Tip No. 3:
Learn About Magnitudes of Change for Common Test Results
Nothing is more frustrating than seeing a wear metal result change from two to four (a 100 percent increase), only to find that the lab did not flag the data as significant. This can often leave you wondering if something was missed. One key to resolving this situation is to grasp how vanishingly small one part per million (ppm) is. To put this into understandable terms, try this: find a standard-size (not jumbo) paper clip composed of iron and dissolve it in one liter (1.06 quarts) of oil. Take a sample of this oil, send it to the lab and have it analyzed. If the lab has perfect calibration on a perfect spectrometer - one able to pick up all the iron in the sample - the result should come back close to 500 parts per million by weight (the standard reporting scale for elemental analysis). This illustrates how a large numerical value may be associated with a small actual quantity of material

source http://www.noria.com/learning_center/category_article.asp?articleid=476&relatedbookgroup=OilAnalysis

Javier

Kr - A universal average on this engine is based upon ~6k miles. To call iron high, you need to proportionally apply the universal average against the mileage of the specific UOA.

In this case, the mileage of the UOA was 2.725 times the universal average mileage. The Iron was 2.125 times the universal average.

Therefore, my iron levels displayed in this UOA were lower than the universal averages for this engine.

I hope this helps display why your statements have been so off base.

Last edited:
Looks good. Lot of make up oil though. I would have thought the Tbn would be a tad higher but it can hang in there for awhile.

Yeah, my car is a consumer. My last run took 3.5 quarts in 14,500 miles though (blackstone listed it as 4 quarts, but it was 3.5).

I was impressed that this run added 2000 miles and 1 quart less make-up, and the TBN only dropped .6. And I was .75 quarts low in the sump. If I had kept up my make-up oil, I could probably run 20,000 miles and have a TBN of 2.5-3.0 with this oil.

Maybe I'll do that one of these days....

A qt every 5000 miles or so.....yes this would bug me, but it's not really high consumption.
Especially given this:

Quote:
....still redlining the car about 5-10 times a day (8000 rpm redline). I shift at 4500-5000 rpms once she's warmed up.

Then tack on this:
Quote:
I had not added any make-up oil in about 5000 miles, to prevent skewing the result.

And we can rule out dilution....IOW's, if he had added a qt near the end, the results would have indeed been skewed, but the UOA would have been eye popping at first glance, IMHO. (vs "high" iron
crackmeup2.gif
)

..........BTW: I can't find any hard evidence on the iron for this combination of engine and oil runs linearly during the OCI course, anyone can enlighten me ?.............

At another site, someone posted two consecutive UOAs from the same sample of factory fill oil in their VW turbo motor, at something like 1000 miles and 4000 miles. For most metals, as I recall, there was not a linear increase with mileage. I don't know if this would also hold true for a fully broken in motor.

The rule of thumb here seems to be that wear metals increase linearly with mileage, but I have yet to see a plot of metal concentration vs mileage that proves or disproves that assertion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back